• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Chipotle from red or green jalapenos?

Hi, I think that chipotle are normally made from red jalapenos but green are alot easier to find these time. Did the taste of chipotle made from green or red are lot different? Maybe Im wrong but to me its more about the smokey flavor than the pepper and they will both turn brown.

Honestly you'd be better to source chipoltes for sauce unless you know how to make them. It's not just smoking. They are smoke-dried for several days over select woods like pecan, and there are morita and meco chipotles, the meco are prized as the best. They are held the longest on the vine for flavor and are larger.

If you just want to smoke the peppers, then go for it. It won't be a chipotle. But this sauce rocks the smoked green jalapeno:
http://www.consumingfires.com/

Chipotle or not I keep green Jalapeños that I smoke over Apple wood for 4 hours and the turn into powder and its a fantastic seasoning that Inuse in a lot of things. I even keep a pepper shaker full of it on the dinner table that I have to refill constantly. So go smoke what you can find, yes the Ripe red ones are going to be primo but they're all good eats :cool:

Good, from what I read I will not have real chipotle, thats ok to me, I mostly want a smokey flavor for my BBQ and want to do it all buy myself. I will try to find red jalapenos because yes they taste better and I guess the sweeter taste will fit better on BBQ sauce.

The sauce will be with beer form a local microbrewery and the pepper smoke with wood from whisky barrel that serve to age the beer!

The Hot Pepper said:
Honestly you'd be better to source chipoltes for sauce unless you know how to make them. It's not just smoking. They are smoke-dried for several days over select woods like pecan, and there are morita and meco chipotles, the meco are prized as the best. They are held the longest on the vine for flavor and are larger.

If you just want to smoke the peppers, then go for it. It won't be a chipotle. But this sauce rocks the smoked green jalapeno:
http://www.consumingfires.com/
Thanks for the info! its very interesting to read about the meco and morita. I will buy both to have a reference and compare with what we produce.

If you don't use the work "chipotle" in your description, and say something like "made with jalapenos that are smoked in house over apple wood" (or whatever) in the description, that would work fine.  Honesty in the description, customers know you are doing the smoking...

Chipotles are a specific kind of smoke process, etc...but any kind of chile can be smoked, and people will get the idea and essence of chiles you smoke for inclusion in the BBQ sauce.  Smoked Habanero BBQ Sauce, I'd totally look at that.  Applewood Smoked Jalapeno BBQ Sauce....yep, that sounds good. 

If you do want "CHIPOTLE", I second The Boss and just source them.  You can get powders and whole pods for way less than attempting yourself.  Making a BBQ sauce with chiles you have smoked, yea...that's a good niche. 

Damn! said:
Good, from what I read I will not have real chipotle, thats ok to me, I mostly want a smokey flavor for my BBQ and want to do it all buy myself. I will try to find red jalapenos because yes they taste better and I guess the sweeter taste will fit better on BBQ sauce.

The sauce will be with beer form a local microbrewery and the pepper smoke with wood from whisky barrel that serve to age the beer!

Thanks for the info! its very interesting to read about the meco and morita. I will buy both to have a reference and compare with what we produce.
Sounds fantastic!! I have tried smoking peppers with whiskey barrel slats it seemed to produce a slightly bitter taste. I usually smoke peppers with a mild wood like pecan with a mix of cherry for color this produces a fantastic smoke flavor profile without being bitter. :) I also roast any veg such as red onion and garlic etc
The final product is a rich Smokey sauce that keeps getting better with age!! I make my Bbq sauce from a ferment I do with Sun dried tomatoes and other ingredients to be kept secret for now, lol I've used canned chipotles before but my version produces a better flavor profile :) happy smoking and good luck!! :)

You all aware that Chipotle is a mexican pepper variety right?
Chipotle salsa isn't really smoked jalapeños or any other smoked pepper, its just salsa made with Chipotle chiles that happen to taste smoky when dried.
I'm pretty sure there is a smoking process like Hot Pepper said but dried chipotles already taste smoky as well as morita, ancho, negro, guajillo peppers which are other pepper varieties used mainly as a condiments due to its low level of heat and smoky flavors.

RudyGonzalez said:
You all aware that Chipotle is a mexican pepper variety right?
Chipotle salsa isn't really smoked jalapeños or any other smoked pepper, its just salsa made with Chipotle chiles that happen to taste smoky when dried.
Wrong. Jalapeno is the varetiy. Is it smoke-dried into a chipotle in Mexico.

"happen to taste smoky when dried." Wrong again. It is smoke-dried over pecan or other woods.

Well here in Mexico you go to a market, restaurant or anywhere else and jalapeño is one chile and chipotle is another. Chipotle sauce is made with chile chipotle and jalapeños are mostly eaten in vinegar.

RudyGonzalez said:
I'm pretty sure there is a smoking process like Hot Pepper said but dried chipotles already taste smoky as well as morita, ancho, negro, guajillo peppers which are other pepper varieties used mainly as a condiments due to its low level of heat and smoky flavors.
I caught your edit after I posted but you are still wrong. If it is not smoke-dried, it is not a chipotle, so you can't say "chipotles already taste smokey" because they don't exist unless you smoke them. The pepper variety is jalapeno. If you dry it but not smoke it, it is a dried jalapeno. Chipotle is not a variety that grows.

Oh well this is embarrasing, all my life I had been thinking chipotles were a different kind of pepper and the funniest thing is that almost everybody here in Mexico thinks the same or just never thought about it. After a little research I'm still a little reluctant but please everone here accept my apologies, I was wrong. Chipotles are smoked jalapeños =/

Back