Crowd Sourced Pepper Database

http://pepperdatabase.org

Why did I create a new site?
1. Editing wikipedia source is pretty hard to figure out, especially for more advanced things. Also since it's completely free form the data can't be queried very effectively. All our data editing is done in using user friendly forms and stored in a database.

2. Wikipedia is very harsh with moderation, especially image uploads. We have pre-negotiated with some websites allowing their copyrighted content. We will not remove content unless asked by the copyright holder.

3. Completely pepper focused. Will be easy to find everything and keep the site relatively small.

4. Added a review system for users to rate peppers, there are lots of new varieties coming out and it's impossible to grow them all, hopefully the reviews will help to provide some guidance.

5. All data is able to be searched, So we can do searches like .. I want to see all glogs located near me.. I want to see all people growing bhut jolkia.. I want to see all reviews from juanito.. i want to see all varieties that are brown.. i want to find accession # .. 

I can promise you
1. no adds
2. no premium features(everything is free)
3. Swift Moderation / Bug Fixes

The power is in the users hands to create and update the data.
Will you help us build the most extensive and accurate database for peppers?

http://pepperdatabase.org

Very cool.  I don't know if its possible, but it would be cool if we could point the wiki Glog section to our THP Glog.  I like the idea of seeing a map of glogs and which ones are where, but I dont want to maintain multiple glogs on multiple sites, especially since THP has very good traction in Gloging

turbo said:
Very cool.  I don't know if its possible, but it would be cool if we could point the wiki Glog section to our THP Glog.  I like the idea of seeing a map of glogs and which ones are where, but I dont want to maintain multiple glogs on multiple sites, especially since THP has very good traction in Gloging
well you can paste a link to your glog on thp, as far as fully integrating updates / discussion to the thp topic, don't think that's possible.

Even if you don't use this for gloging i hope we will compile all information on varieties / cultivars / species to be a one stop reference when wanting info on a pepper.

juanitos said:
well you can paste a link to your glog on thp, as far as fully integrating updates / discussion to the thp topic, don't think that's possible.

Even if you don't use this for gloging i hope we will compile all information on varieties / cultivars / species to be a one stop reference when wanting info on a pepper.

Ah, got it, and done!  I really like the site.  I'll be adding content where I can.

Update: Really like the UI for adding pepper to the grow list.  Very easy to use!

One note: it would be cool if the source field could also allow a URL.  That way we could post a link to the site we purchased the seed from or the THP profile of the person we got the seed from.  Then on the verity page it could either show or link to all the people who grow that pepper and their sources.  That would really be useful when trying to figure out where to get seeds for a variety.

I'm not sure how much customization you can do on the wiki source code, just thoughts

juanitos said:
i hope we will compile all information on varieties / cultivars / species to be a one stop reference when wanting info on a pepper.

This is great. Thanks for setting it up. With the pepper knowledge people have here, this could easily become the only pepper reference anyone needs.

It looks awesome Juanitos. I think it can become a very helpful resource. Do you think there's a way to associate the varieties with the species, like a cross index. For example, if you click on Species, then say Annuum, all the annuum varieties in the database would show underneath the species description?

juanitos said:

This is very cool and a big thanks for doing this.

Peter S said:
It looks awesome Juanitos. I think it can become a very helpful resource. Do you think there's a way to associate the varieties with the species, like a cross index. For example, if you click on Species, then say Annuum, all the annuum varieties in the database would show underneath the species description?
yeah that features in there...

Oops i changed the spelling on the species, so all the varieties need to be refreshed =] give me a couple minutes

yeah its fixed the lists are on the species pages 

Love the idea. I'll write when I have some more time. I was wondering if we could have a gallery at the bottom. I think wikipedia does this. There is a lot of variation, so it might be helpful to have a nice gallery at the bottom of the page.

I like the idea, but I don't think that Mediawiki is a good idea to use for glogs. For starters I can go to anyone's glog right now and write an update or edit any posts that have been made.

Furthermore, while you do have some basic spam protection in place, the answer is always the same (and you have a hint in place). Any one with malicious intent and some programing skill can write a bot to fill the database with spam users.

Combine my first point and second point and you have a recipe for maintenance hell.

BTW, I don't mean to be a downer or shoot you down at all. Just voicing ideas in hopes of seeing this take off.

I lied and added a page for the pimenta de Neyde. I don't think it's a good idea to use images and descriptions found on the web. Those should all be replaced to respect others ip imo. Lots of us grow and take pictures, so we should be able to add original content.

Dulac said:
I lied and added a page for the pimenta de Neyde. I don't think it's a good idea to use images and descriptions found on the web. Those should all be replaced to respect others ip imo. Lots of us grow and take pictures, so we should be able to add original content.

Mostly the issues with IP can be avoided if a byline is added stating the source of the image. Then if the source still wants it removed then they can request that be done.

filmost said:

Mostly the issues with IP can be avoided if a byline is added stating the source of the image. Then if the source still wants it removed then they can request that be done.

That's not how it works. You need to ask permission and then cite the source unless they don't care if you do. They own the image. And I won't allow the image I published in this wiki to be on profit sites (seed venders for example), so I will dmca them if they don't cooperate.

Edit: It also upsets owners of images if you don't ask permission. There are a lot of people in this community who get upset when venders do this to them, which I think is understandable. I don't think any of us want to upset the community.

Back