• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

grilling Do you like grilled ribs?

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
I'm not talking about smoked ribs (barbecue), I'm talking about grilled, over a flame. Yeah, I love barbecued ribs but sometimes I like the grilled ribs even better. They get that nice glaze and char, and the meat doesnt fall off the bone. Fallin' off the bone means they are overcooked, even for BBQ. That bone should not be dry. Anyways....:hell: sometimes it's nice to gnaw the meat off the bone.

The wife and I love the grilled ribs better than any other way because of exactly what you say...you have to gnaw the meat off the bones...I like to use my pepper powder as a rub, let them sit for a while, then grill them on low ( ~215F )for about 2 1/2 hours or so...that is our favorite...I sometimes swab the ribs with sauce maybe 15 minutes before taking them off the grill but most of the time it is just the ribs with the rub when they are done...

Sickmont said:
So what do you call it then....Pseudo-Q?

Where I'm from, BBQ just means you use BBQ sauce. Don't matter if it's grilled, smoked, baked, braised, broiled... Grilled on gas, coal, wood, infrared, etc... Don't matter.

Then again, I'm a stupid yank. I wouldn't know a decent BBQ if it landed on my face and wiggled.

klyth said:
Where I'm from, BBQ just means you use BBQ sauce. Don't matter if it's grilled, smoked, baked, braised, broiled... Grilled on gas, coal, wood, infrared, etc... Don't matter.

Then again, I'm a stupid yank. I wouldn't know a decent BBQ if it landed on my face and wiggled.

Hey, i'm from NJ so i was in the same boat as you, at least until i moved to the south. What a wonderful learning curve it's been!

AlabamaJack said:
The wife and I love the grilled ribs better than any other way because of exactly what you say...you have to gnaw the meat off the bones...I like to use my pepper powder as a rub, let them sit for a while, then grill them on low ( ~215F )for about 2 1/2 hours or so...that is our favorite...I sometimes swab the ribs with sauce maybe 15 minutes before taking them off the grill but most of the time it is just the ribs with the rub when they are done...

That's what I'm talkin' about AJ! They must be great.

Sickmont said:
Hmmm....i was always under the impression that grilling them WAS a way of barbequing them.

Depends on who you talk to. Some people like to make the distinction between BBQing and grilling. It's mostly the die hard BBQers, they don't want to be lumped in with backyard BBQers, since the cooking style is different.

The way I see it, grilling you need very high heat and no closed lid were BBQing you close the lid and partly bake things. I always prefer smoked myself

Most of the time I grill my ribs, so that is my favourite method. Ribs on one side of the grill, wings on the other. There is no better combo.

I have experimented with smoking and grilling them indirect on a regular BBQ grill, So far I have had better luck with the grill. I use a Brinkman smoker and it just seems like a lot of work for a smoke taste that I can manage with chips on a Weber.

But I am up for new techniques as always, smoking is a chore and by the time its done, I'm so sick of breathing the smoke I dont wanna eat something that tastes like it. Smoke from a smoker with or without any chips is VERY different than a charcoal grill. JMO.

I dont dislike the smoke taste, I like it, but honestly, I just dont think I have mastered the smoker yet. I would enjoy deep frying a turkey more. :)

I've used a Weber kettle to cook some amazing ribs. I've used direct heat and indirect heat both. For indirect you can put a cake pan in the center, and build up coals or wood around it. Fill the cake pan with water.

thehotpepper.com said:
I've used a Weber kettle to cook some amazing ribs. I've used direct heat and inderect heat both. For indirect you can put a cake pan in the center, and build up coals or wood around it. Fill the cake pan with water.

Yeah thats what I did, I have a Weber kettle. I baste them with real butter and diced garlic cloves. Turns out pretty good.

so what you are saying is that you like ribs that are thrown on the grill and done in 20 minutes????
may I suggest you rethink your idea of ribs..
there are many good jerkey's on the market so why make another??
ribs to me are smoked for hours or boiled then broiled with a good sauce any other way is amature.

shayneyasinski said:
so what you are saying is that you like ribs that are thrown on the grill and done in 20 minutes????
may I suggest you rethink your idea of ribs..
there are many good jerkey's on the market so why make another??
ribs to me are smoked for hours or boiled then broiled with a good sauce any other way is amature.
If you are talking to me, no I did not say that, you can read my post again. Grilling ribs can be done right, as you can see by some of the replies. Yes, a 20 minute rib would be horrible. Low and slow.

I've grilled them in the past and it would normally take me about 2-2 1/2 hrs -- when I did them that way Id warm up the grill then put them on then at the end I would burn the sauce and little bits off the grate -- I was fine with that until my wife started complaining that I was filling the gas bottle to often and whenever I told I wanted to do a pork butt on the grill and told her the cooking time .... lets just say that was my introduction to using charcoal and my first Weber kettle then it just blossomed from there -- I love it -- Something about smoking something for 10-16 hrs and having the neighborhood "stopping by" because of the aroma to me thats a Q - Either way grilled or smoked it is great shared

Beer, Friends and BBQ

Back