• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

"The Non Browning GMO Apple is it safe?“ Dr Oz show

This is the topic title for today's Dr Oz Show
The description is the apple that does not turn brown.
I normally don't watch Dr Oz but my mom does so going to catch this episode today.
I am not for gmo's I have read both sides of the argument its debated a lot in the baker creek forum & elsewhere.
I personally could care less if a apple turns brown I will stick with non gmo's but that's my own choice.
P.S. sorry for the brain fart I should of put this in growing other .

While I think doctor and I use that term loosely!!! The guys a major scumbag!!!! What was the outcome plantguy76? :)

They had both sides come in and have a little debate each expressing there view point the guy for the company putting out the apple got more time than the other side in my opinion .
It really should of been a longer segment Dr Oz expressed his opinion that gmo's should be labeled so you know what your buying and a poll said most people would not knowingly buy them .

Not trying to start anything here, but most of the peppers grown by people on this thread are "GMOs" as they have been cross-bred somewhere along the lines

NickP said:
Not trying to start anything here, but most of the peppers grown by people on this thread are "GMOs" as they have been cross-bred somewhere along the lines

Cough, cough...hold on Shirley....we'll get to the bottom of this ........................care to elaborate?

You may have just turned my world upside down, actually I don't think so, but learned me..

Typically when people refer to GMOs they are referring to the product of Genetic Engineering when genes are altered using modern techniques to make plants possess desirable traits (resistance to chemicals, longer shelf life, higher yield, etc.) But cross breeding plants is also considered "genetic modification" because a person is taking a plant, changing its DNA, and then using selective breeding to create a whole new plant with traits that are desired. The Carolina Reaper is an excellent example of this kind of modification. Anyway, I'm only speaking of technicalities, and most people don't even consider cross-breeds to be GMOs so it really doesn't matter. Just my addition to the topic. I'm not personally against GMOs in the sense that you are referring to them either, I think they are really the only way we will ever keep up with the growing population on Earth, but that's something we can set aside and not bicker about here. Let's talk about peppers

I accept your description, but............Pepper A, crossed with Pepper B = Pepper C (f1). Both A and B were open pollinated, neither GMO modified, so how can Pepper C (f1) be GMO? Foregive my ignorance.

That's exactly the problem with GMOs and the whole argument. What constitutes a GMO? In nature these peppers would most likely never cross pollinate, so is a GMO a plant that is created in an unnatural way? I would say it is a GMO when you start selectively breeding the cross to end up with the traits you are looking for, but there isn't a solid definition for what a GMO really is, so most people just stick to plants modified genetically in a lab. I was just pointing out a silly technicality earlier

Back