• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My 2nd attempt at sauce making...

So since my plants are suffering, i figure i should try and cheer myself up. I decided to make a new sauce with some things i had on hand.

I began by grinding one large chipotle andd about a dozen dried mixed habs, mostly chocolate habs. I made them into a fine powder. Next i pureed some pumpkin seeds, white peaches, pickled habs, and fresh figs (the figs in preparation for my fatalii fig for whenever i find both) with some honey, sea salt, kosher salt, and black pepper. I brought all of these to a pot with some apple cider vinegar and mixed them all up. I added a bottle of Harpoon UFO and mixed that in as well.

At first i was planning on calling this something like "White Heat" or something Velvent Undergroundish akin to that. I added the dried ingredients and the color changed so i'm leaving it open.

The mixture is now simmering on the stove. I want to reduce it quite a bit and than i'll sanitize a few bottles and give it a go.

Pics to come...:hell:

nearly 30 minutes on the stove now. it's not reducing much yet, but it will soon. I want it kinda thick. The flavor has changed already though. My girl says it smells good, but mostly vinegar. I want to change that by cooking it down some.

So, i have my choice. I can put it all in one mason jar, or a couple woozies, or i cleaned the hell out of some old vials that had oils and vinegars, kinda like test tubes. All will work. My evil side says to go buy some Grolsch to poke some fun at the "exploding grolsch" thread, but i'll stick to what i have on hand.

I am boiling my finished bottles. I made WAY more than i thought i had.
here's a near done pic...
IMG_0333.jpg

And here is the finished product!

I forgot to mention i also added in some cocoa powder to help with the color. I'm pleased with the outcome. I'll try some later tonight. We're going out on an old fashioned double date and I'm bringing both of my sauces with me to the local "On The Border". We'll see how my sauce stacks up against some tex-mex.

IMG_0339.jpg

And one for the road. This is how i will be shipping the lucky bottles that make their journey. There are only 6 "production" bottles consisting of 4 2.5oz vials and 2 5oz woozies. Also, i made 2 3/4oz sampler grenades, and one 2.5oz sampler vial (already given away).

IMG_0343-1.jpg

I must confess, i wish i added the bhut jolokia to this. It was BEGGING for it. I should have listened, but i chickened out. Surely the next time i will not be so afraid.

Gotta second all of that, looks great. Would sure love to try it, but at least it inspires me to create a new sauce as soon as I have plenty of ripe pods! Way to go!

So i guess i forgot to mention it, but here's the dilly. I clearly have 6 bottles. They were all bottled hot and boiled for quite a while filled. If there was any bacteria, it's most certainly taken care of. I heated the living crap out of these bad boys.

While they need some time to cure and let the flavors develop, i have reserved one bottle to donate to TheHotPepper. However, i do ask that it go to someone who lives and breathes hot sauce and can tell me what i may be doing wrong. Also, if i can submit to a particular person who may have the opportunity to share with other THP members to get many views, i'd be open to that.

any ideas?

fineexampl said:
And one for the road. This is how i will be shipping the lucky bottles that make their journey. There are only 6 "production" bottles consisting of 4 2.5oz vials and 2 5oz woozies. Also, i made 2 3/4oz sampler grenades, and one 2.5oz sampler vial (already given away).

IMG_0343-1.jpg

I must confess, i wish i added the bhut jolokia to this. It was BEGGING for it. I should have listened, but i chickened out. Surely the next time i will not be so afraid.

next time you make some please but my name down..the ingredients are interesting to say the least figs,cocoa powder wow must be really Hot/sweet? :)

talas said:
next time you make some please but my name down..the ingredients are interesting to say the least figs,cocoa powder wow must be really Hot/sweet? :)
I will have to get back to you. The pre-curing flavor wasn't much to speak of. I will crack a bottle this week and get back to it.

talas said:
fineexampl give me a p.m if you make anymore please buddy ;)
I have a couple available. If you'd like to help fund the next batch, you're welcome to one, make me an offer. The only caveat would be a mandatory review.

Sickmont said:
I just had an idea for the company name....

"A 'fine example' of a hot sauce...."

I think it would work.
I thought of that actually. FinExampl Sauces and than the flavors would be "Uvva (something)" like "FineExampl: Uvva Fruity Sauce" sort of thing.

imaguitargod said:
Looks great! I too like the idea of the test tubes. We've got Defcon with his medicine/lab bottles and now you with the test tubes....must be a Jersey thing...
Just a coincidence actually. I needed bottles and had these kickin around with old oil/vinegars. After a thorough cleaning, they were good as new.

Sickmont said:
Jealousy will get you nowhere, sir.
You could be right. People underestimate the drawing power and creativity level of the Garden State. ;)

talas said:
Now that would look damn fine..i think you would have hit there my friend ;)
I tend to agree. The bottles are about $5 each so that will no doubt affect my end cost. I'd really like to make Batch#3 available to THP.

Still have a bottle of #2 available. It will be in the "test tube" bottle/vial.

Back