• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Using beer in a sauce recipe?

Hey all!

So my friends birthday is coming up and I was hoping to make him a special batch of 'PBR hot sauce' for the occasion. I've made traditional and fermented batches already with great success...but I am wondering the safety/feasibility of making one that includes beer.

Any input is very much appreciated!

itcamefromthedirt said:
Hey all!

So my friends birthday is coming up and I was hoping to make him a special batch of 'PBR hot sauce' for the occasion. I've made traditional and fermented batches already with great success...but I am wondering the safety/feasibility of making one that includes beer.

Any input is very much appreciated!

if your really going to use a PBR, there's not going to be much of the beer that shines through. You need a good, strong, heavy flavored beer for the actual taste of the beer to have a chance to come through. I've made sauces with Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA and Southern Tier Iniquity and they came out awesome. I would try to stay to the darker beers too as they tend to do better.

The Hot Pepper said:
Beer works great in sauce. 
Beer works great not in sauce,too!

Here's the ratios I use for beer and sauces...

one for the sauce, one for me....
one for the sauce, two for me...
one for the sauce, three for me...

Sauce?  What Sauce???? I'm going to bed!

:lol:

Just kidding!!! (sort of~)

I agree with the previous posts,  include one PBR for sentimental value and another hefty beer for actual flavor.  There's no issues as far as food safety or anything with using beer in sauces.  If you have enough time before the b-day and equipment needed (a smoker), I think a smoked peppers and beer hot sauce would knock sox off.  Even some smoked jalapenos and a full bodied beer sounds like it would work well.

Welcome to THP!  Have Fun and Post Pics!!!!!  (we luuuv pics~~~~)   

salsalady

turbo said:
I always wondered what hops would do to a sauce.  A strong IPA would be a great way to test that idea
Straight off the vine hops?  not seeing that, but super-hoppy beers...yea~

When I use beer there's only one I trust
images-16.jpeg
Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!

Dude, your getting some great advice in here and I'm about to let the secret out about beer sauces out. Yes, by all means as the boss said, if PBR is your Bros favorite brew then include one or 2 in the original boil. Now PBR like most all American beers is a Pilsner and are low on the flavor scale. For actual flavor look for a really great Stout or Porter and don't just grab a Guinness, there are some really great brews out there now. I'd look at something like a Bells Porter or a Stone Smoker Porter or even an Innus & Gunn Irish Whiskey Or Rum barrel brew, your going to come out miles ahead of where you thought. Just be sure to add the "Good Brew" before the second simmer. , shhhhh! Oh and yes, I Have dry hopped a sauce with 2 ounces of Fuggles

Thank you guys so much for the great responses guys! Based on all I've read I'll be doing some PBR (symbolically) and something hopper to actually bring out a hoppy/beer flavor to the sauce. He's a big burrito fan…to the extent that he has a burrito tattoo'd on his calve...so I think smoked New Mexican red hatch would go a long way with him.

Will take some pictures of the process and let you all know how it goes!

That's Funny, SnF~  :lol:

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, icftd.  A smoked NM Hatch with beer sounds killer.

Back