• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

The time has come to better myself!

Alrighty, as some of yall know I am at a crossroads in my life. Things have not been good for me lately. I am 30 years old, overweight, have high blood pressure and I am going through a divorce. I am going to use this to my advantage to better myself.

I have a newfound strength to better myself. It is something I must do. The time is now to start a new life.

My goals:

I am 5'11" and 235 pounds. I have always struggled with my weight. This changes today. I have got to lose 60 pounds. That puts me at 175 pounds. And it will be a toned 175 pounds.

I am a smoker. I have quit a couple times, once for a year and a half. But I always get stressed and pick right back up where I started. This is going to change. I felt so much healthier when I quit before.

I am a drinker. I have had issues with alcohol abuse in the past. I have been working hard since our daughter was born to control my drinking and I have been very successful in keeping my drinking in check. And I intend on keeping it that way.

So that is where I stand right now. The time has come to become a better person so I can live a happier, healthier life. Is there anyone else here who feels enough is enough and wants to join me in my journey to being a better me? Who wants to be my wingman? Let's do this. Kick these bad feelings, nasty habits and crippling weight's butts and show them we are better than this!

I was got up to 230 after I quit smoking. Got to the point I had to hold my breath to tie my shoes. Tried the paleo/primal thing. Did that and p90x got down into 160s pretty quick. Ate pretty damn good too, all that grassfed beef and no grains. Ended up hurting my back pushing myself with the p90x/insanity that I was doing at the time. Cant really work out any more. Fell off the paleo wagon and have been slowly creeping back up in weight. I miss eating on that level of healthy but we so broke right now is ramen night seversl days a week.

The commit losenges are what finally worked for me to quit smoking. Tried lots of different ways. Quitting drinking was more a medication side effect I got put on zoloft to with my borderline personality disorder and anxiety attacks. When ever I drank I would get sick as a dog from the meds, kept getting worse and worse and eventually I just stopped drinking altogether. Been off the meds for 6 months and still haven't had or wanted a drink. Though I would never recommend zoloft, horrible shit it is.

GL with your goals my friend. They are achievable

Results of a few months paleo and p90x. I ended up much more fit looking before I got hurt

I also take pills for my hypertension. Lisinopril and hydrochlorothiazide. I've taken it for years. I shouldn't even be on this crap considering I just turned 30 in December!

Congrats to you as well, D3monic! I have heard of P90X. I already have a bad back, so I will be taking things a little slower than that, but last time I lost weight I acheived it with some reasonable cardio, a little strength training and a low sodium, properly portioned diet. I went from 240's down to 170's in no time. I was amazing how quickly it came off and made me realize that I had control if I put my mind to it. Like a fool, I didn't stick to it.

I refuse to get on any of those nasty pills. I took them as a kid. Screw that. If I was really hell bent on feeling good from a drug, I would just drive down to Colorado for the weekend and use the all natural approach. Then I would probably gain back 10 pounds from all the Carl's Jr. I would destroy. But no, I have no intentions on using any such stimulants, prescription or not, to help me out. This is about bettering myself and being free from all those bad influences.

A lot of people would use the divorce to descend into even worse things Ben.  Really proud of you for taking a stand and pushing ahead into your new life.  You CAN do this.

One day at a time brother.  

It kills me that our marriage is in the dumps. Through all our problems, I do love her. Always have, probably always will. And I wish her nothing but the best in the life she chooses. Unfortunately she is taking the dirty approach to this. Normally, I would get angry as well. But I have lived in hatred for a long time. Now that I am on my own, I have come to the realization that you can't live life perpetually pissed off at every aspect of life. That is no way to live. And with a little luck and hard work, I will be able to make a new life with someone whom I can love as much as I loved my wife.

I've had hypertension since I was 16. Still overweight and still on pills. I'm done with them you're done with them, what do ya say? Let's do this together.

I'm in! I too started taking them when I was a teenager. We need a weigh in from you and your goals. Any other bad habits or anything you want to change?

Of course, my pledges came at a very bad time. I just found out that I am watching my nieces tonight, ages 7 and 9 years old. And guess what they want for dinner? Frenchees. For those of yall who have never travelled through Nebraska, a frenchee is a deep fried grilled cheese sammich. It is amazing as it sounds.

I had never even heard of one until recently. Me, the fat guy who loves to cook and try new things, had never heard about a frenchee until earlier this month when I travelled through Nebraska and came across the only restaurant open at 11pm in Kearney, Nebraska. King's!

Haha, I remember eating  them all the time as a kid here in AZ. My hypertension is also hereditary, doesn't mean I can't curb it. Not good being this young and taking pills. I've tried doing this many times by myself and I can tell you, it is much better having someone else with the same issues to be doing the same  thing. Time to eat a salad and air up some bike tires...

Same here. Both my parents have it as does my sister. Seeing as we are roughly the same size, I think a race is in order!

Most of this applies to my life as well, but I want to add that there's no question what the first thing to do is ... it's to quite smoking.

The second thing to do is walk, because it's good for the anxiety in addition to your pulmonary system.

theres life after divorce my friend been there and done that ! i fought for my kids and house and i won . so yes anything is achievable . like you my blood pressure was up . been at the gym for 3 months lost 22 pounds first 4 weeks . just cut out all processed foods , sugar , chips , etc.  also i don't drink nor use tobacco , and i feel great . my lids all have since grown and out now . i have a great woman of 9 years . life couldn't be better .   it does get better ! hang tough , and find a good friend to talk to when you feel the need . really helps to talk ! good luck my friend !       :onfire:

TrueNorthReptiles said:
Alrighty, as some of yall know I am at a crossroads in my life. Things have not been good for me lately. I am 30 years old, overweight, have high blood pressure and I am going through a divorce. I am going to use this to my advantage to better myself.

I have a newfound strength to better myself. It is something I must do. The time is now to start a new life.

My goals:

I am 5'11" and 235 pounds. I have always struggled with my weight. This changes today. I have got to lose 60 pounds. That puts me at 175 pounds. And it will be a toned 175 pounds.

I am a smoker. I have quit a couple times, once for a year and a half. But I always get stressed and pick right back up where I started. This is going to change. I felt so much healthier when I quit before.

I am a drinker. I have had issues with alcohol abuse in the past. I have been working hard since our daughter was born to control my drinking and I have been very successful in keeping my drinking in check. And I intend on keeping it that way.

So that is where I stand right now. The time has come to become a better person so I can live a happier, healthier life. Is there anyone else here who feels enough is enough and wants to join me in my journey to being a better me? Who wants to be my wingman? Let's do this. Kick these bad feelings, nasty habits and crippling weight's butts and show them we are better than this!

I kinda already started a weight loss/hypertension thing. Stopped eating meat and started eating and drinking a shitload of fruits and vegetables.

Blood pressure came right down. Greens are a natural blood thinner.

Whatever path you choose good luck.
Also, since you say you're taking a lot of pills watch Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.

able eye said:

Also, since you say you're taking a lot of pills watch Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.

I never said I was taking a lot of pills. I take my blood pressure pill. That is it.

1st let me say in all seriousness, that quitting smoking really really sucks. It took me years to quit (6 or so years ago) and I don't think I could have done it without some prescriptions. (Chantix in my case).

Now with that being said, I did put on 20+ pounds when I quit. It happens. You just need to exercise more and it will come off.

TrueNorthReptiles said:
I also take pills for my hypertension. Lisinopril and hydrochlorothiazide. I've taken it for years. I shouldn't even be on this crap considering I just turned 30 in December!

You know, you can easily consume copious amounts of salt and alcohol on that little pill. It is like magic. :rofl:

Back