• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Losing battle with aphids

I was very proud of my first season from seed last year. Unfortunately lack of over winter prep meant I lost almost my entire crop to aphids. I battled them all winter and lost. This year is proving to be a desaster as well. All my new plants are showing signs of infestation. They were started in close proximity to the few I'm trying to salvage from last year and even though I thought i had gotten rid of the little buggers, they just popped up again. My new plants, within days, became all deformed, spotted, dropped leaves and it is not looking good.

I use a mix of water, dish soap, alcohol and a product called Bio-Mist. It has worked in the past but not this time.

Can anyone give me a good reason why I should not just give up?

Delta

got the same situation. very difficult to find neem oil in my country. i use chemical pesticide against them.

Delta said:

Can anyone give me a good reason why I should not just give up?

IMG_0119_zps6d70ab57.jpg

IMG_0114_zpseb4c1a68.jpg

IMG_0121_zps6305cbf6.jpg

IMG_0123_zps8ba48a0f.jpg

Here are a couple of reasons. ^   :drooling:    Just keep 'em going a little longer, man! Do whatever you gotta do. Just get them out the door and hardened off and you're pretty much home free!

Thank you all! Very nice haul there Hybrid.

I guess my grow room is infested so I'll do what I can until i can get them outside. Then I'll clean the room down completely and not make the same mistakes next year.

Neem oil is really hard to find in my provence. I'll try online. Any suggestion as to where and what format?

Also, this question: if the leaves are badly deformed and dropping on plants that are barely 6 leaves old, will they pull through? Assuming I can get the aphids at least under control. (they are more into latching on to the stems than the leaves)

Thank you all again.

Delta

Delta said:

Also, this question: if the leaves are badly deformed and dropping on plants that are barely 6 leaves old, will they pull through? 

Do what you can to minimize stress while the battle rages and there's a good chance they'll make it. As long as the roots are healthy, they contain enough energy to start flushing another set of leaves.
     Just remember not to overwater your defoliated plants. Less leaf surface area = less thirst.

Delta said:
Very nice haul there Hybrid.

Thanks! Keep in mind those pods were grown on plants that made it through the aphidpocalypse of 2014. They were not happy seedlings. Tough, yes. Happy? lol Nooooo...

edit: One more thing. Maybe try some insecticidal soap instead of dish soap. It does the same thing to the aphids, but since it's biodegradable, you can use more of it without worrying about it building up in your soil.    
     Also, I've learned to take it easy when waging war on indoor seedling pests. Think of it this way - you already have a serious infestation, so complete eradication is really unlikely right now. Just try to knock down the pest population enough to allow your plants to survive. Going thermonuclearfullretard on their asses right now (I know how tempting that is…) is not necessary. Just keep them healthy so they can make it outside.

Not sure how many plants you have but if it is possible SQUISH! It is gross at first but becomes satisfying. Especially after a hard day at work. Also, the dead bodies seem to discourage the live ones.

Dude..... order aphids  (typo lol)  ladybugs* online and setup a camping tent... place peppers in the tent with the ladybugs for 3 days (in the shade) and mist the plants/ladybugs with water occasionally.  It works like a charm... I had a horrible problem with aphids last spring and this was the final soultion:
IMG_8208.JPG
IMG_8209.JPG
IMG_8210.JPG

Noah Yates said:
Dude..... order aphids  (typo lol)  ladybugs* online and setup a camping tent... place peppers in the tent with the ladybugs for 3 days (in the shade) and mist the plants/ladybugs with water occasionally.  It works like a charm... I had a horrible problem with aphids last spring and this was the final soultion:

extreme gardening...order aphids and ladybugs and let them fight it out in a tent on top your plants!

queequeg152 said:
dem chemicals yo.

they solve all problems.

They sure as hell did for me this year. Notice how "aphidpocalypse 2015" wasn't mentioned.  :D
     The "chemical option" is always there, if used responsibly. You know, not spraying millions of gallons of it on millions of square miles of farmland parked directly on top of billions of gallons of groundwater.
     Just a few teaspoons here in there - in the more disgusting hives of aphid scum and villainy (some of my "grosser" overwinters). I haven't needed to treat ONE seedling this year for aphids. I I figure a few ounces of imidacloprid granules saved me a WHOLE lotta soap, oils, permethrin, neem, garlic and witchdoctery and horsecockery. 
     I own my decision. Bring it.   ;)   :cheers:

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Do whatever you gotta do. Just get them out the door and hardened off and you're pretty much home free!

ColdSmoke said:
extreme gardening...order aphids and ladybugs and let them fight it out in a tent on top your plants!
Kind of a Mad Max beyond Thunderdome thing...

Ladybugs are awesome! Especially if they lay eggs. They decimate the aphids and the following aphid population that comes from eggs. Noah's idea is pretty good one too. Most people have trouble keeping the ladybugs around long enough to do the job. the tent takes care of that.

Neil

Back