• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

** Easter Topic ** Whats the best Chocolate Pepper.. Heat, Flavour, Looks..

Time to get your CHOCOLATE on!!!!

Simple, list your top three chocolate Peppers...

First is for HEAT!

Second for FLAVOUR!

Third for LOOKS!

And of course feel free to talk about these most awesome of peppers !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brazilian Ghostpepper

Chocolate Scotch Bonnet

Big Black Mama

I've had just about every super hot chocolate pepper there is.
For heat, no doubt, Bhutlahs! The ones I tried were 20%+ hotter than the reapers. My Primos taste about 10% hotter than reapers, but the Bhutlahs totally blew away either of these.
Taste, it is hard to beat the Douglah. It just has a complex, smokey, nutty taste that is so different than any pepper I have tried, it is hard to beat. Chocolate scorpions,habaneros, lavas, they all fall flat in taste compared to the good old Douglah.
Looks, none of them impress me, I guess, but I'd probably go with the Bhutlah again. They are giant and bumpy all over.I'm a pretty big guy, and when I took a picture of a couple of them in my hand, they extended past my fingers on both ends. Chocolate lavas look pretty nasty though.

cycadjungle said:
I've had just about every super hot chocolate pepper there is.
For heat, no doubt, Bhutlahs! The ones I tried were 20%+ hotter than the reapers. My Primos taste about 10% hotter than reapers, but the Bhutlahs totally blew away either of these.
Taste, it is hard to beat the Douglah. It just has a complex, smokey, nutty taste that is so different than any pepper I have tried, it is hard to beat. Chocolate scorpions,habaneros, lavas, they all fall flat in taste compared to the good old Douglah.
Looks, none of them impress me, I guess, but I'd probably go with the Bhutlah again. They are giant and bumpy all over.I'm a pretty big guy, and when I took a picture of a couple of them in my hand, they extended past my fingers on both ends. Chocolate lavas look pretty nasty though.

Thanks for the detail... As much as I thought this would be a fun easter topic I'm actualy very interested as I have only started growing chocolates.

I haven't had the pleasure of a Bhutlah yet, but easily the hottest chocolate peppers I've had were from JoeMomma. They were a naga x congo. I have had reapers, brown morugas, and just about everything else under the sun, but those stood head and shoulders above anything else I've ever had.

So heat:   naga x congo
     flavor: tie for me here. Chocolate hab or chocolate bhut. I do like the flavor of the brazilian ghosts too.
     looks:  Probably a brown moruga. They just look beastly.

I have some CP115 peppers going. I have a few customers who like the chocolate morugas I've grown so I thought I'd see how they like these. These are the scorpion douglah x Butch T cross I believe? I had to try out a new strain this year just because.

WichitaChief said:
I have some CP115 peppers going. I have a few customers who like the chocolate morugas I've grown so I thought I'd see how they like these. These are the scorpion douglah x Butch T cross I believe? I had to try out a new strain this year just because.

Trying these out myself. I've got six plants going. I've seen many Butch T x Douglah crosses (growing a few from Mike Hess that are brutal) but Chris crossed this one Douglah x Butch T. According to Ted (I know I know but  haven't seen anyone else review it) it's as hot if not hotter than Chocolate Bhutlah. Review here  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIELJTQ1eEQ&list=PLpb8YfpJmFxkBNTo07VlY1ebEf7aPRbaE&index=11

For me
Heat: Three way tie between Brown Moruga, Mike Hess' Butch T x Douglah and Judy's Bhutlah
Flavor: Brown Moruga
Looks: I've seen some gnarly Kraken and Chocolate Lava

Hoping to be able to try Choc Bhutlah, Choc Lava and Choc Brain Strain this year and I'm sure my list will change lol. Looking forward to trying the Chris Phillips Douglah x Butch T Choc from above as well.

Scorched said:

Trying these out myself. I've got six plants going. I've seen many Butch T x Douglah crosses (growing a few from Mike Hess that are brutal) but Chris crossed this one Douglah x Butch T. According to Ted (I know I know but  haven't seen anyone else review it) it's as hot if not hotter than Chocolate Bhutlah. Review here  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIELJTQ1eEQ&list=PLpb8YfpJmFxkBNTo07VlY1ebEf7aPRbaE&index=11

For me
Heat: Three way tie between Brown Moruga, Mike Hess' Butch T x Douglah and Judy's Bhutlah
Flavor: Brown Moruga
Looks: I've seen some gnarly Kraken and Chocolate Lava

Hoping to be able to try Choc Bhutlah, Choc Lava and Choc Brain Strain this year and I'm sure my list will change lol. Looking forward to trying the Chris Phillips Douglah x Butch T Choc from above as well.

Certainly seems like the year of the Chocolate...

I have about 50 of the CP115's to try out and for my people who like the other chocolates. I'll have to report back at seasons end.

WichitaChief said:
I have about 50 of the CP115's to try out and for my people who like the other chocolates. I'll have to report back at seasons end.
What's the deal on those seeds that will be from your plants.. Any chance of getting some ??

Naga Chomper said:
So heat:   naga x congo

I agree with this... that naga x congo was brutal and hotter to me than the brown moruga or Judy's Bhutlah (which I thought was about equal to the brown moruga). The powder I made from the pods is awesome!!!

Taste... brown moruga and douglah, depending on the day
Looks... chocolate lava or chocolate brain strain... both look amazing

Kraken I don't isolate my plants so the seeds would be open pollinated. No telling what they would be crossed with. I bought the seeds new to me this year. I'll make a note to save some for ya if they produce. I don't know how many plants I'll put out. Kinda depends on how many plants I end up keeping.

Back