• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Naga Viper - When was it first available?

I am trying to figure out when the Naga Viper first came into existence.  I know that Guinness recognized it as the world's hottest in 2011 but looking for some thing more along the lines of when seeds were first available.

Was trying to date creation, but the Guinness thing is a fun topic.

Per Wikipedia the Naga Viper was crowned by Guinness - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Viper_pepper

Per Popular Science, noted author Dave DeWitt made fun of Guinness for crowning the Naga Viper. saying: "This is science, and they are a beer company,"  Same article has Jim Duffy saying Guinness gave the crown to a pepper that was not established.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-06/fyi-what-hottest-pepper-world

Duffy went on:

Duffy also says that there is no way Fowler could have created his record pepper in such a short time. "It's a fairy tale," he says. "It's scientifically impossible. If you were going to try to create a new variety by cross-pollinating two varieties, it would take you five years. And the Naga Viper, which is a three-way hybrid? That would take you 10 to 12 years."

Also found the Guinness Book record noted at Buckeye Pepper, another member of THP

https://buckeyepepper.com/naga-viper

So fairly sure it was awarded the crown by Guinness and then there was a shit storm of people objecting. So maybe the answer to my question is it has not yet been available because a pepper that is not stable is not really a pepper, but more of a collection of peppers?

Still trying to figure out when it was first available under that name, stable or not.

By its own obscurity and false representation you would assume it first came on to scene direct to Guiness so 2011 but lets say is as a crazy F2 that made waves ... 2009 at most as I thought earlier .. but who knows other than the cultivar

Kraken, that is where my thinking is going.  Have an email out to the person who is credited with its creation.  For now, let us assume what we are thinking about the dating is correct.  Would it be at all possible for a stable cross of the Naga Viper and something else to exist today?

I always thought the Viper looked like a cross between a Naga Morich and a Red Savina.. Has that super shiny Hab cross look.. And based on what Super Hots benefit from Hab crossing it wouldn't surprise me.

Ahhh now I see where your going with this...

To be honest if you where to Hydro or Aeroponicaly  grow the plants to a restricted size within realistic maturity size... hoping to knock 30 days of first pod ripening times and grew out each seed as soon as possible you could get a plant to F6-F8  by now you would think and that would be stable enough for me to be happy.. Even if the Viper wasn't stable back then someone could of crossed it off and got a good mix and F'd out till now on that cross.  

I think I seen some Viper cross seeds available not long ago.. What have you been looking at ?

I'm growing Viper crosses this year actually, I have three plants of 7 Pot Jonah X Naga Viper (F4)

in the F4 I would imagine that between 3 plants there will likely be a ton of variations because of how many gene pools that are involved, especially with the viper being so unstable.  I have seeds FROM Viper pods of an unknown generation but didn't plant them this year although one of my coworkers is aiming for 4 of them.

ajdrew said:
Kraken, that is where my thinking is going.  Have an email out to the person who is credited with its creation.  For now, let us assume what we are thinking about the dating is correct.  Would it be at all possible for a stable cross of the Naga Viper and something else to exist today?

Looking at a cross variety ??

FROG DOG said:
i have yet to see 2 photos of the same looking phenotype, i call bullshite :shh:  :liar:rofl:
exactly, I've seen some that look like Nagas and some that look like scorpions with the tail.

Hot Pepper - I think we can all agree that the Carolina Reaper beat the Butch T right?  Well, go to Guinness and search for the Butch T pepper.  All that comes up for me is the Carolina Reaper because the article says it beat the Butch T.  Search for the Red Savina, noting.  Ghost Pepper, again nothing.  All that seems searchable is the current champion.

That is why I provided a link to Popular Science which most people find a credible source and to Buckeye Peppers who most THP folk find to be a credible source.

KrakenPeppers, according to Guinness World Records the Carolina Reaper is a cross between a Habanero and the Naga Viper.  I am NOT trashing on Puckerbutt or the Carolina Reaper.  I am trashing on Guinness World Records.  Please consider this.

1 - Ed Currie has not been specific about what he crossed.  The closest he has come is to say it involved a Naga from Pakistan.  The Naga Viper is so very not from Pakistan.  The thing, if it is a thing, was created in England by Gerald Fowler.  Seems like Guinness just pulled Naga Viper out their ass after Ed Currie said Naga.

2 - Gerald Fowler's business site says his efforts to make the Naga Viper stable are ongoing.  But in 2011, when it was even less stable, Guinness awarded it the hottest pepper in the world title.  Seems to me the thing is not a pepper yet, more of a variety of peppers.

Frog Dog said: "i have yet to see 2 photos of the same looking phenotype, i call bullshite"

Helvete agreed with Frog Dog adding: "exactly, I've seen some that look like Nagas and some that look like scorpions with the tail."

I do like Guinness.  Have a friend in there for holding the most cockroaches in his mouth at one time.  Think he might be in there for swallowing swords too.

I gotta agree but thinking that what is "bullshite" (he must be Scottish) is Guinness World Records. 

ajdrew said:
Hot Pepper - I think we can all agree that the Carolina Reaper beat the Butch T right?  Well, go to Guinness and search for the Butch T pepper.  All that comes up for me is the Carolina Reaper because the article says it beat the Butch T.  Search for the Red Savina, noting.  Ghost Pepper, again nothing.  All that seems searchable is the current champion.

I have no idea. Believe it or not I don't care about records.

I thought it was moruga. See how much I know?

Afterthought: I shouldnt say Guinness is bullshit.  Have friend who is in there for most cockroaches held in someone's mouth and sword swallowing.  His brother is in there for some type of juggling.  Ye, my friends are freaks.  Anyway, Guinness World Records is fun.  But that is about it.

HotPepper - Oh I believe you on the records.  When I cook with super hots, I often cut the seed area out and flush with water to get rid of some of the heat.  That way I can use more and really taste the pepper.  Seems like so many people are so focused on what is the hottest.  I am more of a what is the tastiest and that changes by person and how the thing is grown.

Been reviewing hot sauces.  It is frigging amazing the flavor some folk can get out of a pepper without overwhelming a person with heat.  Then again, maybe the pain receptors in my mouth have gone numb.

So right on guy!

ronaldo_fanbelt said:
I also have a few Naga Viper X ? seeds growing. I'm excited to see what happens with these guys.
I'm not sure who crossed it or where they came from but I think the cross I'm growing was called "Lucy" and it's been floating around quite a bit...only problem being that I don't think anyone agrees on what "Lucy" is supposed to look like lol. 

Which brings into question...

What exactly is a Naga Viper supposed to look like?  I've always kind of assumed they look like fat shiny Nagas with a chubby stinger like the pods I received....but it seems that there's some disagreement on that as well.  A lot of the pictures you see of Fowler with his own Vipers all look different which doesn't help any.

The more I think about it the more I believe the Naga Viper is a cross between a Naga Morich and a 7 Pod Barrackapore.. What apparently passes for a viper looks more like my Barrackapores than it does Naga's..

Naga vipers were the first seeds I ever bought, but none of them popped .. All my other seeds did so I'm thinking it was bad stock.. always wanted some

You know what, I'm gonna put some of those Viper seeds in the dirt tomorrow.  Why not?  I already have more seedlings than I know what to do with XD

Back