• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

rhm3769 2015 Glog - few pics....

Some kind of update is needed here....

I started this adventure back in 2012 growing white habs and Butch t's in containers on an 8th floor balcony. Mostly beginner's luck on that season.
2013 didnt work out as good, I moved and ended up with quite a few 4'x4' beds, alot of mystery mixes and dealing with horn worms and gophers.... 2014 was another move and I was reduced to a single 8'x5' raised bed. Transplants and some attempted over winters from 2013, nothing survived, but I had tomatoes growing like weeds from the compost pile. 2014 was cut short by a midyear move. I started a super chili in a solo cup and managed to get a few from it before the so cal "cold" moved in and I moved yet again.

2015, just relocated to North Carolina, got some small areas in the yard for a bit of gardening. Just put seeds in starting mix in a tray.

A mix of mystery sweets, hoping for 2 plants
Datil
7 pot Douglah, red
Rocoto Amarillo
A variety I acquired in Okinawa, Japan
C01225
C04392
TC07246

As a side project, I'm trying to get my son into gardening, so I have some cucumbers and he insisted on some dwarf sunflowers.

I'm looking at getting everything outside either in the ground or in pots sometime early april.

Good luck this season. I had a horn worm problem last year but luckily they liked the taste of tomato plants over peppers. Probably pulled close to 70 horn worms off of 7 tomato plants during the season and only 1 from the peppers

I'm interested to see how the soil is. I can tell the previous owners grew tomatoes but I can't tell if they went in ground or if they had a raised bed and just dumped the soil in the corner.

I'm thinking of expanding the area in the corner and adding in some ferts if only for the labor and since I'll be out there cleaning up the area.

Haven't completely decided on where the cucumbers are going to go. The area is on the SE corner of the yard with a 6' or so fence. I'm thinking possibly putting the cucumbers closest to the fence, they didnt build to accommodate gardening. The hose connects towards the front of the house, the gate is on the opposite side of the house as the hose, as well....

So I had to be nosy and dig around the starting tray yesterday.
I was not expecting to find cucumbers and sunflowers pushing out tap roots within 24 hours.
Nothing from the peppers yet but there were a few I have a feeling will pop within the next 24 hours.

Not sure on how the peppers will work out for me. everything except the sweets and the okinawa variety have been acquired in trades here over the last few years. Either I couldn't get them to germ previous seasons or they didn't survive long enough to get true leaves because of pests. Still pretty upset thinking about the cutworm that got the rocoto in 2013.

Been looking through some blogs and its going to be hard sticking to this short list, forgot about some I've been wanting to grow....

Germination update: a few sunflowers arem about to break the surface of the seedling mix.... nothing else is visible....

Pictures later today of the sunflowers and cucumber seedlings. Maybe I'm paranoid and seeing things, I swear I saw white things, about the same size as stubble from shaving, moving around some of the cells in the germination tray.

PpEw9R1.jpg

Cucumbers center.... sunflowers off to the left

They're getting bigger.... still no pepper seedlings. But its been hard regulating room temps the last few days. Going to start moving a sunflower or two out into their homes over the next few days....
not passed the last frost date for my area, but the 30 day forecast only shows one day a week with lows below 40....
They grow so fast I won't lose much time if they don't make it or it gets colder.

Want ti start over with the peppers, most of the seeds are getting moldy....

Bought one of those grow seeds in a can thing last night. Chocolate pepper, it's called.... assuming a chocolate hab.... havent had luck with them, figured it was worth a try....

Wishing I had more space, realizing more every day how many varieties I have seed for and how many I'm not growing this year....

moruga welder said:
wishing you a great grow my friend ! great to hear a father being involved with his children that way , cherish the time ! they grow up so quickly ! i miss those days ( sometimes lol) mine are now 34,25,22,17 .    :onfire:
thanks for the encouragement.
Got some tap roots on the TC07246 s

Good luck on your grow, from one Marine to another. I spent 3 years in Lejeune, unfortunately the barracks don't allow for much pepper growing while I was there. Let me know if you need any seeds, I have a few extra varieties including some Carolina Reapers.

Back