• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Hottoddy 2015 - 2016

This is my first full year growing in the Boise area. Last season turned out mediocre at best. Hopefully, I learned my lessons about the weather and soil differences and make the correct adjustments.

Here's the first 4 trays to germinate (72 plants). These are under a 4 bulb T5s. I've got another tray under the desk, and another 72+ in the germination station starting to sprout.

16211200088_ed942f6b08_c.jpg

Closer shot of some of the early performers. While the T5s run much hotter, the plants seem to be growing out (sideways) better.

16372854386_957f2036b1_c.jpg

I'm also working part-time with a small, organic farm this year (5 acres). They supply produce to Boise restaurants, and even a local sauce maker. I will be in charge of the peppers. They are already growing about 5 varieties, but I hope to add another 100 plants. My hope is to buy some farming land in the future, and this will be an education!

Check out my profile for the 2015 grow list ... and feel free to give me a bump!

tctenten said:
Those plants look nice and lush.  How old are they?   

Thank you. Without looking at tags, the larger ones are probably from my earliest batches sown between Dec. 20-22. That makes it about 5+ weeks from when the seeds hit the dirt. I was too lazy to mark germination dates - but that would be about 4+ weeks.

moruga welder said:
they look great !  what are you using for fertilizer ?       :onfire:

They are still in no-fert seedling soil, but last week I started using Fox Farms Grow Big (6-4-4). So far, I'm just using a tiny cap full per gallon every other watering.

Heres a Sunday, 2/8/15 update. The Galapagoense and annuums below were from pepperlover.

Capsicum Galapagoense. Looking a little fuzzy and definitely different.
16291269310_38fcf3b2e7_c.jpg

Albanian Red Hot - Aci Kirjsdljfsoejaosidjfoasjfarnuvit (or something like that) - these all have big floppy elephant ears
15856166614_1835a37c50_c.jpg

Aleppo - lots of new stuff bursting out.

16478699725_e9f963eb7d_c.jpg

Some of the chinenses cranking along.

15856168934_b3fee25925_c.jpg

Have a great week!

Nice looking plants, 'toddy!

In Boise, eh?  Look up Siliman (Ken Franz).
He hasn't been on the forum for awhile, but grows peppers in Boise.  
Might be a good neighbor pepper-grower to bounce ideas around with!

PaulG said:
Nice looking plants, 'toddy!

In Boise, eh?  Look up Siliman (Ken Franz).
He hasn't been on the forum for awhile, but grows peppers in Boise.  
Might be a good neighbor pepper-grower to bounce ideas around with!

Thanks, PaulG!

I will look up Siliman. As you may recall, we moved from Tualatin last March due to a job transfer. It gets much hotter in the summer and I eventually installed a sunshade - but probably too late. I think that the heat/sun stress and a local compost (which may have been too acidic) contributed to a mediocre season. This year I'm actually going to put a lot of plants in the ground (raised rows, no-till style). Couldn't do that in Tualatin!

The Aerogarden is pulling "double duty" with some chinenses while waiting for seeds to sprout. 6 solo cups sit nicely between the domes. Curious to see how they do under LED lights, even if only for a while.

16540652385_49cecbd0fd_c.jpg

hottoddy said:
The Aerogarden is pulling "double duty" with some chinenses while waiting for seeds to sprout. 6 solo cups sit nicely between the domes. Curious to see how they do under LED lights, even if only for a while.

You have a "New Tip Available" I see...lol

ribbedturtleneck said:
You have a "New Tip Available" I see...lol

Yes, it was quite enlightening. It said something like, "Did you know some plants grow more tall, and some grow more bushy, of the same variety?" Impressive tip!

Here's a few updated pictures from today. The first is a backlit shot of the top row chinenses with some annuums and others on the south facing window sill (85 plants). Another 72 are under the desk.

16646257892_68d46f3e13_c.jpg

The Albanian Red Hots are definitely the tallest and earliest to flower.

16647247385_ed49434c1c_c.jpg

... But these Lucys aren't too far behind.

16459684828_b0998dba9d_c.jpg

... And lastly, a couple of the darkies (Bhutlah & Naglah).

16024955334_16f93eebb3_c.jpg

:P  :P

"Heres a Sunday, 2/8/15 update. The Galapagoense and annuums below were from pepperlover.
Capsicum Galapagoense. Looking a little fuzzy and definitely different."

Nice to see the Galapagoense germinated for you. Was wondering if they had. Put mine in dirt on 2/14 and am still waiting, of course. The Aleppos and Albanian Red Hots sprouted within a week. Curious, how long did it take for the Galaps to hook?

ShortcutToHell said:
"Heres a Sunday, 2/8/15 update. The Galapagoense and annuums below were from pepperlover.
Capsicum Galapagoense. Looking a little fuzzy and definitely different."

Nice to see the Galapagoense germinated for you. Was wondering if they had. Put mine in dirt on 2/14 and am still waiting, of course. The Aleppos and Albanian Red Hots sprouted within a week. Curious, how long did it take for the Galaps to hook?

Thanks again for the trade! I only sowed 2 and 1 germinated in about 2 weeks or so (didn't take exact notes). Nothing happened with the other seed for a month+, so I gave up on that one. My sole Galap is doing great though. I'll try to get a current picture in the next update. Hope you see some hooks soon!

I moved the non-chinenses into the greehounse (with space heater) and hope to move all in soon. The weather has been mild.

For St. Patrick's Day, here is one of my hot sauces (Green Machine) traveling in Europe. Can you guess the places?

11041314_10205269285924426_1368938422_n.jpg
961617_10205269292564592_1234927736_n.jpg

hottoddy said:
For St. Patrick's Day, here is one of my hot sauces (Green Machine) traveling in Europe. Can you guess the places?
Ooh, im thinkin Spain or France...but the weather seems too shitty to be Spain, so im sayin France. Final answer.

Runescape said:
Ooh, im thinkin Spain or France...but the weather seems too shitty to be Spain, so im sayin France. Final answer.

ShortcutToHell said:
Not sure, but thinking St. Patrick's Catheral, Dublin, Ireland. At least somewhere in ireland. Fitting destinatiion considering today's date. Very clever, Todd.

Close. Unfortunately I'm not that clever but it does look St. Patrick-ish.  Picture one is at Saint Chapelle and number two is Notre Dame, both in Paris, France.

Here's one more.

Attachments

• 11072899_10205269272604093_26947769_n.jpg
    11072899_10205269272604093_26947769_n.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 36
Back