• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Taburak (also refer as Sarawak Tabasco)

This is an interesting Frutescen variety with White upright pods.  Grew commonly in the East part of Malaysia and flowers bear some resemblance to PI322717
IMG_0090.JPG

DSCN2163.JPG

DSCN4702.JPG

I have been looking at these "frutescens" from SE Asia - PI322717 in particular.

From all my searching and researching I have arrived at a conclusion that none of these "frutescens" with spots are frutescens.  They are most certainly of hybrid origin.  C. frutescens x C. baccatum is the cross - regardless of whether anyone says this is not possible I think the evidence before us clearly shows it.

I have never seen a frutescens with hairy foliage.  That trait comes from baccatum (in this case).  Also frutescens flowers the petals are somewhat revoloute (edges curl outwards - chinense they are involute - curl inwards).  These are not. 

have seen these SE Asian "frutescens" questioned on European forums and the general conversation is in line with frutescens x baccatum.

The USDA-ARS accession for PI322717 doesn't have much info except that it is a frutescens.  However if you never critically examined the thing you would also believe it.

However you can believe what you want.

Interesting observations there Robstar.  Thanks.
I am no expert but the hairy foliage you pointed is interesting observations and certainly baccatum traits is a notable connections. 
With regards to your mentions about the rovoloute petals:  pic here from a different angle shown it curling outwards (right?)
DSCN9127.JPG

Hi justecila!  The margins of the petals - the actual edge.  They roll somehat on themselves - like wave forming a tube - this will be noticeable on the back of the petals.  In this case the petals do not.  What you are referring to is reflexed petals - the petals in your pic are reflexed.  You can however notice that the petals are somewhat involute - rolling in towards the anthers/center of the flower.

I have no doubt that this is a hybrid between frutescens and baccatum - they are known to produce fertile offspring.  Enter the name of this paper (PHYLOGENETIC RELATIONSHIPS OF CAPSICUM (SOLANACEAE) USING DNA SEQUENCES FROM TWO NONCODING REGIONS: THE CHLOROPLAST atpB-rbcL SPACER REGION AND NUCLEAR waxy INTRONS Brian M. Walsh and Sara B. Hoot) into your search bar and once downloaded scroll to page 1141 (don't worry it is an excerpt from a journal so it is not 1000's of pages long!).  There is a diagram that shows all the hybridisation experiments that were carried out in CapsicumCapsicum frutescens produces viable hybrids and seeds with all subspecies of baccatum.  Your plant could easily be way down the line as regards generations and is now fixed into what it is.

Robstar..  you are so knowledgeable!!  I cannot digest it totally this moment but I will take time to do so.  Quite amazed with your feedback and I meant this very sincerely.  Thanks :rolleyes:

RobStar said:
Hi justecila!  The margins of the petals - the actual edge.  They roll somehat on themselves - like wave forming a tube - this will be noticeable on the back of the petals.  In this case the petals do not.  What you are referring to is reflexed petals - the petals in your pic are reflexed.  You can however notice that the petals are somewhat involute - rolling in towards the anthers/center of the flower.

I have no doubt that this is a hybrid between frutescens and baccatum - they are known to produce fertile offspring.  Enter the name of this paper (PHYLOGENETIC RELATIONSHIPS OF CAPSICUM (SOLANACEAE) USING DNA SEQUENCES FROM TWO NONCODING REGIONS: THE CHLOROPLAST atpB-rbcL SPACER REGION AND NUCLEAR waxy INTRONS Brian M. Walsh and Sara B. Hoot) into your search bar and once downloaded scroll to page 1141 (don't worry it is an excerpt from a journal so it is not 1000's of pages long!).  There is a diagram that shows all the hybridisation experiments that were carried out in CapsicumCapsicum frutescens produces viable hybrids and seeds with all subspecies of baccatum.  Your plant could easily be way down the line as regards generations and is now fixed into what it is.
I have spent time trying to google this article quoted by Brian Walsh but was unable to get page 1141.  Access denied! :cry:

Back