• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plants growing slowly??

I  have two Bhut plants that have been growing since mid November, yet i feel like they are having stunted growth. At first, they seemed to explode in growth when i first put them outside. But now its been a lot slower, to where it seems like its almost none at all. I give them fish emulsion every once in a while, which i think helps a little. Im definitely not over watering, oftentimes i forget to water them to where they are severely wilting, almost dead. Do you think that might be the problem? Or is this rate of growth normal? 

Growing Medium:
75 % Peat Moss
20 % Mushroom Compost
5% Organic Potting Mix

I live in South Florida, so the temperature and humidity are fairly high.

The photos below show them in standard 4 inch pots

Seems as if you may have too much peat moss in your medium and no drainage...Others will chime in so hang tight.

When I say drainage, I mean perlite or something along those lines.

Definitely need to be re-potted. Needs more soil, looks like there is an inch to 2 inches between soil line and the top of the pot. Also using terracotta pots will wick water alot faster from soil in our hot and windy climate at times. Good luck :)

I am going with the others on the pot size, but want to add that letting them dry out seems to make mine grow faster.  Even when I am away and the kids forget to water to the point of wilt, they seem to jump back to life and grow even faster.  On the climate there in Florida... jealous here in Kentucky.

hmm, that didnt even cross my mind that the pot size might be too small, thanks for the help guys.

Roguejim said:
3 month old bhuts in 4" pots grown in Florida climate=root bound.

Spicytigger said:
Definitely need to be re-potted. Needs more soil, looks like there is an inch to 2 inches between soil line and the top of the pot. Also using terracotta pots will wick water alot faster from soil in our hot and windy climate at times. Good luck :)

ajdrew said:
I am going with the others on the pot size, but want to add that letting them dry out seems to make mine grow faster.  Even when I am away and the kids forget to water to the point of wilt, they seem to jump back to life and grow even faster.  On the climate there in Florida... jealous here in Kentucky.

moruga welder said:
get those babies in some ten gallon pots and watch them shoot up !     :onfire:

You've got to be a bit careful with peat moss, when it stays damp it's great at absorbing moisture but if you let it fully dry out it will be extremely hydrophobic (repels water) unless it has been treated with 'wetting agents'.
I reckon 75% peat moss is way too high. It's either going to absorb too much water and be a soggy mess or just repel water if it had dried out. Either way ... not good for healthy root development!

nuclearDays said:
You've got to be a bit careful with peat moss, when it stays damp it's great at absorbing moisture but if you let it fully dry out it will be extremely hydrophobic (repels water) unless it has been treated with 'wetting agents'.
I reckon 75% peat moss is way too high. It's either going to absorb too much water and be a soggy mess or just repel water if it had dried out. Either way ... not good for healthy root development!
i didnt know that, thank you.

Back