• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

how to make hot oil???

I have alot of cayenne peppers this year and they are not all that hot just freash but the other day I overheated a pot of homemade soup with one pepper cut up.

I am thinking that a pail of peppers ran throgh the food processor then mixed with oil and heated on low overnight would work well???

I have a little hot plate that I could use outside so I dont kill the wife in her sleep.

what kind of oil ???

grapeseed??
olive??
corn??

Don't heat the oil you will ruin it. If you want some hot oil, dehydrate the peppers, and then just put them in the oil and let it all happen. This is the best way, because since the peppers are dehydrated, the oil will penetrate them, and then the oil will seep back out and you have hot oil. If you don't dehydrate, you have water in there, and the oil will trap it in like a barrier.

You can heat it,but dehydrated peppers is probably the best to use, simply because there isn't any moisture added to the oil. When I make mine I put about 3 cups of dried Habs in a large soup pot n then add my oil(either olive or canola) at least 1 n 1/2 gallons over the peppers n put into a pre heated oven set at 385 degrees for 1 hour n 45 minutes. Let cool, strain with a mesh strainer. If you want it real clean, strain again with cheese cloth also. If this is a gift for someone else add some colorful dried peppers.

If ya Google chili oil there are ton of recipes.
It's main using dried chilies, and keping the right temperature of the oil..usually around 180F. Scorched oil tastes very bad.. ;)

Here's a couple:

Chili Oil Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Show: Everyday Italian
Episode: Hot & Spicy

2 cups olive oil
4 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper flakes

Combine the oil and crushed red pepper flakes in a heavy small saucepan. Cook over low heat until a thermometer inserted into the oil registers 180 degrees F, about 5 minutes.

Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature, about 2 hours. Transfer the oil and pepper flakes to a 4-ounce bottle. Seal the lid. Refrigerate up to 1 month.​

How to Make Chili Oil (Hung Yao)
http://chinesefood.about.com/od/szechuansaucesseasonings/ss/chilioil.htm

That should be useful for ya. :)
Chili oil also makes great gifts..ya can get fun containers at the dollar store os thrift stores.
Folks will love the personal touch..if not the heat...:mouthonfire:

-QS

No need to refrigerate, provided you stay with the dried peppers.
No moisture,and no oxygen, = no bacteria. Last batch I made was
June 07, still have some left. I use it mainly for popping my popcorn, in
salads, n with pasta. mmmmmmmmmmmm good.

I'm guessing the cooked version would be more pungunt than the non-cooked?

FAIK, all the traditional asian oils are cooked.
Well, then there's the whole sambal deal, but that's different. :)

With infused oils, there's hot infusion, and cold infusion. Cold infusion takes weeks, hot is instant. To me the end result is better with cold infusion.

Hot or Cold, they're both good. It's all up to how soon you want it. Hot, n you'll have it latter on that day, or the very latest 1 day later.
Or, cold if you are willing to wait a few weeks.

I dont really like the oil made with dried pepper....so Thats my recipe:
I hope my english is good enough!

washers to cut the peppers mature and possibly withered in the house for a few days. put a lot of of salt on them and put them in a cup. sometimes u move them. Immerse after 24 hours, after having tried to remove more salt possible, in vinegar. leave for 24 hours. after this period, Dry and place them in jars, then after I pressed, fill the jars of good italian oil and they are ready. do not require sterilization. a variant, for those not loved vinegar, they hit after 24 hours of salt, brushed good from salt, oil. But still a little 'more salty. is the process (the first) which is used to make pumpkin sott'loio (good!) and to make the green tomatoes in oil (good!).

If you don't mind I will try to clean it up a bit...
mammoccio said:
washers to cut the peppers mature and possibly withered in the house for a few days. put a lot of of salt on them and put them in a cup. sometimes u move them. Immerse after 24 hours, after having tried to remove more salt possible, in vinegar. leave for 24 hours. after this period, Dry and place them in jars, then after I pressed, fill the jars of good italian oil and they are ready. do not require sterilization. a variant, for those not loved vinegar, they hit after 24 hours of salt, brushed good from salt, oil. But still a little 'more salty. is the process (the first) which is used to make pumpkin sott'loio (good!) and to make the green tomatoes in oil (good!).
Wash and cut ripened or slightly overripened peppers, put a lot of salt on them in a cup. Stir them once in awhile. After 24 hours immerse in vinegar to remove salt. Leave for 24 hours. Then, dry and place in jars. Press them down, and fill with a good oil, as in Italian extra virgin olive oil. No preservatives needed. Or, if you don't like vinegar, don't add it, and brush the salt off before adding the oil. They will be saltier. The first process is the one used to make pumpkin sott'loio and green tomatoes in oil.

salt n vinegar aren't needed. All that is required is completely dried peppers of your choice ( I use Habs ), and an oil of your choice ( I use either Olive or Canola ) heated or not.

Back