• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Wendy's ghost pepper fries

I tried those yesterday. They sucked for heat, bad. If those had any ghost pepper in that sauce at all, it was only a dab, just so they could give it the name. Ghost peppers should be insulted! You are right on the taste. I was trying to figure exactly what it was. They did have jalapeño shavings on top, so I was thinking that is what I was tasting, but you are right, it did taste like green peppers. For a couple of bucks, it was a nice little container of cheese fries, but it was an insult to any heat seeker. I felt like offering them some bhut powder for customers that are obviously disappointed, but I realize it is just a chain and they can't buck the home base, AND, they are so afraid of burning up some old person that would sue them or something. As Moruga said, luckily I had my Primo powder in my pocket, and I was all set. I also, never go to a restaurant without it, that is, unless I go to a BBQ place, then I bring my smoked ghost powder.

sicman said:
There is two threads actually. This makes 3. Ill sum it up for you. Everyone said,"Im a chili head so its not hot and Im a chef so I dont eat fast food. Think joyners even said,"Ill take my powder down there and really liht them up."
Nice summation!

I just received some nifty dried scorpion peppers from Drew1226 -- and some even more richly-flavored (and hotter) Reaper powder. I'm trying to imagine what kind of Dane-esque scenario a "Wendy's" kitchen would be if actual ghost peppers were tossed into a deep-fryer along with the spuds and chicken parts.
Yestereday, lifting the lid of a pot... to sniff the aroma... of something that i'd spiced a few minutes earlier -- whuff-!

...Not a pretty picture. I don't think i'll order any fast food that misuses the phrase "ghost pepper" this week. If i cry over lunch, let it be for reasons other than disappointment!

I'm not much of a chef, but, Sicman, you nailed it!

sicman said: " Think joyners even said,"Ill take my powder down there and really liht them up."

You know the stuff at pizza joints that folk call birdseed?  I think it is a ground up mild cayenne, not sure.  Have often thought about replacing it with something else.  Anything red will do.  Sure ghost on up would turn a few heads.

Dammit, this is frustrating... it's about 10pm, the nearest fast-food outlet is 15km (about 10 miles) away, and my sole transportation is a bike... tomorrow, when i go to town, i must order some fries, and bring my Reaper dust, so i can sprinkle some on the aforementioned fries... it's the only way i can deal with this conversation...!!

I had the Ghost Pepper fries and the Jalapeno Fresco Spicy Chicken sandwich. They use the same peppers and sauce for both. The peppers are mild Jalapenos. Glopping that sauce and peppers on the fries is a mistake. For fast food, their fries are best and putting that sauce on them is not a good thing. However, putting that sauce on the Chicken is not bad. I would buy the Chicken sandwich again if I find myself at a Wendy's. Pass on the fries. Nothing Ghost-ish about it.

Does it honestly surprise you guys that a fast food chain that advertises using ghost peppers doesn't deliver on the heat it promises? I'm sure if someone does a little research they'll find some kind of policy or regulation fast food chains follow as to how spicy they can make their food to avoid possible lawsuits from patrons who couldn't handle the heat.

I went to lunch with a co-worker yesterday at Wendy's.

He had the new chicken sandwich. (I had had the old faithful Baconator; can't go wrong there).

Anyway, he ate about two bites and threw it away, saying it was absolutely awful.

This from a guy who (seriously) can literally drink ghost pepper hot sauce, no lie! I gave him some sauce two years ago I made from ghost peppers and red Moruga Scorpions, and he said it was "OK, not bad". That stuff was hot, believe me.

tried them yesterday , the lady told me their hot , i said from what i'm hearing no more than jalapeño . she argued said its a puree . i told her if it was real most of the people wouldn't be able to handle it . of course this chick knew it all so out came my pepper dirt !  challenged her to try some . had a little chocolate scorpion , and reaper ( never leave home without some powder )    dared her to try a little since this so called ghost was the hottest . she declined !  the wife kinda chuckled  , i said thought so .  not only were the fries not hot but the flavor sucked ! good thing i got the baconator !   

mikeg said:
Dammit, this is frustrating... it's about 10pm, the nearest fast-food outlet is 15km (about 10 miles) away, and my sole transportation is a bike... tomorrow, when i go to town, i must order some fries, and bring my Reaper dust, so i can sprinkle some on the aforementioned fries... it's the only way i can deal with this conversation...!!
Tried the Reaper dust (very sparingly), and lo-o-o-oved it! They've got good fries, so i wasn't casting pearls before a swine.... one fry received a bit more magic dust than the rest -- i think i must have had a very funny expression on my face, for just a moment or two!!

moruga welder said:
tried them yesterday , the lady told me their hot , i said from what i'm hearing no more than jalapeño . she argued said its a puree . i told her if it was real most of the people wouldn't be able to handle it . of course this chick knew it all so out came my pepper dirt !  challenged her to try some . had a little chocolate scorpion , and reaper ( never leave home without some powder )    dared her to try a little since this so called ghost was the hottest . she declined !  the wife kinda chuckled  , i said thought so .  not only were the fries not hot but the flavor sucked ! good thing i got the baconator !
i don't think those folk at the front counter have any idea of what 'hot' or 'ghost' pepper means. I showed the staff my "stash" jar of powder. Two sniffed carefully at it. One visibly flinched away, the other got a thoughtful look on her face and said she'd Google it when she got home.
I made my order take-out. I think they were a bit weirded out when i told them i use it as medicine. When i told them it was "good for pain" (...'management'... i shoulda said 'pain management'... or 'relief', or something...), they had a look on their faces like i was a dirty old man who was heavily into BDSM.

I love peppers... their taste, the health benefits... but they can be awkward socially! The thoughtful curiousity on the part of the one person made it kinda worth it. I'd love it if people like her became THP members.

mikeg said:
Tried the Reaper dust (very sparingly), and lo-o-o-oved it! They've got good fries, so i wasn't casting pearls before a swine.... one fry received a bit more magic dust than the rest -- i think i must have had a very funny expression on my face, for just a moment or two!!

i don't think those folk at the front counter have any idea of what 'hot' or 'ghost' pepper means. I showed the staff my stash my "stash" jar of powder. Two sniffed carefully at it. One visibly flinched away, the other got a thoughtful look on her face and said she'd Google it when she got home.
I made my order take-out. I think they were a bit weirded out when i told them i use it as medicine. When i told them it was "good for pain" (...'management'... i shoulda said 'pain management'... or 'relief', or something...), they had a look on their faces like i was a dirty old man who was heavily into BDSM.

I love peppers... their taste, the health benefits... but they can be awkward socially!
kinda got that reaction with one of them , one was intrigued thought that ghost on there was the real deal and the hottest pepper . till i pulled out me stash ! the chic kinda wanted a taste but not knowing me backed off . and i think another thought i was a weirdo ! lmao !   
ajdrew said:
Just read about it.  Have not tried.  Has anyone given them a shot?
dont ! junk !      :onfire:

Ha! My inner adolescent twit kept clamoring at me to stay at the Wendy's outlet, sprinkle the fries with exagerrated anticipation and a pronounced operatic leer, then snarf them up like a starved beast, giving the occasional sinister wink whenever someone looked my way....

....Good thing i didn't... that one fry that received more Reaper dust than the rest would've given me that goggle-eyed look -- and probably a comically loud hiccup. It would've spoiled the whole performance. Pepper-induced hiccups, for me, always sound a bit like a yelping puppy. No dignity. None.

After all, i might want to go back there. Once properly dusted, those fries are manna!

moruga welder said:
kinda got that reaction with one of them , one was intrigued thought that ghost on there was the real deal and the hottest pepper . till i pulled out me stash ! the chic kinda wanted a taste but not knowing me backed off . and i think another thought i was a weirdo ! lmao !   
dont ! junk !      :onfire:
C'MON YOU ARE A WEIRDO!!!! :) Aren't we all a little weird!!! Hehe

mikeg said:
Ha! My inner adolescent twit kept clamoring at me to stay at the Wendy's outlet, sprinkle the fries with exagerrated anticipation and a pronounced operatic leer, then snarf them up like a starved beast, giving the occasional sinister wink whenever someone looked my way....

....Good thing i didn't... that one fry that received more Reaper dust than the rest would've given me that goggle-eyed look -- and probably a comically loud hiccup. It would've spoiled the whole performance. Pepper-induced hiccups, for me, always sound a bit like a yelping puppy. No dignity. None.

After all, i might want to go back there. Once properly dusted, those fries are manna!
get em killer !  lol
oldsalty said:
C'MON YOU ARE A WEIRDO!!!! :) Aren't we all a little weird!!! Hehe
i suppose so in a good way tho ! lol

Personally, I like the sandwich and the fries. The "ghost pepper" sauce has ZERO heat, though. The only spiciness comes from the fresh jalepeños. I tried the sauce by itself and it has no Bhut flavor (which is distinctive and hard to miss) and absolutely no heat.

It's clear to me that Wendy's just used the "ghost pepper" terminology for marketing and that the sauce contains no Bhut Jolokia. I suppose it could contain up to a few micrograms of Bhut but not more than that.

I'm not really disappointed because:

1. The sandwich and the fries are spicy and delicious regardless of their deceptive marketing

and

2. Can you imagine if a fast food place made a sandwich with ACTUAL Bhut sauce (loaded with Bhuts, baby)? Sure, we'd all love it because we're chiliheads but I doubt they would sell very many. Plus, almost anyone who ordered it would want their money back. Furthermore, do we really want little kids sinking their teeth into superhots sauce? Sure, it seems funny in theory, I guess.

Back