• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seedlings.. are these normal for age? Jalapeno, Cayenne & Prairie Fire

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and chilli/hot pepper growing. I sowed these seeds in my propagator in very early January(I guess to early), and there is a mix of "Early Jalapeno", "Pencil Cayenne" and "Prairie Fire". Also I am in the UK.

The Jalapeno and the Cayenne soon shot up with 2 good leaves towards the end on Jan. So I decided - I didn't want to force them in prop so I re-planted into individual seedling pots. there was no sign of the Prairie Fire until about a week later. I didn't have any pots left so I kept them in the prop, which seems to have helped them massively.

So my question is are the Jalapeno's and Cayenne's seedling ok for there age or should there be a lot more growth, they seem a lot more leggy compared to the Prairie Fire seedlings which have lots of leaves.

I just thought they should of had a lot more leaves like the "Prairie Fire" has for how long they have been germinated? also some of the leaves of the Jalapeno and Cayenne seem to have some black tips on the leaves, does anyone know what has caused this?

Jalapeno and Cayenne below

14kiiyw.jpg

Prairie Fire below

b6rp0z.jpg

Thanks in advance

FireMe AKA "Paul"

Sunblaster has single bulb T-5 lights in 18-48 length. They also have a stand to hold them. I use a single bulb on to of my 7 inch dome germination station, along with a heat mat.

The soil also looks on the dense side. Did you add any perlite?

I use Fox Farms Ocean Forest mixed with Fox Farm Happy Frog. And add a nice hand full of big chunk perlite.

Hi all thanks for the replies, I was afraid that it was a light issue and I don't think I am going to be able to add extra light supplements as I don't have any grow lamps or any other lamps I can put by them. Will this majorly affect the plants or will I get away with it and hope for the sunny longer days soon.

Thanks

Well, its kinda like this. Your not going to scrap the idea of growing them no matter what answer you get , correct? So, you make do the best you can with what you got and call it a learning experience.
But, given the time of year and your geographic location you will need to provide better supplemental light if you want to grow better than (get by) plants in the future. I dont know how many plants you started, but be warned, your window come 3 months from now is going to be pretty crowded if the light you have turns out to be enough to promote healthy growth.

Your soil does look a little damp in the green tray. I would transplant them to the individual pots ASAP. media looks much better in them.

Chlorophyll_ab_spectra2.PNG

Just a quick picture of what you're working with. Chlorophyll is what plants use to convert light into plant-food. So just normal, visible light will work fine. LEDs and alike are often tuned to match the absorbance peaks, for maximum electricity-to-plant-growth ratio (about 440 and 660 nm light, aka blue and red light)

Edit:
so to answer your question directly, any normal light bulb will help your plant grow, no need for UV or alike - but there is a lot of room for optimizing the exact lightsource, to spend your electricity more efficiently

Here by comparison to the graph above is what your normal lights produce.  Notice they both still peak right around those magic spectrums that is needed for photosynthesis.

fig_01.gif

Also notice in the chart above that UV light does not fall under any of those magic spectrums.  UV is for weed btw, normal plants have little use for it.  It just so happens that most grow lights are designed around pot growers.  IR on the other hand has been shown to drastically effect growth due to a concept known as the Emerson effect.  Google for more info on that, it will explain it better than I can.

Hi, all thanks for all your replies looks like im really going to have to study these. I thinking of getting a proper growtent for next season. also I see Chlorophyll B and Chlorophyll A on one of the graphs whats the difference between the two of them? also I seen online that there is a certain colour bulb for flowering and also vegitation growth? is that to do with the Chlorophyll? so you can also use LED's that would save on power cost.

I am an aquarium nut.  First of all, green has no place in an aquarium.  We use primarily whites and blues.  So I do not know whom that bulb is really marketed for.  LEDs are great in my opinion though.  You just have to know what you are buying.  The little 1/4 watt LEDs are basically useless.  This is what you see in the $20 ebay panels.  200 LEDs packed in a tight little 10cm square.  You really need at least 3w LEDs to put down the proper power.  T5 bulbs are great as well, but bulb choice is important.

As for the colors for flowering/veg.  More weed talk for the most part.  Peppers continually flower and veg simultaneously.  Therefor "ideally" you want both spectrums at the same time.  Most, especially most on a budget, just go for one or the other though.  A&B are both desired though at least to some extent.  Whites cover the whole spectrum at least to some degree.  Its only when you get into LEDs that you really concentrate each diode on a specific wavelength.  I personally use the big 4, 660nm, 630nm, 450nm, 430nm, and a small touch of warm white and IR.

Well I went ahead and ordered this? http://www.garlandproducts.com/grow-light-garden.htmlIts from the same makers of the heated propagator which I got for growing the above seedling which worked nicely http://www.garlandproducts.com/trio-top-electric-windowsill-propagator.htmleven thow the whole propagtor is to long to fit in.  The individaul tubs would, but next season as soon as they are showing I would just switch them to this growlight setup.. Thanks everyone, what do you guys think? will this work well?

Personally I'd go for buying the individual parts and flickering something together yourself - cheaper and more custumizable setup.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Full-spectrum-led-grow-light-Smallest-Real-5W-NO-fake-10W-15W-E27-led-grow-lamp/1808579642.html

I've been using something similar to this, just to supplement the natural light. I get similar daylight hours to UK, and last year I did fine without artificial lights. With that being said, I do see significant increase in growth when supplementing with artificial light.

Anyway, cheap as hell LED grow light, fits in normal light bulb socket, allows for all sorts of aplications.

Correct me if I am wrong, and I very well could be. But, here is what I see. I see someone who wants to, or thinks he  wants to grow peppers indoors (at least to give them a head start on the season). And he is trying to do it in the most economical way (by not spending any money or very little of it) I do not condemn this practice I do the same thing, A lot. And then, sometimes I spend more than I should. However. your not going to be a happy camper going about it the way you are with all the starts I seen in your pic. And 1-2 years from now and if you are still here are going to be asking yourself "what am I going to do with all this crap". Because you will have learned there is no painless shortcut to pepper success. It is going to take some commitment to the proper equipment. I think you would find yourself much happier from now forth and less disappointed and disillusioned later if you went out and got a 2-4 tube 48" t5-t8 grow strip. See examples below.

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-GrowBright-4-Foot-2-Lamp-High-Output-T5-With-Choice-of-Bulbs

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-GrowBright-4-Foot-4-Lamp-High-Output-T5-With-Choice-of-Bulbs

Now, it was not my intention to sound harsh, though it could have easily been construed as such. I am mearly giving my opinion of my observation and my advice based on them. Time will tell if I am spot on.

BTW, MY local grow shop always is getting used light systems in and they turn them around cheap, You might consider looking into that option.

Supplement to previous post.

I was a year ago where you are now. I wanted to grow indoors and spent hours and days and weeks on here looking and talking to everyone about what they did and what they would recommend regarding lighting. Everyone has their own opinions. some sound good, some dont.
I did not want to run into a situation that I would spend a chunk of change this year and have to upgrade next year and spend even more. I got the blessing from my other half and bought the best light I thought I could get right then.  I didn't have to upgrade this year and wont have to next year either. It will light my entire 120sq ft grow room and I am totally happy with my decision. I will have close to 300 pepper starts by next week.

CAPCOM said:
Correct me if I am wrong, and I very well could be. But, here is what I see. I see someone who wants to, or thinks he  wants to grow peppers indoors (at least to give them a head start on the season). And he is trying to do it in the most economical way (by not spending any money or very little of it) I do not condemn this practice I do the same thing, A lot. And then, sometimes I spend more than I should. However. your not going to be a happy camper going about it the way you are with all the starts I seen in your pic. And 1-2 years from now and if you are still here are going to be asking yourself "what am I going to do with all this crap". Because you will have learned there is no painless shortcut to pepper success. It is going to take some commitment to the proper equipment. I think you would find yourself much happier from now forth and less disappointed and disillusioned later if you went out and got a 2-4 tube 48" t5-t8 grow strip. See examples below.

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-GrowBright-4-Foot-2-Lamp-High-Output-T5-With-Choice-of-Bulbs

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-GrowBright-4-Foot-4-Lamp-High-Output-T5-With-Choice-of-Bulbs

Now, it was not my intention to sound harsh, though it could have easily been construed as such. I am mearly giving my opinion of my observation and my advice based on them. Time will tell if I am spot on.

BTW, MY local grow shop always is getting used light systems in and they turn them around cheap, You might consider looking into that option.
Supplement to previous post.

I was a year ago where you are now. I wanted to grow indoors and spent hours and days and weeks on here looking and talking to everyone about what they did and what they would recommend regarding lighting. Everyone has their own opinions. some sound good, some dont.
I did not want to run into a situation that I would spend a chunk of change this year and have to upgrade next year and spend even more. I got the blessing from my other half and bought the best light I thought I could get right then.  I didn't have to upgrade this year and wont have to next year either. It will light my entire 120sq ft grow room and I am totally happy with my decision. I will have close to 300 pepper starts by next week.
Wtf are you using that can illuminate a 120f^2 space with a single fixture? Or was that a misprint? That's a small bedroom sized area.

I totally concur btw. It really sucks to spend money twice because you didn't get the proper thing the first time. I am personally using eBay par 38 54w led bulbs over my seedlings. Why? Because can edit adapt them to any situation. I have 6 of them. Right now I only need 2 for seedlings. I can use all 6 to light a small grow tent. I can use them later to supplement if I go larger. And then next year I can break it back down into a seed starter setup...

Scuba_Steve said:
Wtf are you using that can illuminate a 120f^2 space with a single fixture? Or was that a misprint? That's a small bedroom sized area.

I totally concur btw. It really sucks to spend money twice because you didn't get the proper thing the first time. I am personally using eBay par 38 54w led bulbs over my seedlings. Why? Because can edit adapt them to any situation. I have 6 of them. Right now I only need 2 for seedlings. I can use all 6 to light a small grow tent. I can use them later to supplement if I go larger. And then next year I can break it back down into a seed starter setup...
HTG 1000w dimmable ballast w/ a Sun Soaker hood.

20131011_203107.jpg

20131010_183314.jpg

Back