Hello everybody - from the UK

Hi everyone. It's so nice to be here. I got into growing chillies from a few years ago, from a single Bolivian Rainbow plant, to now, bit of an obsession.

I have two goals for this chilli growing hobby:
1. Make my own Chinese chilli oil
2. Breed a "nice" yellow chilli

Number one is simple. I love the stuff. The problems are, however, many: the takeaway shops never give enough with the orders, the oils are not sold in any quanties larger than those pesky tubs that leak. The recipe for these chilli oils seem to vary between different takeaway shops. Many look the part, but not all of them taste "right". I can only imagine that the recipe is some heavily guarded family secret, with or without some "secret ingredient" (LOL). I am now on a mission to grow my own chillies and make my own.

Number two is just a little dream of mine. I want it... bright yellow like a bell pepper, hot as a Naga, "subtle" like a Thai chilli, and none of that "sourness" which is so common in the average, everyday "hot sauce". As well as needing less sun and being able to ripen in my climate!

So, that's a little about me. My current line up includes some Congo Red Habaneros, a couple of Nagas, Fatalii Gourmet Jigsaw, Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion as well as a few others.

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida! :woohoo:

WOW! Such a "warm" welcome. Guess I should have known as this is The *HOT* Pepper forum! Great to meet you all.

tctenten said:
Welcome. I have used Lemon Drop peppers and Yellow Bhuts to make a sauce. Stayed nice and yellow.

Thanks for the tip! I have some peach Bhuts so they will be coming out to play at some point. I like their bumpy gnarliness.

moruga welder said:
i like the climate idea !      :onfire:

It will be a long process but I think, in time, this will become possible.

The botanists have their greenhouses, laboratories, lots of alphabets after their names and funding. I have... a balcony, tea and biscuits. Let's see how it goes :)

Calamari Kid said:
WOW! Such a "warm" welcome. Guess I should have known as this is The *HOT* Pepper forum! Great to meet you all.

Thanks for the tip! I have some peach Bhuts so they will be coming out to play at some point. I like their bumpy gnarliness.

It will be a long process but I think, in time, this will become possible.

The botanists have their greenhouses, laboratories, lots of alphabets after their names and funding. I have... a balcony, tea and biscuits. Let's see how it goes :)

go get em my friend !  don't need lots of money to achieve just the will and some   knowhow !         :onfire:

:welcome: to the THP forums from South Carolina, USA!! Best of luck with the oil and pepper strain adventures! Wish I had some clotted cream...(that's my dream right now..)

Hi I'm in UK. I just joined tonight! May I suggest Butch T yellow or the Cornish Naga? They are good for sauces and maintain that beautiful yellow colour too ;-)

Back