• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting GREEN ferment

Had quite a few green Serrano peppers leftover from last year's harvest, and quite a few green Hungarian hots, plus a few random thin green hot peppers a friend gave me. Decided to do a 'verde' type ferment. Also have been wanting to try apples and honeydew as filler material. Left out carrot or sweet potato in this one.

~ 40 green Serrano
~ 10 green Hungarian hot
~ 4 green thin hot (not sure what variety)
2 small tomatillos
1/2 of a honeydew melon
1 apple
1 sweet onion
1 head garlic

5% salt brine (used some fancy normandy sea salt for grits and giggles), filled up to shoulder of 1/2 gallon mason jar.

Will let it go the customary month or so and see what happens! Only thing I wish I'd done differently is put the apple toward the bottom, a few of the pieces are starting to brown on top, but hopefully the CO2 blanket will be in effect soon and prevent too much oxidation.

hoibot said:
Had quite a few green Serrano peppers leftover from last year's harvest, and quite a few green Hungarian hots, plus a few random thin green hot peppers a friend gave me. Decided to do a 'verde' type ferment. Also have been wanting to try apples and honeydew as filler material. Left out carrot or sweet potato in this one.

~ 40 green Serrano
~ 10 green Hungarian hot
~ 4 green thin hot (not sure what variety)
2 small tomatillos
1/2 of a honeydew melon
1 apple
1 sweet onion
1 head garlic

5% salt brine (used some fancy normandy sea salt for grits and giggles), filled up to shoulder of 1/2 gallon mason jar.

Will let it go the customary month or so and see what happens! Only thing I wish I'd done differently is put the apple toward the bottom, a few of the pieces are starting to brown on top, but hopefully the CO2 blanket will be in effect soon and prevent too much oxidation.

How did it turn out?  

sorry for the major delay here... life and such!

here's a pic of the finished sauce, turned out awesome. good heat, not too crazy.

classic fermented flavor and a nice, fresh taste from the apple and honeydew. tomatillos aren't terribly noticeable, but you can taste them. 

all in all, a very nice verde hot sauce. will probably make this a 'go to' green hot sauce going forward.

Alynne said:
Looks great! Details? How long did you ferment? Did you cook it? Add other floors, citrus or vinaiger?

fermented for 30 days, which is what i've settled on as pretty ideal for my ferments. 

my processing is pretty standard: boil (covered) for 20 minutes, puree, boil (covered) for 15 minutes, puree again if necessary (usually not necessary after the first one), bring to 190 and hold for 10 minutes, bottle, cap, invert. 

Back