• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

USDA Seed Bank

Today I got approved by the USDA Seed Bank for Pepper seeds that they have in storage. They shipped as of today 20 seeds each of the following peppers

VIKTORIA - Former Soviet Union
serrano seco grande - Puebla, Mexico
RAT CHILLI - Mexico
UVILLA GRANDE - Mexico
CHILE CERANO - Mexico
GUMDROP - Colombia
Tipo Jalapeno - Federal District, Mexico
Tipo Sandia - Federal District, Mexico 
Chili Serrano - Mexico
Chili Tepine - Mexico
ANCHO - Mexico
Zacapalena - Mexico
LOCO - Mexico
Elsita - St. Croix, Virgin Islands (U.S.)
GRANDE - Spain
BLANCO DEL PAI - Puerto Rico
SERRANO - Mexico
Shanghai Pepper - China
Tampiqueno - Guanajuato, Mexico
Xcatic - Mexico 
Blanco criollo ancho - Mexico 
Blanco criollo - Mexico
Guajillo ancho - Mexico
de Arbol - Mexico
Jalapeno candelaria - Veracruz, Mexico
Tientsin Hot Red Long - China 
White kandhari - India
Chile jalapeno. - Mexico
LOUISANA RED CAYENNE - Louisiana, United States 
Peter Pepper - United States 
de Cayenne - Niger
Cayenne Large Red Thick - United States
Serrano Vera Cruz HDV - Mexico
Serrano Tampiqueno - Mexico
Serrano Huasteco - Mexico
Altamira - Mexico 
Tabaquero - Mexico
Chilli Cabai - Malaysia
Red Hot - Philippines
King Gum Go Chu - Korea, South
Pasilla de Oaxaca - Mexico 
NuMex Barker's Hot - United States
Charleston Hot - South Carolina, United States
Cayenne Ultra - United States
Chile Negro - Mexico
Fire - United States 
Golden Cayenne - United States
Hot Claw - United States
Serrano - Mexico
Sinahuisa - United States 
Tangerine Dream
Jalapeno landrace - Mexico
Caliente - United States
Wenk's Yellow Hots - United States
Carolina Cayenne - South Carolina, United States
Serrano criollo - El Progreso, Guatemala
Jalapeno - Jutiapa, Guatemala
Jalapeno - Guatemala
Serrano - El Progreso, Guatemala
Mexico - Mexico
Jacq.Habanero Mexico
Jalapeno amarillo - Yucatan, Mexico
Yellow Squash - United States
Habanero naranja - Guatemala
Habanero amarillo - Peten, Guatemala
Habanero rojo - Peten, Guatemala

Impressive...the sinahuisa looks pretty neat

Grif_15232_FOP_2006.jpg

wait how did you get approved, pm me if you want.

i tried emailing them and stuff but they don't talk to me.

ps. 
will be nice to take lots of pics so we can update database with info ;)

Freaking awesome, a lot of neat Mexican varieties! I would love to try some landrace Jalapeno varieties of that list, some I haven't even heard of before.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Is "sinahuisa" a variety of aphid?  :sick:
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/acchtml.pl?1646990

juanitos said:

yeah i've read they won't send out to hobby / gardeners / businesses only for research.
Wondering how he qualified as research.. do i just need to say i'm with a pepper society working on documenting and stabilizing pepper strains or what.
Yeah, not sure, but this thread has some interesting responses... http://www.permies.com/t/6255/permaculture/free-seeds-USDA

"I urge you NOT to request 'free' seeds from the USDA.  I cringed a bit when I saw this thread.  It is not meant for this purpose.  It is not for someone new to gardening who is all excited to grow something.  It is for research and breeding purposes.  And if you are indeed breeding, trialing, and experienced, fine.  I know I am sounding really hateful here, but I don't mean to be.  But, it has happened before that someone put out the info that everyone could get free seeds on the internet.  Everyone started ordering seeds, and one guy was dumb enough to go bragging all over the place that he was getting seeds, then selling them on ebay.  You can imagine what the fallout from that was.  Truth is, many of the seeds are old accessions that won't germinate anyway.  " - plantsnobin

It's very hard to get seeds from seedbanks, they rejected me every time because I'm a hobby grower. Even though I explain I will do personal research on the accession and not sell seeds or anything. It's just about growing it for me.

Very cool. There are quite a few on that list I don't recognize. I think the USDA Seed Bank is going to get lots of fresh requests (me included!).

Man, I sent off for some seeds from the USDA, both peppers and ancient wheat, and I just received the wheat today in the mail, and I would assume the peppers will be here soon. :)  I ordered over 30 different pepper seeds, some of them very rare and ones I have never heard of. I was honest and mentioned straight up that I am looking to create new pepper species that are resistant to different problems here in Florida. The only way you can get them is if your doing research, educational or breeding purposes. Man I am stoked!
Casselberry-Altamonte Springs-20150313-00321.jpg

yes its not hard to get them just take some pictures and keep data on them and email it to them they are working on a system where you can seed info thru their web site

Fred if you could please advise either here or via private message how you got approval it would be much appreciated. Despite having legitimate research work I would like to pursue in which they could assist, they turned me down. I'd made sure not to request anything with a hold/restriction on it either. Mostly was looking at Afghani capsicum varieties for establishing drought-tolerance, and my list wasn't as long. Wondering if they want proof of incorporation or anything.

AaronTT said:
Man, I sent off for some seeds from the USDA, both peppers and ancient wheat, and I just received the wheat today in the mail, and I would assume the peppers will be here soon. :)  I ordered over 30 different pepper seeds, some of them very rare and ones I have never heard of. I was honest and mentioned straight up that I am looking to create new pepper species that are resistant to different problems here in Florida. The only way you can get them is if your doing research, educational or breeding purposes. Man I am stoked!
attachicon.gif
Casselberry-Altamonte Springs-20150313-00321.jpg
That's awesome!!

Back