• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds First Seedling

I think I am up to speed on HP, so here's my first post.

I usually buy plants from Chili Peppers.com and grow on my south facing balcony here in DC.

This year I'm trying growing from seed.  Got a heat mat, trays and lids from work and finally have my first seeding 16 days later.

I'm not sure what to do now.  It's bitter cold here, feel like it will be happier under the dome but have read to pull when it first sprouts.  It is a Chultepino.  Have no lights - just no room or enough outlets.

Thanks for any advice!

Al

You have what you have, but you far better than many by having a south facing window. Warmer days are coming.
I cant tell from the pic how many starts you have so I cannot further assist in what else you may need, and not avoid needing. Being in DC, spring has a way of arriving early, just ask the cherry trees. But I fear you will need some form of additional light before its over. I count 5 starts and they will become rather large by the time your last frost date arrives. what type of peppers did you plant?

You don't need lights as long as you have a south facing window and it doesnt get too cold inside, its what i do all the time and i get less light at this time of year.

Just expect very slow growth at first and take care when you first take them outside to the balcony, they are likely to suffer for a few weeks then (wind and the more intense light). Also take care they don't dry out; don't put them above a heater.

I have 2 and I'm thrilled.  Long story short...

Don't usually start from seeds, but got mini tobasco and red brain from Jason at Jasosn's Fire Fusions as a gift.  (great hot sauce, BTW)  I work for a catering company so have access to all kinds of little containers, trays and lids.  Put the seeds in MG seed starter in 2 oz cups, in a tray under a lid with a heat mat cushioned by towels and an amazon floatie to control heat.  The heat mat has to be plugged in to an extension cord so I'm not comfortable leaving it on during the day when I'm not here.  
The set up:

I also started some Chultepetinos that I dried last year.  They are they only one that have started.

I have put the seedings under a desk lamp on a plate with foil.  leave it on all day.  None of the others have germinated.  bottom watering the seedlings and they are looking good.  

Using plain water that I've left out in a pan to get rid of chorine etc.  No feed yet, right?  How long do I wait for the others?  Its been 2.5 weeks for the first, just put them in the soil, the new ones one week, soaked in warm water over night.

Tea?  Hydrogen Peroxide?  So many thoughts and questions.  

So far so good for these little two.

Alynne said:
I think I am up to speed on HP, so here's my first post. I usually buy plants from Chili Peppers.com and grow on my south facing balcony here in DC. This year I'm trying growing from seed.  Got a heat mat, trays and lids from work and finally have my first seeding 16 days later. I'm not sure what to do now.  It's bitter cold here, feel like it will be happier under the dome but have read to pull when it first sprouts.  It is a Chultepino.  Have no lights - just no room or enough outlets. Thanks for any advice! Al
Looking good I don't have any lights ether and have them in a four tier greenhouse in my room by a south facing window.
This is my first year growing this many varieties and ive gotten mixed results but I can't complain there is a lot of good people here.
I am sure there is someone better to sort you out then me .To me we are all noobs cause there is always something to learn.
I will keep my seedlings here in my room till it gets a bit warmer sometime in march I will move the whole operation to my main plant room.
Sorry for all this rambling that really hasn't helped you best of luck on your grow

Plant guy, thanks for the interest. It helps. Not sure where Jackson is, but have family from Marceline.
My grandfather ran the dry goods stood for 40 years.

Back