Teaser Alert!

10426097_913349668710114_6380077080229045420_n.jpg

This is what some might refer to as a "teaser". 
;)

As most of y'all know, it's taken the better part of 3 years to develop my line of sauces, and that's after almost 8 years as a hobby sauce maker.

I launched the Lucky Dog brand with just 3 sauces. Based on customer feedback and inspiration I then developed Black Label at the end of my 1st year. Pink & Purple Label followed a year later, and of course Dia del Perro was inspired by the sublime artwork of Robin Case 7 months later.

I've never rushed a sauce to market simply because of a trend or perceived demand - the journey is as important to me as the destination, and I'll often spend months prototyping a sauce before deciding if it's worthy of bearing the Lucky Dog Hot Sauce branding.

As a sauce-maker, recipe development is the most fun, but also the most challenging part of the job. Figuring out spice combinations, what fruits or vegetables will compliment certain foods and how they will compete for your taste buds - I generally approach a sauce with food pairings in mind, and I never lose sight that I am creating a condiment intended to compliment food. This is the mad scientist part of my brain that cannot experiment enough. Whee! 
:D

This was exactly the case with Brown Label. While customers have asked me about a chipotle sauce for years, I honestly never thought that I would make one. Not because I don't like chipotle sauces, but with such a dominant flavor profile they most often tend to lack the characteristic depth and layering that I try to build into each of my varieties, and versatility is frequently lacking as well.

So I took it on as a personal challenge: How can I make a chipotle-style Lucky Dog Hot Sauce? How can something so bold also be versatile and layered? How can I incorporate subtlety, and how can I make it unique?

I truly believe I've achieved my goal with Brown Label - I'm beyond pleased with the prototype and I will be scaling it out to a production batch at the end of February.
If all goes well, Brown Label is expected to make its debut at the Albuquerque Fiery Food & BBQ show, March 6th-8th, 2015, and will also be available for sale online on March 7th, 2015.
This has been your Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Brown Label teaser for today.

carousel-item-3.jpg

Love & hot sauce
:woohoo:

Scott 

On a serious note, it sounds damn tasty... chipotle mustard sauce sounds win to me. Only thing I don't find appetizing is calling it "Brown Label."

Good luck with it!

The Hot Pepper said:
On a serious note, it sounds damn tasty... chipotle mustard sauce sounds win to me. Only thing I don't find appetizing is calling it "Brown Label."

Good luck with it!
It is what it is. Brown is a color. The sauce is brown. Brown is brown. Color is color. Sauce is sauce.

What the hell were we talking about again?

hogleg said:
I give two efs what color you wanna call it, I'm still gonna eat it dammit!
Heard that.

This sounds awesome. Chipotle by itself has never been my favorite. But paired with another attention whore like mustard? Oh hell yeah son. This may have to get slathered on a brisket.

Side note, ive still yet to try any LD sauces. I bring great shame upon my family.

twilliams386 said:
Heard that.

This sounds awesome. Chipotle by itself has never been my favorite. But paired with another attention whore like mustard? Oh hell yeah son. This may have to get slathered on a brisket.

Side note, ive still yet to try any LD sauces. I bring great shame upon my family.

Order up a 3 pack. I suggest black, pink and perro

D3monic said:
Order up a 3 pack. I suggest black, pink and perro
That 4 pack with all those plus orange is calling to me. I feel like my wife would kill me in our situation at the moment, but as long as she waits until i try them..

Awesome news! Can't wait for this-- being a crazed mustard lover I am (the German in me has something to do with it I'm sure..)

While you can't compare actual prepared mustard and pepper sauces, I'll not be able to help myself at least initially comparing this to one of my absolutely favorite mustard's - 'Burn in Hell' mustard from Lusty Monk Mustard. The Burn in Hell is the Chipotle spiced version. Their original and honey mustard's are favorites as well. Two time Scovie winners to boot! (have no affiliation w/ them..just super good real mustard from some locals and constants in my fridge and gullet!! -- http://www.lustymonk.com/burn-in-hell/)

Will your 'Brown' be able to contend?!?! - a Chipotle & Brassica beatdown!

*No one however can take the cake on mustard from a dear sweet Chinese lady at a local spot who makes the hottest (understatement...talking 'electrical' fire rush up the back of the neck, down the face, eyes bulging out, vertigo inducing, fire breath type of potent honey style) that I have gotten some samples of when I ask(ed) for what she eats- not what the 'Americans' eat..lol..she asked me..'You sure?!' when she handed it to me. I wasn't ready.*   :twisted: 

Judging on the high-rate-top-class sauces of yours, this is definitely waited for with baited breath!

Alchymystic said:
While you can't compare actual prepared mustard and pepper sauces, I'll not be able to help myself at least initially comparing this to one of my absolutely favorite mustard's - 'Burn in Hell' mustard from Lusty Monk Mustard. The Burn in Hell is the Chipotle spiced version. Their original and honey mustard's are favorites as well. Two time Scovie winners to boot! (have no affiliation w/ them..just super good real mustard from some locals and constants in my fridge and gullet!! --

Will your 'Brown' be able to contend?!?! - a Chipotle & Brassica beatdown!
I've had Lusty Monk mustard, but not their hot chipotle. Sounds good!

As for contending, it's apples and oranges. They make a hot chipotle-mustard. I'm making a mustard-chipotle hot sauce.

This is a hot sauce - it has mustard to create layers of bold flavors that compete and compliment simultaneously.

That said (spoiler alert!) I'm using a more rare and subtle chipotle, the "Meco" - to my tastes most chipotle sauces have a bit too much sweetness from the red jalapeño chipotle. The Meco is smoked longer and lacks the overly sweet flavor or the morita - and the flavor is off the charts delicious. The way that it plays with the roasted garlic is....oops, did I say roasted garlic? Uh, er, geez would you look at the time? Gotta go!

...THP members now have more info than anyone and there's still quite a bit left as a mystery.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
That said (spoiler alert!) I'm using a more rare and subtle chipotle, the "Meco" - to my tastes most chipotle sauces have a bit too much sweetness from the red jalapeño chipotle. The Meco is a smoked green jalapeño - and the flavor is off the charts delicious.

Actually meco and morita are both smoked as red... the difference is the meco is smoke-dried longer, to a drier state, where the morita is more leathery. Meco has richer smoky flavors, so looking forward to this!

If you have smoked green ones called mecos, I learned something new. That happens a lot!

Do you plan a larger bottle for BBQ as well as the 5 oz?

Don't worry the name will warm up to me. Just try to have it by Memorial Day, sounds like a good launch time for the grilling crowd. Wings, dogs, chicken, burgers. Good luck!

Back