• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Two seedlings distinctly different from same pod?

These are two of my Chiltepin/Reaper F1 crosses still in my grow room due to current weather system.  Wanted to put them out this weekend but not happening with this rain.  LOL

Both are healthy and growing at same rate under exact same light and nute's.  One has pretty normal leaf formation, the other has knarly new leaves but after a couple of days they look normal again.  They came from the same pod and were started together under same conditions along with 18 others that all have no wrinkled leaves.  I've no idea what to think of it.

Normal
hdViW48.jpg

Odd indeed
vJQ8sSY.jpg

Nuclieye said:
These are two of my Chiltepin/Reaper F1 crosses still in my grow room due to current weather system.  Wanted to put them out this weekend but not happening with this rain.  LOL

Both are healthy and growing at same rate under exact same light and nute's.  One has pretty normal leaf formation, the other has knarly new leaves but after a couple of days they look normal again.  They came from the same pod and were started together under same conditions along with 18 others that all have no wrinkled leaves.  I've no idea what to think of it.

Normal
hdViW48.jpg

Odd indeed
hdViW48.jpg

They look remarkably similar to me...

The older leaves look almost exactly alike. It kind of looks, to me, like the plant with the wrinkly new leaves sustained some kind of damage to the meristem.

There can be quite a different appearance between two puppies in a litter from the same parents, thus two seeds from the same pod could produce very different seedlings.

With 2 such different parents, you're bound to notice some differences, even at the seedling stage. Honestly, i can't wait to see what happens in the F2 generation, when some recessives pair up, and things start looking like quite the mix!!

Back