smokers Weber Smokers

What's everyone's thoughts on these smokers. Are they durable and worth the price? Keep in mind I'm only looking to spend $2-300 on a smoker so I don't envision getting a real nice one.

Likely the 18" version since I'm afraid the 14.5" version might be too small.

609bf593-592f-458a-af02-c4bd985406c7_400.jpg

Or will 14.5" be too small? I only need enough room for one brisket or a 4-6 lb pork  cut.

Vertical smoker...

If you cook a lot of ribs and brisket you'll want more real estate. (meat is long and flat)

If you cook pulled pork and chicken more, a small one will do.

If you mix-n-match a lot, go for the bigger.

Jeff I have the 23" weber and love it.  Compete regularly with it too.  If you can swing it get the larger one - you'll like the extra real estate I promise.  Using the minion method I can get a solid 5 hrs @ 230 degrees on one load of charcoal with little to no trouble unless its really cold and/or windy.  Solid design, well built and not a hassle to move around when needed.  I love my Weber Smokey Mountain :)  

The 18 may fit one rack of ribs dead center, but if doing more than one, you should go 22. No cutting, or twisting the rack in a rack stand, etc. They cook best flat imo.

Remember, every time you fire up the smoker you want to smoke as much as possible, with the cost of wood, and your time, etc. Smoke up sausage for later in the week. Smoke some pork for tacos another night.

Don't regret your choice.

If you are a DIY guy.. create your own UDS. If done properly it will run you 100-150 bucks on materials, tools excluded. This will get you a 10x better Smoker, though it's a lot of work. Webers are not bad (I'm a Weber fan) but are to small. If you don't have the ambition or space to create a large UDS, go for a horizontal Smoker. And quality really matters in this case. I'd rather buy a nasty used but quality one and clean it, replace the felt liners, repaint it and place a new grill than to buy a brand new chinese one for the same cost. Though you can tune those as well if you're on a budget. The biggest issue with those is a lot of leakage (air/smoke and related temperature swifts) and poor quality metal = rust.

The Hot Pepper said:
That thing is SMALL!

It's just Danielle and I, and she doesn't like much BBQ ...

It's about shape, anyways ... sphere's are wasteful ...

I think you can cook a half-dozen racks of ribs in a PBC, and that would be well, not fun, in a kettle ...

For me, though, it's the set-it-and-forget it aspect ...

Adjust the vent for your elevation, fill it, light it, close and walk away ...

I've seen a lot of grub come off close-enough for me, without much effort ...

Yes, please ...
EDIT: Also, in fairness, it would be the 3rd unit altogether, and there's little chance of me cooking a ton of one kind of thing ... so it being "smaller" than a UDS isn't really applicable to my use case ...

Unlike a UDS or Weber the Pit Barrel Cooker has one cooking grate. Also no dome lid, flat. Can't fit much. For ribs they suggest you hang them from the lid, they give you hooks. This will cook unevenly.

Also no heat deflector. Everything is close to the fire.

Also their dimensions are deceptive.

Q: What is the height and width of the PBC with the horseshoes?
A: The PBC stands 28" tall and 25" wide

A 30-gal drum is 27 1/2" high x 18 1/4" wide. They are counting the legs/top handle and side handles. I don't like that, it is deceptive.

18" WSM is a much better design!

That's not how it works. Heat rises, and there is a much more even temp gradient that you are making out ...

I think you are applying open-top grilling logic, instead of oven logic, errantly ...

I'm too full to REALLY debate it, though ...

A UDS is bigger, though, no doubt ...

I like the hooks, and would be adding it for the, already having plenty of grate space in the other units ...

Everyone likes their WSM's, though ... but, pricey!

If you want to hang ribs from hooks than it's fine for you. I don't like the design. There is no deflector, like the pan in the Weber. For its size you will have a hard time maintaining 225 that close to the heat source. If that is cool with you go for it. And let us know.

Scuba_Steve said:

That seems to be a good kit if you don't know how to weld yes. That's for 55 gal. You have to buy that plus a barrel. I think I'd go WSM 22" before that.

I rub up my ribs real good. I let the rub get wet then hit them with a layer of dry. If I hung them from that lid rub would be falling off. Also the juices are going to run down. If you mop it will be a challenge. Wrapping too, if you put butter or liquid. I just prefer to cook ribs flat, so the PBC would not be for me.
Plus, no deflector = flareups in that small thing from liquids.

Back