• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pro mix - anyone else use it?

little known fact, but promix has been around longer than about 80% of the earths top soil.

those fatallis yield like habs, productive little monsters.

what were you fertilizing with?

I have been unable to find pro-mix in any of my local garden centers. They have happy frog, but would be pretty expensive to fill 20 10 gallon root pouches.

tctenten said:
Quick question. I had planned to do a 1/3 peat, 1/3perlite, 1/3 mushroom compost mix for 20 10 gallon root pouches(this will be my first time making a mix) any cons to using the compost as opposed to your 50/50 mix?
its not my mix at all.

its a very very old approach going back to the late 70's or early 80's i think. just want to make that clear.

the downside is less pore space for air.
the upside is far less watering.

50/50 coco or peat lite is very very very light weight. air is able to diffuse throughout the mix very easily, hence the good performance you get with it.

its not for everyone... you need to add fertilizer, or fertigate like i do.  it will dry out very quickly, in less than a day... you NEED an irrigation system. 

i think HP promix is like 33/66, so it should be reletivly close to what you are proposing to make. mushroom compost is not going to hold the same amount of water though, so it will not perform the same.

you need a surfactant imo. idk if you read that part yet, but without one the mix is very difficult to wet and rewet.

HD has it. That's where I got mine. Mine is the HP.

MorugaWelder,
Combination of fish emultion (half strength), Vigaro (like MG) half strength once per month.
We get temps here in So. Cal of 102-115 in the summer so I shield my containers with plywood to help keep the soil cool.

I hear you can make your own like some have linked to.
Never tried it.

Dave

I've used the Promix HP version before. The results were about the same as all the other container soils I've used. I've since switched to coco. Just fits my situation better.

Neil

Back