• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Nick's First Ever Glog

NickP said:
Fell asleep without watering my seedlings last night. I think I lost all of my reapers except one and several other seedlings. I am not happy about this one. I will post pictures later after they get some water and see if they come back up. Fingers crossed!

I have a pot for all of the seedlings that I cull.  Every year I am surprised by how resilient they are.  I usually let them grow and get a pod or two out of it.  Long story short, they might surprise you if they haven't been dry too long.  

NickP said:

If not, maybe I can get somebody to send me a reaper seedling

As soon as they are strong enough to ship.   ;)  My seeds came from an Ebay plant I grew last year, so I can't guarantee strain purity.  Let me know and I will move them under the lights. 

My spare sprout tray.
IMG_04801_zpsmve98che.jpg

NickP said:
Who did you buy the plant from? And how did they grow out last year? Were they true to reaper form? If so, and if they were grown in isolation, it should grow true this year I would think?

http://www.ebay.com/usr/pier.man0909

I ordered two plants and they sent three healthy plants very quickly.
They grew true as far as I could tell, but I did not keep them isolated.  

IMG_4137_zpssnkuowyo.jpg

NickP said:
I got water on them ASAP. After about an hour and a half they still looked about the same, so I hope they are doing better when I get home today. If not, maybe I can get somebody to send me a reaper seedling
Did you take them out from under the lights for a bit after watering the wilted sprouts?

As for soil, I like to use a mix of Happy Frog:OceanForest::4:3.  I only use it for potting
up to Beverage cups and 2-liter containers, otherwise too expensive.   For plant out,
I use a 1:1:1::compost:soil:peat moss blend, although this year, I mulched  the planters
with a gob of ZooDo, and mixed up some ZooDoo:Organic Planting Mix::1:1 for filling
new containers.

For emergency use when I run out of the Fox Farms stuff, I use Black Gold planting mix.  
It's very light and holds moisture well, and has a little slow release fertilizer in it.

It's been more than a week since I transplanted my seedlings into solo cups. All of the plants look very alive still, but haven't really grown at all. I have read that it can take a couple of weeks for them to get the hang of the new soil and then they take off, but I want to get another opinion. Should my plants have grown in the last week? Is there a chance their growth is stunted? I am afraid my plants will be too far behind and I won't see many pods come August. I will post pictures later

They will stall out for a short period while building a strong root base, just be patient. If they start getting too "leggy" give them more light and maybe a little breeze from a fan. That will help them build a thicker trunk. Seems that your off to a good start!

About solo cups....... I'm a newbie and am ready to transplant into solo cups.  I notice some people use 2 cups .... one inside the other.... and some don't.  Is this for drainage?  Do you put holes in the bottom of the cups?  I'm sure it's super simple.... but what's the best way?
Thanks.

Charx said:
About solo cups....... I'm a newbie and am ready to transplant into solo cups.  I notice some people use 2 cups .... one inside the other.... and some don't.  Is this for drainage?  Do you put holes in the bottom of the cups?  I'm sure it's super simple.... but what's the best way?
Thanks.
Poke holes in the top cup. This way the bottom cup catches excess water without making a mess. I use this and many others do as well. Helps prevent over-watering. I recommend it

Back