• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Roast Beef Po' Boy, Inspired by Parasol's in New Orleans

Just talked to my mom and she was telling me she found a recipe that almost nails Parasol's roast beef po' boys. Parasol's is an old New Orleans legendary sandwich shop/bar. They were featured on Triple D (Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives), and somebody watched it and put their method into print form on the interwebs, and that's the one my mom found. So here it is, for any others that want authentic without leaving home.

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2009/07/21/parasols-style-roast-beef-po-boy-recipe/

Awwww yeahhhhh!

I remember seeing something about there being two popular places there, and one guy boiled it first or something, and the other guy roasted all the way through. Something or other. I forget lol.

Thanks man!

Yeah I remember that guy swore by this method. And people loved it. Cool!

great find man.  love the way he explains it all and puts it together.

Thanks Phil, I can't wait to try this one out.  Living down here in Gods country we have plenty of sources for the french bread, just needed a good beef recipe and this could be the one.  That second cooking in the oven is going to make this crazy moist and tender.

jimbo53 said:
Thanks Phil, I can't wait to try this one out.  Living down here in Gods country we have plenty of sources for the french bread, just needed a good beef recipe and this could be the one.  That second cooking in the oven is going to make this crazy moist and tender.

Leidenheimer's is my favorite. Best po' boy bread, by a long shot IMO

Bitchin' kitchin', going to book mark this for later.

Though I'm not sure I can get ahold of Kitchen Bouquet. Or understand why they throw away most of the stock instead of reducing it. Would make the KB redundant, if it's what I think it is.

miguelovic said:
Bitchin' kitchin', going to book mark this for later.

Though I'm not sure I can get ahold of Kitchen Bouquet. Or understand why they throw away most of the stock instead of reducing it. Would make the KB redundant, if it's what I think it is.

The KB confuses me too. Why use that crap? You have oil and flour in the recipe, just cook it into a roux for color and flavor!

Kitchen Bouquet is to replace making a reduced veggie stock I think.
Ya it has some stuff in it that people might not like to eat.

I think you'd miss it if you left it out.

Mom always used it for gravy,added color and flavor.
She only used a capful in a large amount of Gravy at Turkey Day or whenever.

I'd say it is probably one of the least offensive additives used these days.

Can't be even near as bad as liquid smoke I'd think.

I have a million year old bottle of it around somewhere I think....

I simmer veggies to make my stock for mops and bastes.
Takes all day to cook and then more time to reduce...I make a couple gallons and reduce it , then freeze it in ice cube trays for latter.

I don't see it , kitchen bouquet , as crap in general.
Just another shortcut.

Who the heck only makes a 2 lb. batch of anything that good?

I'd do at least 10 lbs. at a time and make my own veggie stock to add to the gravy.

But I like my place smelling like good eats. :)
Don't mind the work either.

2LBS.  = .Appetizers . LOL

I'm thinking to smoke the beef first,just for flavor,not to cook it.
Then use the recipe as posted.

But I think I'd like a light smoke with it.

Same thing with my Pastrami.
Smoke bring out the beef flavor if not overdone.

I see a 30 lb chunk of beef in my future.

After I see about a recipe for making the right bread. :)

A 2+ft. long samich.....Hmmmm....maybe a couple or 3.  Yee Haaa!

Thanks for posting this link.

In my experience with Kitchen Bouquet, it's been used as a color adding agent. I suppose it could add some flavor, too. When I say crap, I guess I could be being unfair, seeing it as a color agent, only. And yeah, I agree with your assessment of liquid smoke. No can do.... real smoke, please!

I was wondering why they only went 2 lbs, as well..... Maybe just to make a personal sized portion. We don't typically buy roasts that small, but I could see where that's all you would need for a couple of sandwiches

Didn't mean to rag on you.
A LOT of people are fed up with preservatives etc.(as they should be for health reasons), being the main ingredient in a lot of stuff added to our foods.

Like I said,I have a gazillion year old bottle of the stuff-kitchen bouquet.
I only see it as a last resort if I am in a pinch and have to use it.
If you ever tasted it straight out of the bottle,I can see it adding flavor to whatever it's used with.
Like I said,Mom only added a cap full to probably a Gal. of gravy at times.

I think I got the bottle because at the last minute I was volunteered to make Biscuits and gravy before we left on a fishing cub trip.
I didn't have enough Sausage and or Bacon on hand (to help with the gravy additives).

Didn't have time to get supplies.
A last min. thing.
The 99 cent store had kitchen bouquet.

Canned 99 store gravy is worse than eating wallpaper paste-not an option.
 I remembered Mom used kitchen bouquet and figured it couldn't hurt.
Instead of white starchy gravy it was brown starchy gravy.  LOL
People wolfed it down,it looked great,though light on the sausage/bacon factor.

I see the time involved to do it right isn't worth only making only a couple Lbs. of anything.
ESPECIALLY since the recipe sounds like KILLER eats.

Since I'm rich and famous,I buy stuff on sale only.
$3.00 Lb. or less London Broil , Brisket or Chuck.
$,69 or less chicken - drums,thighs,quarters or breasts.
$6.00 fish/Salmon - not farm stuff . it sucks,tasteless.

I never buy less than I have $ for.
90 Lbs of brisket,London Broil (top Round) etc. lasts me a year after it's smoked/cooked and vac Packed.
Pork bellies on sale make a lot of Bacon and fried pig skins.
Brisket feeds my Pastrami addiction...

Looked it up afterwards, caramel, stock extract. I used it once a week for almost two years. Bit of a facepalm.

One of the money owners of a restaurant liked a simple beef stew his mother made, and passed me her recipe. It wasen't too shabby, the only thing I did was halve the amount and make a bowl for myself. Some food memories/recipes you can't really replace from scratch. French onion soup mix spinach dip sits up there. Sometimes I crave my fathers grilling and intentionally go out and burn the shit out of some sauced up chicken. I should share that story with him one day.

I' lean towards a brown roux like Phil. Even in a white sauce, though I won't take it as dark. Throwing boiling liquid away is still a huge no though :D

Kitchen Bouquet does nothing but add a brown color and an "off" flavor to any gravy. With overuse it is simply horrid.

Once had sauerbraten and I could could pick it out as a flavor. Did not like that.

As I've aged I've come to understand more and more how the larger food conglomerates have altered our foodstuffs in order to make them cheaper, last longer and deliver flavor (mostly salt) in more and more effective ways.  Whenever possible I'll avoid most additives.  Sometimes you can't - you're on a camping trip or the road (or drunk at 3am walking by a White Castle) - and you end up consuming some.  I don't turn my nose up at it and try not to sweat it too much.  The trans fats are the true danger imo.  

After you've been off em a while you really can pick out the tastes of processed foods when they come your way.  Sometimes it's a pure joy - Ima sucker for the boxed au gratin potatoes and I'll eat the whole bag of funyuns if you leave em in reach.  Parasol's is a fine establishment and their beef poor boy is a real delight.  My fav is the firecracker shrimp with grilled onions though!  

Can't say I've had the shrimp. I haven't eaten anything from Parasol's since I was a kid... and it was always the po' boys

Phil said:

Leidenheimer's is my favorite. Best po' boy bread, by a long shot IMO
You got dat right!

ACME has some pretty good po-boys. Their shrimp, oyster and soft-shell crabs ones are the bomb.

I love Check-in Check-out's on Old Spanish Trail roast-beef po-boys. Messiest things ever. And yummy!

Idk why anyone would use KB either, but it seems to be working for them.

Back