• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Taco Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Taco Throwdown!

Any kind of taco. Hard shell*, corn, flour, puffy. Meat, fish, veg. Mexican, Korean, any fusion, as long as it is a taco. You are welcome to make your own tortillas (or fusion bread as a tortilla). You may also use packaged. You know how voters like homemade breads and tortillas!

*If you make hard shell tacos you must turn them into hard shells yourself. No packaged hard shells. Start with soft corn packaged or homemade.

Presentation is at least 2 tacos, max 3, on a plate with no more than 2 sides; rice and beans, salad and elote, unique sides, sides that fit your fusion, whatever!

All tacos can be the same, or you may make up to 3 different tacos.

These must be in the traditional taco shape, but the rest it up to you.

READ: The 5 Rules for an eligible entry
PoL: .75
4 final pics max. Choose wisely. Sometimes cooking pics are winners.
ENDS SUNDAY 10:00 PM EDT

BEGIN!

Well I won't waste any time throwing down some pics. 

Toasted some cumin seeds and coriander.

Used my coffee grinder that still had a ton of reaper x moruga powder in it to grind it up to a powder. 

Making some marinade

Juiced two oranges, a lime, white wine vinegar, garlic, some oregano and what used to be anchiote paste but more like a brick now.
Simmered in a pan to get the the "paste" to dissolve.

Worked marinade and toasted cumin/coriander into my 6.5lb pork loin real good. Could of used more anchiote but there's some color there. 

Nice big slab of pineapple ontop and wrapped in plastic. Placed in fridge until tomorrow morning then it's going into the smoker. 

D3monic said:
Well I won't waste any time throwing down some pics. 

Toasted some cumin seeds and coriander.

Used my coffee grinder that still had a ton of reaper x moruga powder in it to grind it up to a powder. 

Making some marinade

Juiced two oranges, a lime, white wine vinegar, garlic, some oregano and what used to be anchiote paste but more like a brick now.
Simmered in a pan to get the the "paste" to dissolve.

Worked marinade and toasted cumin/coriander into my 6.5lb pork loin real good. Could of used more anchiote but there's some color there. 

Nice big slab of pineapple ontop and wrapped in plastic. Placed in fridge until tomorrow morning then it's going into the smoker. 

Have you ever done that with pineapple before? I did it about 7 years ago with a really nice ham for Thanksgiving and by the time I went to cook it the pineapple had more or less eaten and ruined the ham. Luckily I had two. :) 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Have you ever done that with pineapple before? I did it about 7 years ago with a really nice ham for Thanksgiving and by the time I went to cook it the pineapple had more or less eaten and ruined the ham. Luckily I had two. :)

Either he just saved your pork….or he is trying to get into your head!!!

Al pastor marinates with layers or pork, sauce, pineapple, pork, sauce, pineapple... on the trompo.

JHP messin' with ya or messed up! :lol:

The Hot Pepper said:
Al pastor marinates with layers or pork, sauce, pineapple, pork, sauce, pineapple... on the trompo.

JHP messin' with ya or messed up! :lol:
Actually I know that very well however for some reason the combination of pineapple and habanero ate my pork like it was a zombie devouring brains. :)

I think I left it on too long, next time I'll grill the pineapple first when using fresh to stop that damn enzyme 

Agreed you have to be careful with citric acid and meat. Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) neutralizes citric acid, so you can add a teaspoon or two to your marinade and you are safe.

This is good to know, After pics I flipped the meat and placed the pineapple on the fat side. Hopefully it doesn't affect it while marinading. Once it's in the smoker the pineapple should dry out. I got some more pics incoming. Pre-prepping some of the Taco Toppings. Making several different kinds. Invited my old man over for dinner tomorrow night. Hope to not disappoint. I had some of the pineapple with the kids and it wasn't as overly acidic as others I've had in the past. Was really sweet. 

JHP thinks it was the bromelain, the enzyme that works as the tenderizer, but it is probably the combo of that, the acid, and overdoing it. Just be careful and you're good to go!

Well you guys got me all worried now, i'm going to put a layer of plastic between the two and slap it back on during smoking tomorrow. 

The Hot Pepper said:
Well the pics have magically improved. That looks like some JHP sheeeez.

I broke out my canon t2i for this :P

Lighting in my house sucks, it's all yellow. I try and utilize sunlight as much as possible. I used to have a nice LED ring light but lost it in the move. 

Better safe than sorry, it will be doing just as much as it cooks and the juices run down. Put a salt layer between the two just before smoking it will draw the juices out and help the meat absorb. ;)

D3monic said:
I broke out my canon t2i for this :P

Lighting in my house sucks, it's all yellow. I try and utilize sunlight as much as possible. I used to have a nice LED ring light but lost it in the move. 

That explains it. Nice.
Good lookin' out JHP!!!

IMG_4849.JPG

Gotta get this done tomorrow with sunday being Easter.  

IMG_4856.JPG

Slaw is done and chillin' overnight

IMG_4860.JPG

chutney just about done.

That is it for tonight.  The wife and daughter are just about home from their day in NYC, and they want to go  grab some dinner.

Looking good tctenten!

Pre-prepped some of my taco toppings. 

Pickled red onions

Blanched half a red onion for 20 seconds

Tossed in a bowl with juice of two oranges, a limes juice, thin sliced serrano, half tsp of sugar and half a tbsp sea salt. Covered and refrigerated 

Pineapple and Mango salsa

1cup of Pinapple chopped
1 mango chopped
1/2 cup cilantro (aka soap weed)
1/2 of a red onion chopped
juice of 2 limes
2 serranos chopped
1 habanero chopped
seasalt to taste

Tomatillo-Avocado salsa

7 tomatillos husked , washed and quartered
3 serranos deseeded
1 habanero 
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 cup white onion
1 avocado
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs minced garlic
Lime juice to taste
sea salt to taste

Toss tomatillos, peppers, garlic , onion and cilantro into food processor. Mix until course puree

Mix in avocado , lime juice, olive oil and sea salt

Guacamole

3 avocados
1/2 a white onion
1/4 cup cilantro
1 fire roasted pablano
1/3 cup jared sala
fat spoonful minced garlic
juice of 2 limes
sea salt to taste

D3monic said:
Looking good tctenten!

Pre-prepped some of my taco toppings. 

Pickled red onions

Blanched half a red onion for 20 seconds

Tossed in a bowl with juice of two oranges, a limes juice, thin sliced serrano, half tsp of sugar and half a tbsp sea salt. Covered and refrigerated 

Pineapple and Mango salsa

1cup of Pinapple chopped
1 mango chopped
1/2 cup cilantro (aka soap weed)
1/2 of a red onion chopped
juice of 2 limes
2 serranos chopped
1 habanero chopped
seasalt to taste

Tomatillo-Avocado salsa

7 tomatillos husked , washed and quartered
3 serranos deseeded
1 habanero 
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 cup white onion
1 avocado
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs minced garlic
Lime juice to taste
sea salt to taste

Toss tomatillos, peppers, garlic , onion and cilantro into food processor. Mix until course puree

Mix in avocado , lime juice, olive oil and sea salt

Guacamole

3 avocados
1/2 a white onion
1/4 cup cilantro
1 fire roasted pablano
1/3 cup jared sala
fat spoonful minced garlic
juice of 2 limes
sea salt to taste

complements complements complements... Seriously looking good

JoynersHotPeppers said:

Pineapple and papaya both have that enzyme and its merciless to most pork products.  Had the same thing happen to some ribs I was trying to do 'island style'

Nice looking beginnings D3 and tctenten!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back