• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Rice thread: good stuff!

If i am not wrong a general rice thread is missing.
I can't say that i eat rice often (even less cooked, really rarely) nor that i know it well, but i like it.
For sure hot pepper doesn't hure here too.

I had a pack of black rice so for dinner i made the following:

• 200g black rice cempo hitam
  • a dried piri piri
  • cream , about 100g
  • gorgonzola, about 100g 
  • also some Crucolo (i needed it to thicken sauce... It's like Asiago but better)
  • speck, about 150g (i had some leftover for tomorrow pasta)
  • saffron
  • turmeric
  • paprika

First i soaked 2 hours rice as indicated.
Then cooked it for 40 mins in 500g water. I used just a bit of salt. I added also a crushed dried piri piri.

In the meantime i prepared the sauce. I mixed gorgonzola and cream, slowly warm up and melt it. Later i added some Crucolo to round and thicken the sauce.
Then add saffron, turmeric and paprika.
ibwqkUv2MtHejE.jpg

Some mold gorgonzola pieces remains... But it's not a bad thing!

Near the end i prepared speck, previously cut in strips:
iIp2MHR2N8J1t.jpg

In a pan with some evo i cooked it a bit, just to change the color. Then i added other evo after cooking.

That's the final dish:
i6tAMnQUMzMjj.jpg

I really liked it. Rice was poor on salt and that was perfect to pair with speck. Speck is the natural companion for gorgonzola and was really good with rice. Heat was low but barely noticeable around half of dish. When i ended the dish i was more hungry.

Btw post your rice stuff!

I really like risotto, one of my favorite things. making some tonight with seared scallops.  I make a mean fried rice, which reminds me I need to make some soon.

Looks great essegi ^^

Thanks all! FB, i wait your photos! :D

miguelovic said:
Had to Google speck re: prosciutto? I love me some black rice.
Speck is a smoked prosciutto, typical of South Tyrol. I really always liked that.
Maybe i like better standard prosciutto if eaten alone (if prosciutto is a really good one)... But speck has its own flavour and it's less frail: i think prosciutto just sucks if cut on lunch and eaten on dinner if not sealed really well, not for speck. Cooking prosciutto (at least if sliced thin) is a crime, searing speck has its uses. And it's stronger in taste. Sometimes it remembers smoked bacon but it's better if uncooked than bacon (of course bacon is better for other uses).
And really, gorgonzola and speck is one of the top combos (also walnuts are awesome with that).

Nuts and cheese are some of my favourite things to chew on together. Not sure I've seen speck before. There isn't much prosciutto over here that I want to eat. North America is terrible for charcuterie on the whole, there is some good stuff but it's buried under tonnes of nitrate ridden slices of grease XD

cypresshill1973 said:
Good thread!!! I like the rice, especially with seafood.

Yesterday i bought 3 kilos of squid tentacles for eat with rice... Maybe tomorrow eats this.

Sound excellent!   :woohoo:

One of my favorite dishes is arroz con mariscos... do you have a variation of this dish in Argentina???

Tinnie. Here all this dishes are a spanish heirloom, however everyone cooking their own taste.
I like use the azafran español. The seafood, first fried with a lot garlic, onion and confit tomato, add spices and a lot of spanish paprika. After mix the rice and cook a few minutes.

Some of the main ingredients for a mixed Spanish Paella...
Sweet Red Pepper, Rocoto Pepper, Onion, Garlic, Aji Dolce Pepper, Lemon, Tomato, Spanish Chorizo, Parsley, Saffron, Smoked Paprika, Piquillo Peppers, Seafood Stock, Spanish White Wine, Bomba Rice, Olive Oil, Chicken Stock.

more ingredients: Monk Fish, Scallops, Squid, Baby Octopus, Langostino, Shrimp, Mussels, Clams, Boneless Chicken Thighs.

The meal starts out with cutting up the Chorizo into coins and sauteing in a small amount of Olive Oil . Once the sausage releases some oil and begins to brown remove it from the paella pan and set aside.

Cut up the boneless Chicken Thighs into chunks, salt and saute in pan until browned.....remove from pan and set aside.

One of the most important steps in making a rich paella is creating a sofrito. Finely dice 1 large Onion, Sweet Red Pepper, a dozen Aji Dolce Peppers, couple of Orange Rocoto's, bulb of Garlic, scatter of Salt.  Sweat down diced vegetables for 30 minutes.......add 2 tbl of Smoked Paprika, continue to saute for ten minutes. Add 2 cups of White Wine and 2 cups of chopped fresh Tomatoes. Continue to simmer on low for twenty minutes....at that point add the Chorizo and Chicken back to the pan.
meanwhile...

I prefer to smoke the Octopus over cherry wood prior to adding it to the mix.........20 minutes does the trick.

Cut the Octopus into pieces and add to the pan along with the Paella Rice. Stir the rice to coat and spread evenly throughout the pan. Add a qt of both stocks, Seafood and Chicken. Let Rice absorb have of the liquid (about 15 minutes over low flame).

Add remaining ingredients...Monk Fish cut into small chunks, cleaned and sliced Squid, Scallops, Mussels, Clams, Shrimp, fire roasted Piquillo Pepper strips and top with Langostino pieces. Cover with foil and finish the cooking in a 325 F oven for 30 minutes.

Mixed Spanish Paella with spiked up Sangria...

My portion...........with leftovers for the next day !

Back