• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Peppers strangely mild

Just starting this years seeds.

Last years fruited fairly well.

I had scotch bonnets, ghosts, and 7 pots.

The ghosts were surprisingly mild, I am located in Saskatchewan. What might be a kicker as to why my peppers remained mild.

my jalapenos had 0 heat last year. never really figured it out, maybe just some crossed with a bell or something lol.

my jalapenos had 0 heat last year. never really figured it out, maybe just some crossed with a bell or something lol.

Some of my jalapeños had 0 heat last year as well. I had one plant that had great heat (grown from seed) and 6 plants bought from a greenhouse that ended up producing tons of pods but they were as mild as a bell..

Pepper plants had it to good. Spoiled I mean. Did you grow indoors?

They were inside from mid jan from seed till around may, then went into a 8x8 greenhouse, the plants were healthy the fruit looked great but just wasn't as hot as I thought they should have been.

I would try watering less frequently and letting the soil dry out when you have pods. Heard this causes the plant to get stressed and increases the heat in pods. I believe this to be true from my own experiences.

I had russet mites last year and I think it stressed the hell out of my jalapeño plant. These jalapeños blew my habaneros out the water for heat. I destroyed the whole garden besides that one jalapeño plant and trimmed it down to manage my REVENGE on the mites. I dusted tons of sulphur to kill the mites. The jalapeño plant already sprang back up with new leaves and is so far mite free. We will see if this jalapeno plant has its heat in its genetics or was it the stress from the mites.

I have found that it usually means you need to back off the watering. Let the dirrt dry before the next watering. Could be a combo of other factors.

Back