• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

turtle burgers ??

Easy to catch hard to eat!!!! :)
images-45.jpeg

I've had turtle a few times. Snapper pot pie, snapper soup, these little breaded fried thingies. My Grandfather in Michigan was a trapper by trade.  They always had some weird foods going on. When my dad was a kid they would trap lots of snapping turtles for the local restaurants. made a killing, I remember him saying they sold it for something like $7 a lb even back then. He also made money making fly rods and lures. 

The hispanic folks around here make turtle soup ...

Never had it, though ...

Most have no concept of the fertilizer and e. coli and fecal coliform in the water they are pulling them out of, but whatever ...

oh yeah ! snapper is good !  we have big ol' snappers in the creek and river next to the house , love the rib meat but lots of work to get out . we use to go turtle gaffing in the creeks , 1 cousin would walk up on the bank with a guinee sack , and 2 of us would walk in the creek poking down in the mud with iron poles and when you felt that hollowish sound that a rock won't make , reach down both sides down in the mud and throw them up on the bank ! crazy we were ! but thats how our DADS done it . R.I.P. POPS ! 

Back