• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

CGN 21500 growing info?

Hey ya'll , I recieved some CGN 21500 seeds recently. I am looking for some info on how to grow these. I have heard they are semi wild... Is this statement accurate? If so I have never grown anything like it, so tips are welcome. Please give me all the info you got on them. I'm pretty excited about these...

TPT

Search it-

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/42273-good-lord-these-are-tasty-cgn-21500/

I spread a LOT of these seeds around and so did Chris (cmpman) a few years back.

Don't see why you would think they are hard to grow or easy...
Just another pepper.

A Good looker though.

My seeds were from Brazil in a trade.
I gave Chris seeds.
We both liked them and spread them around at the time.

Been a few years since we spread them around,don't know your sources purity etc.

Just treat them as any other pepper.
Never heard of them being semi wilds,new to me...
Possibly a local or Landrace but not a wild as far as I know.

I heard they were semi wild from some video, I forget. Hard grower never came to my mind, just different maybe. I am just going to treat them as any other pepper as my methods of madness seem to be working thus far. I got them from a member here forget the screen name. Maybe they will come forward...

CGN is the name code of the Dutch seed bank, CAP is from the german seed bank etc. They have a lot of ultra rare wilds, yes. But does this mean that all their seeds are semi wilds? No.

Many people (often the ones not from Europe) have no clue about what the seedbanks actually do.

A brief explenation;

Most seedbanks were not started until the Coldwar. Some are even in underground NBC proof bunkers. Seeds of as many possible varieties as store for a wide array of reasons/scenario's.

- Possible loss of all crops due to a nuclear bomb/disaster or plant deseases.
- Medical research (to see if there are useful compounds in exotic plants)
- Agricultural improvements ( ? X ? Makes a better fruit)
- retain rare plants in cause of extinction
- retain original strains in case of long term cross pollination (especially with wind pollinating types like corn)
- reference material for regular studies
- International who-can-piss-furthest talk between biologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEZVEHXD1jQ

Nigel reviews CGN 21500 and two other similar awesome peppers.

Fixed that link works now lol

Hey I can't take credit. The plants were given to me by joemammma (wes). Really though they are tasty and cool to watch grow. Just spreading the pepper love!

This may have been exclusive to my single CGN 21500 plant I grew last year but the stems seemed more easily broken from wind and such than my other varieties. Make sure you support them well. Other than that it was one of my favorites from last year. Great looking plant, very productive, great taste and heat.

I live in AZ zone 9b and it gets down to 29 degrees f here in winter with around 5 frost nights per winter. I have 1 overwinter I left outside the frost didn't kill and pulled off 2 baseball caps worth of peppers yesterday for my first batch with probably50 or more still on the plant. The ripen VERY slowly. They can take some cold and heat compared to other peppers. They grow very bushy so I'd top them early. They will also branch to an awesome Bonsai which is what I plan to do with mine this Dec begenning. Pods are easy to pull off the plant without scissors. They are very bushy and grow to around 4ft tall with good soil and fertility. My summers get up to 116 for high and I only gave it afternoon shade with

Attachments

• IMG_20190613_172643.jpg
    IMG_20190613_172643.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 91
Back