• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Need a recipe and advice for MEGA Hot Sauce

Ok, have a butt load of dried peppers (caribbean red hot, serrano, yellow Habanero, Ring-O-Fire Cayenne Chile, serrano, etc). I am looking for a recipe that I can combine all these and make a MEGA hot sauce, something that would give you chemical burns for eating, and then also a regular hot sauce recipe.

I was also wondering if it's ok to use dried peppers for hot sauce or do they have to be hydrated for sauce to work? I've still got peppers that are producing, so getting fresh ones wouldn't be that big a problem.

Dried is fine, as for the chemical burns...Hmmmm, if you dissolve a couple mothballs in it (Paradichlorobenzene), you may not get burns, but a lot of people with really strange breath, not to mention stomach cramps. :lol:

Anyway, just put the stuff into a food processor, and let the laws of centrifugal force do its thing. For a bit of a bite, toss in some good white wine vinegar, and a tad of FRESH horseradish. Not only does the vinegar amalgamate the pepper flavors together, it gives it that kick for aroma, with the horseradish to back it up. Sounds like you just want a straight pepper mud.

You'll be hard pressed to find a recipe that combines all those peppers, but I would think you could just toss em all together and come up with something tasty.

Plenty of manufacturers make sauces with dried peppers - keeps production going all year long.

We use only dried when making our extracts. It allows you to circumvent having to deal with getting rid of all the unnecessary fluids. I find the dried peppers to be much more concentrated as well, for the same reason.

My first thought is to use boiling water to reconstitute the peppers before trying to blend them all together. In your case, guitargod, I'd take advantage of some of those fresh ones and mix them in too.

Fwiw, our Fusion Fire is a blend of 8 different peppers, but we mostly use fresh peppers.

I know that Ring of Fire is using a blend of peppers for their sauce too. I don't know whether they're fermented, dried or fresh though.

Either way, the pepper blends that our Peppermaster has put together always have the same effect, they fill the mouth with flavour...

The peppers individually hit different spots on your tongue, and in your mouth. The trick to making the sauce good is finding the holes (in the taste) left by the peppers and filling those in with other peppers or flavours.

T

DEFCON Creator said:
It allows you to circumvent having to deal with getting rid of all the unnecessary fluids.
There's unnecessary fluids in a pepper? Would these fluids be the spicey liquid that squirt into my mouth when I bite into a serrano? Expound, explicate, and explain.

Mission Accomplished! I took some red wine vinager, a half of lemon(juiced), some freshly chopped Forest Green Parsley(from the garden :lol: ), and rehydrated pepers(boiled for 3 minutes), and let the blender do the rest of the work.

Tried it on my taco, then tried it on some bread that had butter on it. It was semi sweet and the heat creeps up on you. It's nice.

All the heat from the seeds will rpobably leak out into the rest of the sauce in a few days and make it totally unbearably hot, but this was a fun little experiment.

The explanation of the "unnecessary fluids" is quite simple. The hot in the pepper is crystal, who needs the fluid? Instead of rehydrating them next time, just chop them up very fine in a Cuisinart (or other sinister machine) and add them straight up. All you've really done by rehydrating them is let some of the lovely crystal out into the surrounding broth. By chopping them very fine, you don't have to wait for as much leetching either, it pretty much comes out immediately.

DEFCON Creator said:
All you've really done by rehydrating them is let some of the lovely crystal out into the surrounding broth.
:lol:

DEFCON Creator said:
Instead of rehydrating them next time, just chop them up very in a Cuisinart (or other sinister machine) and add them straight up.
What if I take my "Zesty Blend"(which is powdered peppers via a coffee grinder) and use that?

Back