• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What's this bonchi missing?

Hey guys,

So I had this hot paper lantern for over two years now.
I cut it down to the bare stem after the first season because of aphids and repotted it afterwards.
Turns out I may have inadvertently created a bonchi of some sort that really began to spring up under the lights again a few weeks ago.
But now the leaves are very light and the plant seems way more 'fragile' than last year.
The soil is a standard mixture with perlite and I fertilized it with some of those little 'fertilizer-sticks' and coffee grounds.
What deficiency could cause the light leaves? I thought it could be nitrogen, but the coffee grounds should have remedied that.
Any ideas?

KrakenPeppers said:
Magnesium sulphate

Magnesium deficiency presents itself from the bottom up. Obviously this is from the top down.

deficiency+chart.jpg

While I agree I see old and new upper and lower yellowing mixed with some more green foliage .. So I would give it a magnesium splash just to cover bases as its one thing you can't really hurt your plant with but it may help

Most likely its a pH issue. Iron deficiency usually is, that and/or cold temps.

I would add lime. You can add a cup of dolomite lime to a gallon of water (it wont all dissolve) and water once with that. If that doesnt work check your fert spike package to make sure they contain iron.

Always check pH first. Easiest to correct without adding something the plant may not need and then having too much of that, also a problem.

and it could just be end of life for the little guy. i just tossed a yellow 7 pod yesterday, started out looking like yours but as the weeks progressed more and more leaves would either drop or dry up. i have about 5 more that look the same, i keep hoping they will make to at least june so they can go into the greenhouse and make a possible recovery.

though peppers are perennial, i find many turn out to be more biennial and die after 2 years. if i remember correctly i only got 2 years out of my paper lanterns.

good luck with it and i hope it pulls through for another year of enjoyment!

OK, I gotta ask. what determines the difference between seeds acquired from 1 year old plants and 3 year old plants and how can you tell the difference?

Coffee grounds can be slightly acidic----all depends on how long they are brewed, fert sticks can burn if too many are used, and have uneven leaching of the fertilizer depending on water ph and quantity of water, or it could just be "done".

I have several semi-bonchi's---plants crammed into small containers and trimmed agressively---and I find they are extremely sensitive to ferts, being root bound on purpose.
I treat them as hydro, alternating watering a standard mix of hydro nutes and plain water, which they need every 2 or 3 days.

Out of interest, what light/dark photoperiod are you using?

My habaneros went a bit cholorotic when I had the light on 24/7. Just a thought. :)

Back