• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

missed one

[SIZE=medium]When making my mash pre ferment, I had to blend it in batches because my blender isn’t big enough. Some how, one pepper did not get blended up, so there is an entire pepper floating around in my mash. Do you think my mash will still be safe post fermentation?[/SIZE]

Fireeater86 said:
[SIZE=medium]When making my mash pre ferment, I had to blend it in batches because my blender isn’t big enough. Some how, one pepper did not get blended up, so there is an entire pepper floating around in my mash. Do you think my mash will still be safe post fermentation?[/SIZE]

I'm fairly sure you should be fine, blender likely nicked and/or opened the pepper up enough to allow happy commingling.  

[SIZE=medium]It was a frozen pepper that had the top cut off. I am not sure it got blended at all though. I had all my peppers in a pot. I put some in a blender with salt, then returned it to the pot. I continued this process until I thought all the peppers where blended but I guess I missed one. It is making me nervous, but I would hate to toss the entire 5 gallons. Not sure what I should do?[/SIZE]

+ to smokenfire, the chile likely got nicked so it should settle into the ground up stuff and ferment normally.  From your post, it looks like this happened Today.  So the ferment is just getting going.  So you could open it up, fish out the clunker, re-seal the jar and let it get "cooking"/aka-fermenting.  Or... Open the jar, hit it hard with a boat-motor type immersion blender, or even a hand blender with one beater on it that would chop up the pepper. 

Again, it still looks like it's early on for the ferment so breaking the seal and chopping things up....the ferment is just getting active and can recuperate.

Good Luck!  SL

OH- well that changes things...

my .01cents is to Let 'Er Roll!.

If it's all good to date, let it keep going.  With belief that the big pod got  nicked enough to be fermenting with the rest of the goods. 

Here's my thoughts on the matter...

The pepper either got nicked and will ferment properly or it did not get nicked in which case you should be fine either way.  The inside of the pepper is airtight and free of pathogens(most importantly botulism spores) so any "rot" or ,in our case, fermentation would happen on the outside and work its way in.  The same conditions apply to something like steak.  Perfectly safe to eat a steak that's raw if you sear the outside as the pathogens are on the surface and not within the meat itself.

If this was my ferment I would not remove the pepper in question or feel the need to boil it if the rest of the mash is fermenting properly.

FE you said it was a frozen pepper that had the top cut off, so I am now entirely confident that it will be fine.  The ferment's been going a month - and you've been swirling - so the inside of that whole-ish pepper is likely packed with mash now.  It's cool.  A year ago I'd be sweating it out with you but not so much now.  I agree with SL that you should let it roll.  

even if it was whole, the bacteria will still break down the sugars in the flesh of the fruit once the pH gets low enough and provides an 'entry point,' so no sweat on this.

Back