• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Monsanto makes highly hybridized seeds available to home gardeners

Monsanto makes highly hybridized seeds available to home gardeners

Monsanto's Seminis Home Garden vegetable seeds on Friday introduced 10 new varieties of vegetable varieties that the company says have been bred to be disease-resistant, adaptable to a wide geographic distribution and are easy to grow.
The 10 new vegetable varieties include yellow wax beans, zucchini, lettuce, broccoli and spinach. Five are peppers, all developed at Monsanto's vegetable seed campus in Woodland.
The zucchini, which is engineered to be disease-resistant, and to produce faster and a longer sustained crop, also was developed in Woodland.
One of the new peppers is called "Tricked You," which is a jalapeno pepper with flavor but no heat.
Neither St. Louis-based Monsanto (NYSE: MON) nor Seminis sells the seeds under its name. They are sold in bulk to seed catalogs and other seed companies, which package and market the seeds.
Read more..
http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2015/02/17/monsanto-makes-highly-hybridized-seeds-available.html

That might cause some very interesting stories with OP seeds gathered via seed trains.. Though I love GMO (Yes, I do work in biotech that enables GMO) I don't really approve with the Schmeisser approach..

I feel like what Monsanto does to farmer's, and what McD's and Walmart do to their farmer's, is pretty ugly ...

It's like the worst of the military complex (planned obsolescence) has migrated to farming, or maybe it's always been there, even, I don't know ...

But, my sister's more knowledgeable about the science of our food, has a related PhD, and isn't anti-GMO ...

Living here, so close to Disney, we've all been exposed to hydroponics since Epcot *opened* like 25 or 30 years ago, now ...

So, I don't know,  I guess I don't think that engineered farming is all that shocking for the most part at this point ...

The lawsuits and intimidation Monsanto engages in w/ the farmers is regrettable though, genuinely ugly ...

grantmichaels said:

The lawsuits and intimidation Monsanto engages in w/ the farmers is regrettable though, genuinely ugly ...

those lawsuits are non existant.

gee its too bad that i cant point you to the thread wherein this was discussed endlessly.

too bad a hoard of idiots got it closed and deleted.

SmokenFire said:

Why Does Monsanto Sue Farmers Who Save Seed?

From their own website qee.  Yer smarter than that...

lol, no you misunderstand.

monsanto does not sue for cross pollination and for means of intimidation as stated above.

they only sue, and rightfully so , in cases of egregious patent infringement. 

they have never once sued for random cross pollination.
grantmichaels said:
hmm ... i'd have to look into that myself ...

i think i differ w/ you on that (which is abnormal) ...

lol, yeah ...

i think it's pretty clear M is evil at this point ...

sure, but they are no different than any other large coorporation.

grantmichaels said:
i believe they've sued people who didn't want to toss the remaining seed and buy a fresh batch the following season ...

that smells like rollover minute bullshit ...

do you have a link for this supposition? did this violate the contractual agreement?

there is such a massive amount of unrequited bullshit regarding what Monsanto does and doesn't do, forgive me if i don't take your word as gospel.

do you have a link for this supposition? did this violate the contractual agreement?

there is such a massive amount of unrequited bullshit regarding what Monsanto does and doesn't do, forgive me if i don't take your word as gospel.

i genuinely wish i had the time right now, but i'm a little busy TONIGHT w/ some plants ... more on this later, though ...

and re: contracts, i mean, it's like w/ TOS and software ...

grantmichaels said:
i genuinely wish i had the time right now, but i'm a little busy TONIGHT w/ some plants ... more on this later, though ...

and re: contracts, i mean, it's like w/ TOS and software ...

absolutly incorrect. a TOS is a joke, sometimes more likely to be thrown out by a judge rather than be upheld.

a SIGNED notarized legal contract is an entirely different matter.  hence why the bank takes your shit when you dont pay a mortgage

D3monic said:
No, It's all semantics. I think the company is a piece of crap and you obviously blow them so it all ends there. I was just sharing a link. 

your link shows nothing that supports your assertion. infact its the opposite from the few that i clicked.

rather than stop by and vomit some stupid bullshit, perhaps contribute something rather than skulk off and do whatever it is you do.

queequeg152 said:

absolutly incorrect. a TOS is a joke, sometimes more likely to be thrown out by a judge rather than be upheld.

a SIGNED notarized legal contract is an entirely different matter.  hence why the bank takes your shit when you dont pay a mortgage

so you can get behind the notion of a company like that approaching monopoly ... a company that imposes planned obsolescence etc? ...

i don't like that ... i mean, it's not my game or life or livelihood, but i mean, it stinks ...

and yes, i'm used to it ... know it's as American as anything else ... but don't mind if i regard it w/ a negative slant ...

grantmichaels said:

so you can get behind the notion of a company like that approaching monopoly ... a company that imposes planned obsolescence etc? ...

i don't like that ... i mean, it's not my game or life or livelihood, but i mean, it stinks ...

and yes, i'm used to it ... know it's as American as anything else ... but don't mind if i regard it w/ a negative slant ...

what you and most don't understand is that what they are doing is completely normal, and IMO its MORE than justified. Somehow the whole naturalism and organic movement has latched onto monsanto like some vicious ignorant kraken grasping at a whaling ship... the only problem with that metaphor is that krakens don't usually need to resort to outright lies and distortions to ply their trade. 

consider this.

they have a limited patent life.... of 7 years.

they spend a shit load of money to develop this patent, so invariably they have to squeeze every god damned dime that they can out of it before this patent expires. why should they turn the other cheek when farmers violate their patents?

moreover, any cheek turning can only beget more patent violation.

additionally, failure to defend any patent, as a rule invalidates the patent itself. infact if there is evidence that a company is ignoring violations of its patent the patent can be withdrawn in some limited cases, especially with trademarks that last decades and decades. 

this technolagy was NOT developed by a public university, but by a private money grubbing corporation with lots of rich money grubbing investors. why should anyone invest in monsanto if they will not defend the products that they spend billions on to bring to market?

regardless of how you might feel about GMO products and conventional farming, the fact is that these farmers would not be using their products were they not turning a profit above and beyond what the seeds themselves cost.
and regarding their monopoly status... as far as i know they are the biggest, but not monopolistic. dow and syrgenta are big players, and bigger than monsanto in many areas.  for what ever reason the kraken has shown little interest in them.

"they have to squeeze every god damned dime that they can out of it before this patent expires"

i think they're doing OK ...

i understand what it means to be a public corporation ... and i also know about new (public benefit) plan b corp's in baltimore (do you? *very* interesting, imo) ... i'd like to see more ag companies fall into this new type, plan b ...

so, are you totally anti-heirloom ... do you think it's wise to allow genetic diversity to dwindle? ... do you know how inbreeding works in terms of resilience and durability of species etc? ...

i dunno dude, i have a decent science education (admittedly now 15 yrs antiquated) myself and i have questions ... and you sound so sure, which boggles me ...

Back