• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

White Fatalii

Anybody growing the white Fatalii from PepperLover? I have 1 small plant that is growing incredibly fast but staying small. It's only about 4 inches tall and already has buds on it.
http://imgur.com/y2GMyri
Here's a pic of the plant. I'm battling some edema and leaf curl right now, but that is clearing up with bottom watering and a fan.
http://imgur.com/CcEU3H2
I sowed the seed the first week in December. Is this growing fast or are my other plants growing slowly? Lol

By any chance, does your plant's environment include a temperature that is fairly constant? If day and night temperatures vary by only 1 or 2°C, this may have confused the plant slightly, and caused it to bloom at a much younger age than normal.
This is only a guess.

Other than the leaf curl/edema problems, that is one fine-looking plant!

I suspect that fruit setting this early on a plant might stunt its growth, if not removed. Again, merely a guess, but it seems likely. Nonetheless, i'd be tempted to try pollinating at least one... that plant looks strong, and it would be gratifying to have some token harvest before even planting them outside.

According to textbooks, that plant may not set fruit if the night/lights-out temperatures exceed 75°F, but i don't know just how unusual your plant is. Have there been other plants showing odd growth or behavior?

Thank you very much, Mikeg! You're right on the money with the constant temperature. I keep a space heater in the room and the temp ranges from 70° to around 74°. I was thinking the same thing and try to pollinate one of these. I'm not too worried about stunting its growth, I'm more excited to get pods. Lol. I've been having trouble with keeping my plants alive after 2-3 sets of true leaves. They just curl up and die. Then I started bottom watering and that seems to work miracles. So most of my plants are curly somewhat, but are working themselves out now. But yes, most are behaving oddly.

as Fataliis go, I'm currently growing:

Yellow
Red
Cream
"Not" Red
Mortalii

I have seed for Chocolate, Green/Mustard, and White, although I'm not currently growing them and it's getting a little late in the day to be starting seedlings with summer coming up.

Just based on my own experience, I think everything Mike said is correct. Although I understand the temptation, though (I mean, who doesn't want pods sooner?), I'd remove all of the flowers. I'd be looking to maximize vegetative growth at this stage of the game, trying to get to the point where I could top them as soon as possible.

Yes, you both are right. I probably should just remove them. It will pay off in the long run. I'm not even sure if I can get pods to set inside. Wow! There are more Fatalii's than I thought. I'll have to look into Mortalii. Thank you for your responses and I'm happy to hear there are others growing this variety.

I am growing Judy's white fatalii seeds are planted just waiting on them to pop.
It will be interesting to see how it grows out and how they taste.

i ate some that mike hess I think it was grew a year ago. white ones. they were bad ass. might have been white devil's tongue though.....memory fails every now and then.

Think I eat some yellow devils tongue at a Mexican restaurant once that some body stopped by and gave them boy was it hot but so good!

I am growing Judy's White Fatalii (and her Yellow and Black Fatalii also). My White Fatalii just hooked today, so no idea how fast they grow. The description on her website says the mature plant is only 8" tall, so I assume the "staying small" part is normal for it. Her description also says the plants are very productive, so hopefully all of us growing them will get lots of tasty White Fatalii pods this year!  :cool:

My white fatalii are doing well blackfatalii let me know about the flavor of the black fatalii's
The last time I eat a chocolate pepper it was chocolate beauty bell it tasted like dirt to me and bitter & sweet

If they taste that way to you I will grow them next year.
After my last experience I am real cautious on the blacks and brown peppers.
I don't want to get one and it taste like a flaming mudball to me lol
Thanks blackfatalii
Wicked Mike said:
as Fataliis go, I'm currently growing:YellowRedCream"Not" RedMortaliiI have seed for Chocolate, Green/Mustard, and White, although I'm not currently growing them and it's getting a little late in the day to be starting seedlings with summer coming up.Just based on my own experience, I think everything Mike said is correct. Although I understand the temptation, though (I mean, who doesn't want pods sooner?), I'd remove all of the flowers. I'd be looking to maximize vegetative growth at this stage of the game, trying to get to the point where I could top them as soon as possible.
Mike what actually is a mortalii?

Plantguy76 said:
My white fatalii are doing well blackfatalii let me know about the flavor of the black fatalii's
The last time I eat a chocolate pepper it was chocolate beauty bell it tasted like dirt to me and bitter & sweet
My only experience tasting a chocolate-colored pepper was a sweet (non-pungent) bell pepper.

As an aside, i have no clue why superhots seem to always be hotter if they are the brown/black/chocolate-fruited type. If anyone can explain that, i'd be fascinated.

I posted, in another thread, that chocolate-colored fruit are red fruit that retain all their chlorophyll from the unripe phase of their development. That chlorophyll is what lends the bitter and chalky elements to the taste.

I don't know why a black/chocolate- colored fatalii would taste sweet. The only reason i would remark upon it here, in this fashion, is to inspire someone with more knowledge to comment on this, perhaps explain. Also, i would like to enquire, has anyone noticed a similar flavor-element to 'green' and 'mustard' colored ripe fruit? They are pepper varieties with the same gene, and also (more obviously) retain chlorophyll at the ripened state as 'chocolate' colored fruit do.

This is a bit off-topic, but the conversation is fascinating, and it seemed appropriate to ask... thanks.

I have my first ripened pod of the season! My first white Fatalii pod turned out to be a light yellowish/cream color. Here are some pics of the pod off of the plant.

http://imgur.com/ReFqNhm
http://imgur.com/OltowQR
http://imgur.com/E4rd0jk

Here is the same pod still ripening.

http://imgur.com/YL876B6
http://imgur.com/7rEyaPm

The aroma reminded me of soury-type lemon scent. The flavor tasted very much like a yellow 7 pot...very fruity. The burn was very aggressive in the beginning, but mellowed out into a long-lasting, pleasurable burn. I only ate half at a time and the first half had the tip of the tongue and top of the throat burning accompanied by loud hiccups and streaming eyes and nose. Whew! Pretty hot for an inside early pod...pretty hot anyway. Lol. A+ Judy! I love this tiny productive plant.

Sorry everything is in reverse order. I dont know why I did it that way.

I'm am growing White Fatalii and Fatallii.
I have around 8-10 of each, seeds are from Fataliiseeds.

Back