smokers 250 Gallon Smoker Build Log in Spare Time

Just starting a new smoker build.
This build is going to take a long time to finish, but queequeg152 and TrueNorthReptiles said I had to post photos. :rofl:

Tank001s_zps31nuezsx.jpg

Leveled and ready to start working on it.

e5753e7f-3c7a-4deb-a702-07f9281c6a73_zpsda36hton.jpg

Cut out valve bungs

LUCKYDOG said:
I've heard this as well or fill with water. Huge tank though,  I would like to do something half that size in the future. I will follow (troll) this post for ideas!
Yeah that would be a lot of sand!

Yep, it was a 250 gallon propane tank. I had taken all of the fittings out several years ago and turned it upside down because LP is heavier than air. But even after several years, it still smelled like LP. So first, I filled it with water, drained it and then connected an air line @ 125psi for several hours to purge it out through the siphon tube. (And I prayed for a little while!) :pray:
Next I drilled a hole for a 2" galvanized pipe using a pneumatic drill in the bottom... Slooooowly and when the cutting oil would start to smoke, I would let it cool for a while!!!!
You only live once, and I've made it to be an old fart so far.. Barely..... :lol:
I would upload some cad files of what it is going to look like, but that might spoil the anticipation.... :whistle:

Cool!

You could nix that far chimney and reverse flow the close one. You don't need two and reverse flow would provide even smoke.

The reverse flow channel would also serve as a deflector from the box.

The Hot Pepper said:
Cool!

You could nix that far chimney and reverse flow the close one. You don't need two and reverse flow would provide even smoke.

The revers flow channel would also serve as a deflector from the box.

That's what I originally designed, but then decided to go a little different route.... With both stacks, I can close the stack furthermost from the fire box and run it as a RF with lots of smoke flavor. Or if I open both stacks, I will get less smoke and more radiated heat sort of like a grill... I built one like this with a friend last summer and it has been working pretty good in either mode... It isn't as good as a dedicated grill or dedicated RF, but I can get less than 10* difference from end to end with my thermometer at cooking level... It is sort of like a tuning plate smoker, if you made the plates fixed...

That makes sense! Looking forward to it. 

And didn't know you were going to reverse flow it, that's the ticket! Like you said you could run it to the close stack, or open it up to pull it, and close the far one down a bit, and tune it until you got even smoke, but not as intense.

Sounds like a good design man!
PS. Realizing just how big it is, you make good points! ;)

sicman said:
Dang dude that is going to be awesome. I want to see a pig on that sexy thang.

Thanks Jason!!!

Yeah, I butchered a couple of wild hogs and have them in the freezer. But it will be a while before this thing is ready to cook on. :(
My wife has a long list of projects for me and I need to get my pepper plants growing first. :lol:

The next step in this build is to layout the door and firebox openings, then cut them out.
Hopefully, that will happen in the next few weeks....

Back