• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Butch Fairy ???

Has anyone grown Butch Fairy?  Reading about it and have never known a pepper to go threw its color changes as it matures.  Pods go from green, to black, to yellow, and then to the common orange and red.  Black then yellow?  Have grown some bells that go green to yellow and then dark purple / black but never a thing go from black to anything other than the dinner table or slop bucket.

The White firecrackers I grow do similar changes. They start mottled dark purlple / tiny bit of cream, the. Going almost pure white, then yellow , orange and then red. Definitely 5 colour changes .. But there s dominantly ornamental pepper , not too bad for flavour but very seedy.

I'm currently doing a firecracker x Moruga cross as we speak almost getting to seed harvest time to grow my F1's , I'm hoping I can get a multi colour changing Moruga with upward facing peppers

ajdrew said:
Has anyone grown Butch Fairy?  Reading about it and have never known a pepper to go threw its color changes as it matures.  Pods go from green, to black, to yellow, and then to the common orange and red.  Black then yellow?  Have grown some bells that go green to yellow and then dark purple / black but never a thing go from black to anything other than the dinner table or slop bucket.

It it a true black or more of  a dark purple that gets called black.. I cant find any photos or info about them?

it doesn't sound like a stable variety. the draft was declined on wiki and the image was deleted..
i can find about 0 occurrences of it on google

The Butch Fairy is a derivative chilli cross bred from the "Trinidad Scorpion Butch T" cultivar and has therefore quite a bite to it's level of spice. The peppers are quite small at around an inch or two long and are now in their second full season, so relatively new to the world (as of 2014). Apart from some serious heat and an amusing name (derived from their parentage) they have some extraordinary colour changes through their ripening, as after they have their green start they go black, before turning yellow / orange then red to finish. Created in Norfolk, England by an anonymous hobbyist the Butch Fairy pepper is quite a lively chilli in many ways.

KrackenPeppers - There is the thing exactly.  As with the white firecracker (thanks for the photo) it is unusual to start off dark purple / black.  I think usually it is a function of the chlorophyll and I -think- usually due to colder weather.  In other peppers, the darker colors seem to be the final stages not the starting stages.  Just kind of makes it a cool thing to grow because it is weird.  But maybe I am odd, I grow Peter Peppers just cause they are weird.  Too much fiber to enjoy.

KrakenPeppers said:
Sounds like a "Unicorn" to me lol

Exactly.  Chasing unicorns is fine sport.  Its like stamp collecting or any other collection of the sort except you have to keep the things alive.

ajdrew said:

They do exist Ajdrew. I grew a Brazillian Chinence that went from Black to Orange as being the final colour.

It's called Pimenta Preta, here are some piccies-
ph_10082.jpg

Taken 6/5/2009

ph_10081.jpg

Taken 2/6/2009

Micca

I hope to have my own set of Unicorns next season with my F1's that are cooking.. If not the second round of F2's... More details as it progresses.

Kraken, what you going for?  Look, color, taste, heat?  I love food, but have to admit that the look of a thing in the garden is a major influence for me.  Love the ones that reach for the sky.  Also dig the odd whites, blacks, and other less common colors.

ajdrew said:
Kraken, what you going for?  Look, color, taste, heat?  I love food, but have to admit that the look of a thing in the garden is a major influence for me.  Love the ones that reach for the sky.  Also dig the odd whites, blacks, and other less common colours.

I have several firecracker crosses... I'm looking to create several varieties that are upright facing, multicolour changing in varying Shapes , heat and flavours..  Also looking for mottled and patchy patterned peppers too. My first few crossed firecracker pods are almost ripened so I'll have the F1 seeds in the pots soon.

I have to agree with you... The first thing I look for at when evaluating a pepper is the looks.. I love seeing pods that make you go WOW .. now that is awesome !!  I had a Yaki Blue x Firecracker pod that was almost there.. Then I checked it yesterday.. Big bug hole in one side .. BAH!!!!!   Oh well..  Still have several other options cooking..

I have seen Reapers go from green to completely brown then to the orange --> red sequence. I thought for sure that it was a possible off pheno for some 'Chocolate Reapers', but the conclusion (just a guess) seemed to be due to a drastic temperature drop for a few nights caused it to change brown. I know other plants will go from green to purple under the stress of sudden cold temps, but this went to brown - and all other plants went the traditional orange --> red. It was one singular plant...all brown. Too bad it didn't stick. Strange nature... :eh:

Cgn 21566 goes from black to orange. Have a couple plants this year and I'm looking forward to playing around with them. Plants so far are very dark/purple.

Kraken, now I wish I had saved the url.  While googling n surfing, found something I seem to recall being called a zebra something pepper or something zebra pepper.  It was an upright that had multi colors in it.  Beautiful, thought to order the seeds but decided it was too late in the season.  Thought I book marked it, but now can not find.

I'm about to put my first set of F1 pods into the dirt for "Hopefully" multi changers of a superhot variety..  Well see what the F1 pods bring in.. But if they don't I know I'll be able to get an F2 that will... Once I get me a confirmed "upright multi changing Super Hot " I'll be forwarding you some for sure AJ .. :P

ajdrew said:
Am feeling like part of history.  My one little experiment is just all brown n ugly.

I have several varieties crossed at the moment that will have multi-changing colour parents with varying types of pods... Lots of potential fairy's for you.. I will bring you your supernatural creature. Another variety is about to finish ripening and will be going in the soil soon, and I just finished mixing up another 4-5 types yesterday.

Thinking that with the expanding interest in gardening, people are looking for unique.  Not just chili heads mind you.  More and more folk are gardening now a days and the interest in rare and unusual is as strong if not stronger than chili heads for chili.  Am sure beauty will appeal to those folk like hot appeals to chili heads.

PS Assuming the heightened interest in gardening is alive and well down under.

Back