• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

tv Any fans of the series Breaking Bad ?

Husker21 said:
BB and The Wire are the two best series ever made.... EVER!

Yeeeeeep.

Not that into much TV, but both those shows are gold.

Not sure what to think about the Saul show. Seems disingenuous to the original series to make what looks like a cheap spin-off. And why Saul, what about the cartel? Meh, it'll all come out in the wash tonight.

Loved every minute of breaking bad. Ha ent gotten into the wire yet, but I will soon enough. Huge fan of sons of anarchy, and recently got into peaky blinders. Great show on netflix

Breaking Bad was good, have always liked Bryan Cranston. Curious to check out Better Call Saul after Walking Dead tonight and see if it's any good

Watched it while planting this years seeds last year (wow that sounded funny).  Tonight watching the spin off.  Something like Better ask Saul.

Husker21 said:
BB and The Wire are the two best series ever made.... EVER!

Rome, then sopranos, the Wire, Top Gear UK  then I Claudius or Deadwood IDK... then  some other stuff, then breaking bad....
then the comedy shows like venture brothers and harvey birdman, arrested development etc.
game of thrones does not get rated in my mind... untill it concludes. 

drama shows are super imprinted in my mind as being the most profound and significant... i dont think its hard to figure out why.
top gear is the only exception to this, though a bad example i suppose, being pseudo informational rather than any sort of pure comedy.

the pseudo historical dramas rank particularly high in my mind, what with being a history guy, though id contend that the allure runs deeper than that facile and obvious explanation.

Id be curious as to why you folks think that comedy rarely ranks as being either significant or profound...

i really feel like the sopranos was probably the most culturally significant TV show in the last 2 decades easily.
i really didn't like the the bullshit psychiatry, but i can see why they went that rout, what with it being easy to move the plot and develop the tony soprano character.
however, it kinda just foists the whole characters mindset and motivations onto the viewer, without holding much back you know? 

Breaking bad was a cool show, but so full of holes i couldn't really get super deep into it.  the show lost any deep affection and appreciation i might of had when they began to involve hydrofluoric acid, and methylamine...treating  the former as a scarce commodity was stupid bullshit, and completely unbelievable... 
methylamine is entirely easy to synthesize in large quantities with non regulated materials available in large quantities.

it was also stupid bullshit for walter to come up with some magic PURELY stereo selective synthesis of methamphetamine from P2P. Such a synthesis  scheme does not exist, even in literature, let alone one that is practicable and efficient and viable commercially....

instead of creating some stupid wizard character, inventing a magic hereunto undiscovered means to produce meth, they should have focused on his technical abilities and leverage of chemistry knowledge.

instead of magic alchemy, walter should have been the learned, fastidious and brilliant engineer and chemist... leveraging techniques beyond the reach of traditional clandestine chemist such as fabrication of equipment, namely aimed at efficient resolution of pure dextro meth, but also in automation of the process... quality control,  and perhaps in laudable areas such as solvent and catalyst recycling as well as responsible waste disposal. 

the whole story arch would have been largely the same what with walter being brought low in the end.... but without the fantasy bullshit.

Liked Breaking Bad because it was damn funny.  For anything deep, it was the same message in Sons of Anarchy.  Power / Money turns people into monsters cause enough is never enough.  ye ye, got it and yet, go figure I still want that pile they had in the storage building.

Whats for break break breakfast...

Loved BB,,now I am hooked on Dexter,,watched the first 7 seasons in the past few weeks,,gotta go slow on season 8 ..gonna be bummed when I finish

Kevin

Breaking Bad was dope. 

Very good show.   Incase you havent seen it watch the shield that was the first show I really got hooked on. Also loved Deadwood.  
Im watching American Horror Story lately/

Shameless is good. Orange is the New Black, also. Peaky Blinders, too. Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 was fun ...

Rome, then sopranos, the Wire, Top Gear UK  then I Claudius or Deadwood IDK... then  some other stuff, then breaking bad....
then the comedy shows like venture brothers and harvey birdman, arrested development etc.
game of thrones does not get rated in my mind... untill it concludes. 

drama shows are super imprinted in my mind as being the most profound and significant... i dont think its hard to figure out why.
top gear is the only exception to this, though a bad example i suppose, being pseudo informational rather than any sort of pure comedy.

the pseudo historical dramas rank particularly high in my mind, what with being a history guy, though id contend that the allure runs deeper than that facile and obvious explanation.

Id be curious as to why you folks think that comedy rarely ranks as being either significant or profound...

i really feel like the sopranos was probably the most culturally significant TV show in the last 2 decades easily.
i really didn't like the the bullshit psychiatry, but i can see why they went that rout, what with it being easy to move the plot and develop the tony soprano character.
however, it kinda just foists the whole characters mindset and motivations onto the viewer, without holding much back you know? 

Breaking bad was a cool show, but so full of holes i couldn't really get super deep into it.  the show lost any deep affection and appreciation i might of had when they began to involve hydrofluoric acid, and methylamine...treating  the former as a scarce commodity was stupid bullshit, and completely unbelievable... 
methylamine is entirely easy to synthesize in large quantities with non regulated materials available in large quantities.

it was also stupid bullshit for walter to come up with some magic PURELY stereo selective synthesis of methamphetamine from P2P. Such a synthesis  scheme does not exist, even in literature, let alone one that is practicable and efficient and viable commercially....

instead of creating some stupid wizard character, inventing a magic hereunto undiscovered means to produce meth, they should have focused on his technical abilities and leverage of chemistry knowledge.

instead of magic alchemy, walter should have been the learned, fastidious and brilliant engineer and chemist... leveraging techniques beyond the reach of traditional clandestine chemist such as fabrication of equipment, namely aimed at efficient resolution of pure dextro meth, but also in automation of the process... quality control,  and perhaps in laudable areas such as solvent and catalyst recycling as well as responsible waste disposal. 

the whole story arch would have been largely the same what with walter being brought low in the end.... but without the fantasy bullshit.

i stopped watching along the way when the science component they flashed early was gone. D watched, but I iPad'd after S01 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlgeQUHSetk

a pseudo historical drama i mentioned above.  i forgot that it was on youtube...

anyway, anyone with half a heart for dramas should give this a chance. it was a very well regarded show in its time, breaking some record in the UK if i recall correctly.

Better ask Saul - That is every lawyer I have ever had.  Even the successful ones, they are just good at being dirt bags.  Loved it.

PWFXJqf.gif

Back