• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Jalapeno Cracked

...from pepperlover. I don't think I've ever seen cotyledons this big. Weird. They're the right three and bottom two.
Haven't seen much about these here figured some would like to see the young plants. How is the fruit?

IMAG00042.jpg

Wow those look very nice. I got some seeds for those but for whatever reason I've had no luck with germination. Must have tried 10 seeds. Did you have any problems?

nzchili said:
I have some, they are nice and crunchy. Mine start cracking before they even turn red.

It's quite common for Jalapeno's to show corking. It happens before they start turning, some varieties more intensive then others. It also depends a lot on the growing conditions. Last year mine were less harsh then the year before and the pods had less corking because of it.

Some of my annuums do that as well. The "Jalapeno Cracked" is one of my favorites. While not hugely different from other varieties, I think they stay fresher longer and are big producers when happy.

Suezotiger said:
Wow those look very nice. I got some seeds for those but for whatever reason I've had no luck with germination. Must have tried 10 seeds. Did you have any problems?

They took a while to germinate, but I had the heat cranked up in my grow room, plus the heat mat. Soil temps were near 90 degrees. I dialed it down and they germinated. After that they caught up to the fataliis and habs which were going for two weeks. Other than that 100% rate.

Alright, thanks. Maybe I should try less heat then. My super hots seemed to like it but it might have been too much for the jalapenos

Back