• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Violent weather!

TNR and Geonerd (weather nut kindred spirits of mine) got me thinking this afternoon about storm chasing and thunderstorms and tornados and such. I started remembering all the storm chasing I used to do back in the late '90s through the mid '2000s. Man, I've seen some things…  :shocked:
     But then I started thinking about how many of us THP members I know live in tornado alley (Juanitos?!). AAAAnd, considering how most of us are adrenaline junky chileheads, I bet there are a fair number more of us who have either done some storm chasing or have otherwise witnessed Mother Nature's jaw-dropping wrath up close and personal.
     Sooo… Ever seen a tornado? From the inside?! How about a derecho with 100mph winds? What's the biggest hail you've ever seen? Ever seen a garage slide through someone's backyard after being pushed off it's foundation like a cardboard box? How about a HURRICANE? (does weather get more fucked up than that?)
     Let's hear it. 

I used to take lightning pictures. I have many, many awesome pics.

Attachments

• lightning.jpg
    lightning.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 45
  • lightning2.jpg
    lightning2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 44
  • lightning3.jpg
    lightning3.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 44
oh yeah was in my dads basement 5 years ago right after he passed , i was sweating new plumbing , sirens went off hear it came right through the back yard , took out the whole street behind me .  scared the shit out of me ! sounded like a damn locomotive coming into the basement ! then we had one go right by my backyard ( out by the river ) last year actually came down in a little town west then cruised thru the corn fields , up over the river and then gone .  thats enough for me !      :onfire:

Ocho Cinco said:
I used to take lightning pictures. I have many, many awesome pics.

I love watching lightning at night! Especially if it's illuminating really wicked clouds like in your first pic. I love that third pic. That just looks MEAN!
     I watched a sheet lightning storm years ago at a friend's place near the Twin Cities. It went on for hours. Every bolt started as just a single streak, then spread like a cobweb across the entire cloud ceiling. Over and over and over… We got sick of it after two hours or so. 
     Definitely post more pics of lighting or any other storms, Ocho!
moruga welder said:
oh yeah was in my dads basement 5 years ago right after he passed , i was sweating new plumbing , sirens went off hear it came right through the back yard , took out the whole street behind me .  scared the shit out of me ! sounded like a damn locomotive coming into the basement ! then we had one go right by my backyard ( out by the river ) last year actually came down in a little town west then cruised thru the corn fields , up over the river and then gone .  thats enough for me !      :onfire:

I think I remember hearing about that storm that went by your place last year. Big outbreak. I can't imagine how thoroughly I would shit my drawers if I saw a tornado coming towards my house! Seeing one while out chasing is one thing. You can move a car...

I have been in a tornado (as a child in NC) and I have seen a couple. The one I was in was rated an F-2/F-3 (two hit that day in the area, not sure which I was in). Hard to find much reliable info from back than.

I was fortunate enough to play in both the 2012 and 2013 derechos that hit Ohio, my home at the time. I ended up having to seek shelter in an Amish farm house during one of them.

I have seen baseball hail and numerous ping pong ball to golf ball sized hail.

I grew up in North Carolina and Virginia Beach, Virginia as a kiddo, so I remember being in a handful of hurricanes, but never any substantial damage.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

I love watching lightning at night! Especially if it's illuminating really wicked clouds like in your first pic. I love that third pic. That just looks MEAN!
     I watched a sheet lightning storm years ago at a friend's place near the Twin Cities. It went on for hours. Every bolt started as just a single streak, then spread like a cobweb across the entire cloud ceiling. Over and over and over… We got sick of it after two hours or so. 
     Definitely post more pics of lighting or any other storms, Ocho!

I think I remember hearing about that storm that went by your place last year. Big outbreak. I can't imagine how thoroughly I would shit my drawers if I saw a tornado coming towards my house! Seeing one while out chasing is one thing. You can move a car...
your not but a hour away from me eh ? theres a lot more people on here not far from me than i expected ! thats cool ! 

TrueNorthReptiles said:
I have been in a tornado (as a child in NC) and I have seen a couple. The one I was in was rated an F-2/F-3 (two hit that day in the area, not sure which I was in). Hard to find much reliable info from back than.

I was fortunate enough to play in both the 2012 and 2013 derechos that hit Ohio, my home at the time. I ended up having to seek shelter in an Amish farm house during one of them.

I have seen baseball hail and numerous ping pong ball to golf ball sized hail.

I grew up in North Carolina and Virginia Beach, Virginia as a kiddo, so I remember being in a handful of hurricanes, but never any substantial damage.

Check, check, check and check. Yup, that's about one of each! 

Ocho Cinco said:
A line of storms moving through in 2012

You gotta love those gust fronts that look like the mothership from Independence Day!

edit: More awesome shots, by the way. They really capture that eerie feeling you get after the shelf cloud is on top of you, but before the outflow hits. I know I have some pics of exactly that somewhere around here...

queequeg152 said:
my roomate had this cannon camera with hacked firmware... it could be setup to take motion activated photos. are you doing something similar to get these lightning photos?

I take videos and then take screenshots out of them.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Check, check, check and check. Yup, that's about one of each! 

You gotta love those gust fronts that look like the mothership from Independence Day!

edit: More awesome shots, by the way. They really capture that eerie feeling you get after the shelf cloud is on top of you, but before the outflow hits. I know I have some pics of exactly that somewhere around here...

It was very eerie! I was actually a really nice day before that storm came in.

I've been in proximity of quite a few tornados. Never had a view of them though since it's usually too dark and nasty to see anything. I remember one occasion in Lincoln NE there was a bunch of funnel clouds going over the city. I was on Acid but was with a group of 3 other people that were not and we all seen the same 3 funnel clouds churning together overhead. Soon as they got out of the city they dropped and tore a bunch of shit up. 

I had a couple old photos still on my camera. Nothing special. Just a nasty storm that had come through one day. Sirens went off but never spotted a real funnel in this one. 

Ocho Cinco said:

I take videos and then take screenshots out of them.

That's a good idea actually. I never had good luck just trying to snap them. 

I've never had a tornado pass over me but have seen plenty up close and personal.

Hurricanes?

Been there, done that.

Blizzards?

C'mon now, I lived in Alaska for 30 years.

Earthquakes?

See above statement.

Volcanic eruptions?

Again see above.

Now I live in north Texas.

Thunder and lightning storms?

Tornados?

That's called wednesday.

texas blues said:
I've never had a tornado pass over me but have seen plenty up close and personal.

Hurricanes?

Been there, done that.

Blizzards?

C'mon now, I lived in Alaska for 30 years.

Earthquakes?

See above statement.

Volcanic eruptions?

Again see above.

Now I live in north Texas.

Thunder and lightning storms?

Tornados?

That's called wednesday.

:shocked:  Jeez. I'm glad you made it this long! 

use to live in San Fransico when the giants and A's was playing and the earthquake hit I had just got off the Oakland bay bridge and stopped and watched part of the bridge take a high dive..when on leave when in the navy I when and saw my grandma and aunt in Ozarks well the first night tornado hit took roof off I sleep thru it woke up to see sky they forgot I was there and they was in the shelter. and I now live 10 miles from where they lived and I lived in Louisiana 11 years had my share of hurricanes I was working off shore at a rig and the barge I was on had to stay during a hurricane cause the beacon that warned that a rig was there had broke and no replacement. And guess who stayed at home during the hurricanes and even went outside to watch everything fly away and sing over the rainbow ya crazy me LOL I know that these are extremely dangerous but at the same time how alsome and wonderful they are.

I 'member living in the RIo Grande Valley and the hurricanes coming.

When news hit that one was coming the liquor stores sold out.

Same for Alaska but differnt'

3 feet of snow forecasted for Girdwood?

No problemo.

Get to the store pronto and buy out ever last rolling paper in case of avalanche blocking the road.

In Anchorage they planned for such sheeit.

No matter how bad it gets, snow, earthquakes, volcanos, zombies....

The liquor stores are all 'bidness as usual.

Texas get the most tornadoes of any state. I only ever saw a water spout. I have been through numerous hurricanes, starting with Alicia in 1983. And one typhoon in Japan.

Back