• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

Stop me if you've seen this before, but is there a fishing thread? If so, I can't find it.

Decided to create a thread around this.

Post things like: what are you fishing for? what tackle you use, what boats you have or want, salt or fresh water or both, favorite fishing weather locations ect. big or small fish you caught. what you cooked with the fish you caught, fish that got away ect.

> begin.

I love largemouth bass fishing. Tackle really varies, but my go-tos are Rebel Pop-Rs, Bill Lewis Rat-L-Traps, various spinners and Carolina rigged Zoom watermelon seed salamanders. Various open faced reels, usually on light to medium action Ugly-Sticks with Spider Line or Spider Wire braided line. I love all types of fishing, though. It doesn't matter what kind, I am in!

On that note, here is a pic from when I was bass fishing back in Ohio. Somehow this little bluegill hooked himself on a spinner that was twice his size!

fishing.jpg

One that I always enjoyed doing was fishing for crawdads in a small stream we lived near. My wife was absolutely beside herself when I showed her you can catch a crawdad with nothing more than a splitshot on the end of your line dangled in front of them.

Bullfrogs with barehands and a flashlight.

belly_lailaalive-wordpress-com_zpse2296971.jpg

TrueNorthReptiles said:
I love largemouth bass fishing. Tackle really varies, but my go-tos are Rebel Pop-Rs, Bill Lewis Rat-L-Traps, various spinners and Carolina rigged Zoom watermelon seed salamanders. Various open faced reels, usually on light to medium action Ugly-Sticks with Spider Line or Spider Wire braided line. I love all types of fishing, though. It doesn't matter what kind, I am in!

On that note, here is a pic from when I was bass fishing back in Ohio. Somehow this little bluegill hooked himself on a spinner that was twice his size!

fishing.jpg
fly-fishing-clip-art1_zps802be9e2.gif

GoneFishin_zps2c4bb353.jpg

My biggest most exciting catch was a fat 83" White Sturgeon in the 200Lbs range. Caught using 65Lbs power pro line with a 7/0 dual hook cable sturgeon rig loaded with ghost and grass shrimps on a Quantum Cabo 70pts spinning reel. We were anchored about 30 yds from the Pumphouse in San Pablo Bay on a huge outgoing tide fishing out of a 16' aluminum dingy, that very nearly sank while trying to wrangle it. The fight was surprisingly short at about 20-25 minutes although it did manage to tail dance 5 or 6 times.
Not much in this world gets my blood pumpin' like hooking into a Mud Marlin! 

Oh, and no pic so you know its just another fishing fable.    "IT WAS THIS  BIG MAN, IM NOT KIDDIN'

It was oversized and most likely prego, released btw.

Rymerpt said:
Bullfrogs with barehands and a flashlight.

Unfortunately, I never saw the first bullfrog in Ohio. Eastern grey tree frogs were in abundance during the spring/summer. We left on vacation for two weeks once during the late spring and came home to our entire swimming pool being turned into an eastern grey tree frog nursery. Then we had a frog pond for a couple months because I couldn't kill the little guys. At least we got to use the pool for a few weeks at the end of the summer.

I once caught a cat fish so small it stuck out straight from the hook, no idea how it even got impaled. Was from the tip of my thumb to first knuckle. 

I've never caught anything overly fancy. Just the standard types of bass, bluegills, cats and what not. I don't eat fish so I enjoy ones that give a good fight like carp and redhorse.  Never caught a trout or salmon. I did catch a wiper once and that was a cool fish. I never even caught a walleye surprisingly. When we was fishing the st Joseph in Michigan I seen a gar and my uncle caught a Bowfin. That was a first for any of us

Cousins in Iowa had a frog jump every year in Morning sun Iowa near Burlington. We would visit and hunt frogs for the jump. Shine the lights in their eyes and it all over Kermit.

Other family in Illinois would have catfish fry that would lift you to the stars. YUM

D3monic said:
I once caught a cat fish so small it stuck out straight from the hook, no idea how it even got impaled. Was from the tip of my thumb to first knuckle. 

I've never caught anything overly fancy. Just the standard types of bass, bluegills, cats and what not. I don't eat fish so I enjoy ones that give a good fight like carp and redhorse.  Never caught a trout or salmon. I did catch a wiper once and that was a cool fish. I never even caught a walleye surprisingly. When we was fishing the st Joseph in Michigan I seen a gar and my uncle caught a Bowfin. That was a first for any of us

Is that a bowfin? It looks like one of those slimy Snakehead beast fish things.

Me and my dad used to go up into the snow melt mountain streams of Flagstaff AZ and catch crawdads by hand. We would put em in a bucket and then go warm back up in his pickup. We would break them open live and scoop out the meat. Ice cold and refreshing. 

hogleg said:

Is that a bowfin? It looks like one of those slimy Snakehead beast fish things.

That's what I thought at first so we left it on the bank while I googled. 

3lb Bass from a mud puddle

As I grew a bit older my fishing skills improved and my advisory tended to turn to Bass. Large Mouth Black Bass were being caught at the local Folsom lake by me and my friends as often as we could get our dads to haul us down to the lake for a visit. We decided it was our duty to bring some home and stock our neighborhood pond for our future fishing pleasure. We either did not have a size rule for Bass in those years or we were just ignorant of the rules. We brought home many many buckets . I’m sure had we known that we were not allowed to bring home little guys like that we would not have. Our ponds, as we thought of them as ours, were really coming together as good fishing spots after a couple years of stocking like this. My dad spent a good deal of time showing me about lures and swore that some of them actually caught fish. He liked the big floating plugs. I can remember the Jitterbugs, Lucky 13s, Repallas, and my dad’s favorite the orange Flatfish. Dad swore up and down that he used to just fish the orange Flat fish and catch sacks full of fish when he was a kid. My dad was sure to have my tackle box full of the lures that I needed. One morning back at the upper pond I was determined to make one of these big lures work for me. I was a bit green in my retrieval techniques, but was determined never the less. I had been told that the Bass often hug the shore in the morning. My first cast, if you can believe that, landed on the shore on the other side of the pond. I pulled hard and my lure dropped into the water about one foot from shore on the other side. No sooner had it hit the water then the whole area seemed to explode! I had dropped my lure right on the head of a big she Bass. She went nuts. She grabbed my lure and headed for deeper water. I thought I had a whale! After a fight that seemed to last an eternity I was face to face with Jillian the goddess of the deep. A 3lb Bass from a mud puddle.

I love shark fishing from the beach.  I just wish I didn't live 1000 miles from my favorite spot.  Haven't caught anything too big yet, but maybe someday.  Once I started fishing in the gulf in 2008, fishing in the lakes around me is pretty boring.  Sometimes go for some crappie/bluegill and catfish if looking for a meal, but usually just buy fish as don't really have the time for it or desire to clean them.

Here's one from a few years ago about 4 foot or so.

GP2012.07.19-20.03.28-2378059477-1936661_zps21gptrps.jpg

Heres my biggest about a 5 or 5 and a half footer.

GP2010.06.15-21.35.15-3356286480-1972987_zpskmzd6dss.jpg

This one is a little bigger than I will ever be able to handle, at least until my son gets a little bigger and can help more.  Got to see the guys next to me on the beach catch this.

GP2009.07.02-21.57.35-1140159414-1982427_zpsow1gov92.jpg

My dad caught a good size one (i'd say between 6-7') he was so proud of it he had it stuffed or well a model of it with the jaw and had it shipped back to IL. He has brackets on the back of the house and hangs it up there in the summer by the pool. 

Good on ya KeyKid, this thread is gonna be AWESOME! our own THP fishing tales and fish reports.  :liar:dance:  :liar:  

D3monic said:

japs eat the fins, I don't see why not. 

Shark taste funky to me. They taste like a 9volt battery, not the shock but that taste thats left after the shock. yucky!

Back