• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Alpaca Poop!

So one of the guys at the farmers market is a genuine alpaca farmer. Sells all things alpaca, including fertilizer.
He said it's great as a top dressing, mixed in with the soil, or as a tea. I'm really excited to try it out, probably as a tea first. But when should I try this on seedlings and how hard should I dilute it?

20150207_202130_zpsuvytn5mt.jpg
[/img]

And the money shot. Smells like dirt, looks great. Nice and pulverized.

20150207_202433_zpsrm3bvqge.jpg
[/img]

twilliams386 said:
So one of the guys at the farmers market is a genuine alpaca farmer. Sells all things alpaca, including fertilizer.
He said it's great as a top dressing, mixed in with the soil, or as a tea. I'm really excited to try it out, probably as a tea first. But when should I try this on seedlings and how hard should I dilute it?

20150207_202130_zpsuvytn5mt.jpg

And the money shot. Smells like dirt, looks great. Nice and pulverized.

20150207_202433_zpsrm3bvqge.jpg

You going to drink that tea hot or cold?   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Great stuff, I got a bag full of cow manure still from last year  I got from the farm down the road. 

D3monic said:
You going to drink that tea hot or cold?   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Great stuff, I got a bag full of cow manure still from last year  I got from the farm down the road.
Well since it's not naturally hot, I think I'll take it cold thank you! Lol
Yeah I'm thinking about just buying a 20lb bag and seeing how far that'll go.
As far as NPK goes, are these good numbers and ratios? Thats an area I've yet to research

Hey, finally something useful from the Alpaca! I think the ratio looks nice - don't need much phosphorous.

In Oregon, about 1 outta every 5 country houses had Alpacas. It was almost a status symbol. Everyone thought they were valuable, but no one could make any money off them. Mostly, they were big, cute money pits. I had several clients with Alpaca herds. In bankruptcy, no trustee would even try to sell them. Selling their shite might be the best business plan yet ! Let us know how it goes.

Say what you want, but we've used llama/alpaca poo for the past 5 years in our community garden.

In the Fall, we get 3 truckloads of poo, add 20+ bags of leaves, and till all on to set for the winter.

In the Spring, we'll do the same thing. To us it's been invaluable to break up the clay.

We're just lucky to get it free.

catherinew said:
Say what you want, but we've used llama/alpaca poo for the past 5 years in our community garden.

In the Fall, we get 3 truckloads of poo, add 20+ bags of leaves, and till all on to set for the winter.

In the Spring, we'll do the same thing. To us it's been invaluable to break up the clay.

We're just lucky to get it free.
same here. Alpaca manure does wonders added to the soil.

Funny with all this alpaca talk, the same farm I got my cow poop from just posted an update on FB last night that they was looking into getting an alpaca

D3monic said:
Ha! I almost pissed myself with these.

D3monic said:
Funny with all this alpaca talk, the same farm I got my cow poop from just posted an update on FB last night that they was looking into getting an alpaca
Tell them to do it. Everything I've read says you don't even have to compost the alpaca beans, they're light enough to use right away. Not to mention they could sell some kick ass scarves and what nots

It's indeed relatively light and a good fibrous soil amendment. If you can't get your hands on alpaca manure, manure from certain breds of goats have similar poo (not the black pebbles, but fibrous like horse manure). Offcourse it depends on the diet of the animal.

Best thing about alpaca, goat and horse manure that they have less odour than pig, chicken and cow manure.

Soon Poo will take over the world!

Another benefit I was unaware of, alpacas only eat the leafy parts of grasses. So no unwanted weeds sprouting from seed consumption!

Back