• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone use bat guano?

I have a close supply of it in moderate amounts.  Probably about 6cu yds or so free for the shoveling.  This is raw guano in an old mine shaft from 50 years of mexican freetails.  Currently use composted chicken manure, would I get any benefit with the bat guano?

Nuclieye said:

Bagging their poop while they are on vacation in southern Mexico will not harm their mine shaft much.  :rolleyes:

That is not how they harvest guano LOL. Maybe not roll your eyes at someone if you are unfamiliar with the topic. There's a high likelihood that I am misunderstanding your comment admittedly so. 

ColdSmoke said:

That is not how they harvest guano LOL. Maybe not roll your eyes at someone if you are unfamiliar with the topic. There's a high likelihood that I am misunderstanding your comment admittedly so. 

True and I understand the bad sides of mining guano.  I have spent 21 years doing cave and abandoned mine rescues.  Several trips to help with research in the Grand Canyon bat cave where guano was mined until the jet cut the tram line cable.  This is an old mine shaft that nature is quickly reclaiming yet still a nursery site for the freetails.  They will return in another month so if the guano is worth scooping up I thought I may.  LOL 

I love bat guano.  I swear by it.  It's not cheap so if you can get it for free then do it.

There's a reason why small island nations make their national fortunes mining it.

You don't need to use much of it, put about 2 tablespoons (dry!) in a soil blend for about a 3-5 gallon pot when you're mixing.

Never saw raw guano here (and probabl not many chances to see in the future), but I am using a liquid fert they say is made with guano. I think is not just a placebo or my imagination, but it looks the peppers and tomatoes like it much. My wife started to use it to some flowers, she asked me to buy more :)

Helvete said:
I love bat guano.  I swear by it.  It's not cheap so if you can get it for free then do it.

You don't need to use much of it, put about 2 tablespoons (dry!) in a soil blend for about a 3-5 gallon pot when you're mixing.

That sounds about right.  A tablespoon or two of fresh (dry pellets) 'Mexican' bat poop as a top dressing works wonders.

Different bat guanos supply  different nutrients.  For example, the diet of fruit bats is vastly different from carnivorous bats, resulting in a very different nutrient load.
I say this because even though they are absolutely fantastic organic amendments, they are also some of the most nutritionally unbalanced manures, and I've yet to see one that's as complete of a fertilizer as, say, rabbit manure.  In fact, some of the guanos are almost pure phosphorous.  Guanos are best used as components of a more comprehensive organic top dressing.

I use Peruvian Seabird Guano which is 12-10-3... the collection of bat guano is controversial as you disturb the bats' ecosystem and they often don't return to caves that are collected in unless you are careful... I'm not sure how responsible collection works but you may want to look into it. :)

The Hot Pepper said:
I use Peruvian Seabird Guano which is 12-10-3... the collection of bat guano is controversial as you disturb the bats' ecosystem and they often don't return to caves that are collected in unless you are careful... I'm not sure how responsible collection works but you may want to look into it. :)

Here in Tucson there are bazillions of Mexican Free-Tailed Bats that spend the summer living beneath the city's bridges. You just sweep if off the ground.  If the bats are set up in caves, it's easy enough to wait until they head south for the winter before entering.

These guys eat bugs and produce a more NPK balanced poop than their vegetarian brothers.  I suspect the stuff works so well because of all the minerals and god-knows-what contained in each morsel.

Back