• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaf curling/discoloration, Bhut jolokia, Aerogarden

Hello all, I've only posted to the forum a few times (last year) and have returned to find out if I could get help in identifying the issues affecting my bhut jolokias. I was previously growing 7 plants in one aerogarden (waaay too many) so I thinned it out to 3 in one unit and 2 in another. The unit with 2 is here at work, serving as a pleasant distraction from the IT world. Initial growth is green, healthy. Top/old growth ends up slightly yellow, leaves curling upward. Some leaves seem slightly patchy. Friends at a hydroponic store said the ppm could be too high, causing nutrient lockout, so I emptied the reservoir and refilled it, making sure the ppm was below 800. I've seen conflicting tables stating target ppm for hot peppers should be over 1000, while others say 500-600. 

The details: 
- 2 bhut jolokia plants, about 1.5yrs old
- Aerogarden Ultra
- Dynagro 7-9-5 - used per directions
- Magical 2-3-1 - used per directions
- 730ppm
- 6.6pH

2uIKlRr.jpg

UMKwE4T.jpg

0Jm3kUG.jpg

zrQcggr.jpg

Unfortunately I don't know much about hydro, but I've seen the same thing occasionally at plant-out. It's a nute/stress issue, so I think reducing the strength of the ferts is a good first step. Good news all the plants I've seen do that have bounced back, just required a little time. 

maximumcapsicum said:
Unfortunately I don't know much about hydro, but I've seen the same thing occasionally at plant-out. It's a nute/stress issue, so I think reducing the strength of the ferts is a good first step. Good news all the plants I've seen do that have bounced back, just required a little time. 

had the same happen with a few of mine ( non hydro tho ) backed off the water / ecovie . now using a little bat guano they came around and now nice dark green .    :onfire:

Thanks guys. I'll try diluting the nutrient solution to bring down the ppm to around 600 and add a bit more MagiCal, which includes calcium. 

Back