• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seeds have dark rings around them... are they dead?

I am attempting to germinate via the paper towel / ziplock method. I was checking on my seeds to see if any need to be planted yet and I started noticing that the there were several seeds that were showing no signs of life. Also, most of these seeds have a dark ring around the seed. 

DSC_0014.jpg

Are these seeds dead? It seems like there's a correlation to the bags that have this symptom seem to no be sprouting. Most of my seeds have been going for about 2 weeks in a plastic bin that is sitting on top of my heating mat. The mat is currently set to 90. The setup is in my basement so it's a little cooler down there. Rarely does the thermostat get that high.

Should I give up on this batch of seeds? Should I ride it out? Should I double down and start a second batch just in case? I'm leaning towards starting a second batch but unfortunately I don't have extras of a few varieties... :-(

Yea that's weak... I'm a noob so I expected that I would do something wrong this season. I've got some extras for a second batch for most of what I've lost. I might have to beg, borrow or steal for the others though haha.

ThePepperTrent said:
Hey just ask, chances are one of us has something you are looking for. 

Good point. It looks like the only lost all of my Reapers and Bubblegums. I did realize that I have some extras that I could trade if someone wanted them. Here's what I have if anyone is interested:

7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow
Bhut Jolokia
Cheiro Recife
Chocolate Habanero
Fatalii Yellow
Magnum Orange Habanero
Trinidad Chocolate Scorpion
Trinidad Congo
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion

Sirex,
Scorched is hooking me up with some Reapers and Bubblegums to replace the ones I lost.

As far as what am I looking for outside of those... After looking over my grow list I noticed I don't have any Nagas or Butch Ts at all. I'm not sure how I missed that... After watching GeogeJ's review of the 7 Pot Primo I'm interested in that pepper. I've seen a lot of good reviews on it. I'm willing to try just about anything that's out there that isn't already on my grow list. I don't discriminate haha.

Back