• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Aphids:( (update:4 The lacewings won the battle)

Hi guys!

I've been having a problem with aphids. And I really hate them from the bottom of my heart. I've tried smashing them with my fingers, soap/water mix and bayer pyrsol, but nothing seems to work:(

So i decided to buy me some golden eyed lacewing larvae:)

Before the release

DYJ2OOs.jpg

After a few minutes.

fgSHaVq.jpg

my new friend:)

JqW5bzU.jpg

Wow awesome photos.
I had a bad infestation in the garden last year. Lady bugs went through it and killed them all in about a day and all took off. Pretty amazing.

Reactions: Van
I wish lady bugs were the go to solution for me! Alas I have had very little success with them. I've tried twice. Purchased thousands. Followed the directions to a T. Just can't get them to stay. This grow season I'm going to explore other options such as those lacewing. If that fails then I will probably resort to a spray.

Hope you update with your progress with those lacewings :)

Spicy Mushroom said:
I wish lady bugs were the go to solution for me! Alas I have had very little success with them. I've tried twice. Purchased thousands. Followed the directions to a T. Just can't get them to stay. This grow season I'm going to explore other options such as those lacewing. If that fails then I will probably resort to a spray.

Hope you update with your progress with those lacewings :)

The first update!

It's been 4days since i released the beasts.

The aphids is still in control, there is a serious aphid infenstation on right side. The lacewings are doing their best, but there is so many aphids.

The lacewings have grown from about 3-4mm to around 9-10 in just 4 days. And i can see them during the day aswell even though they are nocturnal.

Overview

Y5uC7BF.jpg

Resting lacewing

eekJUSC.jpg

Another lacewing

ZAK18qK.jpg

Dinner for two, in the aphid basecamp

U5glIzA.jpg

For outdoor aphid infestations, I've found that planting marigolds among my peppers works really well. The habitat they provide maintains a natural population of ladybugs lacewings and hoverflies. Marigold seeds are way cheaper than ladybugs, plus the predators stay there all season long.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     For outdoor aphid infestations, I've found that planting marigolds among my peppers works really well. The habitat they provide maintains a natural population of ladybugs lacewings and hoverflies. Marigold seeds are way cheaper than ladybugs, plus the predators stay there all season long.

Sounds good, perhaps i should try to grow some of those at my balcony. All of my hot peppers are grown indoors, but i'm going to grow tomatoes outside.

Update 3: seven days since the release.

Most of the lacewings are around 10mm long, takes them about 3 min to eat a full grown aphid. I can see a significant decrease of the aphids population. Its even hard to find aphids now. I can see lots of eaten aphids.

928L33s.jpg

bHL6JN2.jpg

Seems like the lacewing has done quite a good job. I were hoping that the lacewings would stay in my grow box and mature, then lay some eggs so that i could have a little population of lacewings FOREVER. 
I fear that there isn't enough aphids now so that the lacewings will start eating each other :(

Newril,

I also grow on a balcony in DC, USA. Have a huge problem with aphids. As tiresome as it sounds, I have had best results with squishing. I think there is something about rhe dead ones that repel the others. And draw ladybugs.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
I second this!
Alynne said:
Newril,

I also grow on a balcony in DC, USA. Have a huge problem with aphids. As tiresome as it sounds, I have had best results with squishing. I think there is something about rhe dead ones that repel the others. And draw ladybugs.
I just read that emit an odor to warn their families

Not to rain on your parade, but it may not be as over as it appears. The lacewing larvae have fed for better that a week now. they will pupate and hatch into lacewing adults. If they stay in the grow area, they will mate and lay additional eggs (If you are lucky). If not, they will fly off.

What you need to do now is be vigilant and keep a close watch on your grow. If only one aphid was missed, (Just one) you will be back to where you were just over a week ago in a very short time.

Trust me on this, I know

Alynne said:
Newril,

They do. Apparently like most insects, they contain a  'Danger' chemical is released upon their death, that they normally use to communicate with each other to warn of predators. The smeared guts is going to attract predators.

CAPCOM said:
Not to rain on your parade, but it may not be as over as it appears. The lacewing larvae have fed for better that a week now. they will pupate and hatch into lacewing adults. If they stay in the grow area, they will mate and lay additional eggs (If you are lucky). If not, they will fly off.

What you need to do now is be vigilant and keep a close watch on your grow. If only one aphid was missed, (Just one) you will be back to where you were just over a week ago in a very short time.

Trust me on this, I know

Yep, I'm prepared for the return of the aphids. I've noticed that they can reapper very quickly. Since I've tried washing away the aphids before i bought the lacewings.

My plan was to try to make some of the adults to stay and lay eggs. But they won't stay if there isn't enough food.  In a way i would like to have some aphids so that the lacewings wants to stay:)

Thanks for the tip, will keep crushing all the aphids that I see, so that they can feel the smell of death :hell:

Will keep posting in this thread when the aphids return.

Alynne said:
Newril,
Also can make a bad day better by naming them after coworkers, clients and family then squishing.

newril said:

My plan was to try to make some of the adults to stay and lay eggs. But they won't stay if there isn't enough food.  In a way i would like to have some aphids so that the lacewings wants to stay:)

That's where the marigolds (and other continuously blooming flowers) come in handy. Lacewings eat nectar and pollen to supplement their insect diet. If you mix attractive plants in with your peppers, the lacewings will hang out on them and patrol the area for aphid outbreaks. 
     Maybe you could grow some marigolds in 1 gallon containers on the balcony and just move them indoors near your peppers periodically. That way you don't have to dedicate valuable indoor real estate to growing them full time.

Back