• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Something That's Working Pretty Well...

I've done about a dozen sauces now and seems I've fallen into a process that is working well and makes a lot of sense.

Instead of committing to flavors "pre-sauce" by adding them into the ferment, I am now fermenting the peppers and adding flavors at the time I make the sauce.  I am also fermenting a large batch of peppers at once (2.5 kg) and then taking a little out as i need it to make a small batch of sauce.

So, after a 45 day ferment, I take out four cups and make a sauce.  Adding whatever I feel like at the time to experiment.  Then, once that's done with, I dip back into the aging ferment for another four cups and do another sauce.  

What this has enabled me to do is actually get an aged ferment with the main batch cause I just dip, then put it back into the fridge.  I now have an aged ferment that's over 90 days old, which I never would achieve if it was a small batch and my only ferment cause I wouldn't be able to keep myself away from it.

Anyway, the best sauce so far out of doing this is the simplest one.  Peppers, sushi rice vinegar, and a little water.  Very good.

K

My first couple no.  I used mango and ginger in one, and in another I did too much...lemongrass, ginger, star anise, carrots, and mango.  All those together created an overpowering flavor.  

Now, 100 percent peppers and from one batch I've done different hot sauces.  I still have enough aging peppers to do two more different sauces.

If you don't mind sharing.... What are you fermenting in and what is your recipe for 100% peppers???
What peppers are you using, how many of each variety and other volumes???
I would like to try my hand at fermenting later this summer or fall...
Thanks!!!
FLB

I am using an orange pepper called a Chinese Lantern Pepper which are grown on Hainan Island.  These are a type of habanero I reckon.  Very hot. 

For the ferment, I used 2.5 kg in a large Chinese style wine making/pickling jar.  A photo is below.

For the base ferment, it was the de-seeded peppers, water to cover and salt according to RM's 1 tblsp per 4 cups of water (I believe that's the right combination but need to confirm it on his fermenting peppers 101 thread), and one mango for sugar to get things going.

Capsicum_chinense_-_Hainan_Yellow_Lantern_Chili_-_04.jpg

Sounds like a great premise for making a variety of sauces.

One caution would be- once the ferment is opened, don't leave it out at room temp to "keep fermenting".  The fermentation stuff happens in an oxygen-free environment.  Once you start dipping into the ferment, it probably should be refrigerated.  The aging/fermentation process will continue at a much slower rate due to the lower temps, but once oxygen gets in there, gotta go safe.

Have Fun!

kjwalker said:
I am using an orange pepper called a Chinese Lantern Pepper which are grown on Hainan Island.  These are a type of habanero I reckon.  Very hot. 

For the ferment, I used 2.5 kg in a large Chinese style wine making/pickling jar.  A photo is below.

For the base ferment, it was the de-seeded peppers, water to cover and salt according to RM's 1 tblsp per 4 cups of water (I believe that's the right combination but need to confirm it on his fermenting peppers 101 thread), and one mango for sugar to get things going.

Capsicum_chinense_-_Hainan_Yellow_Lantern_Chili_-_04.jpg

Thanks for the info!!!
I have some leftover equipment from my old wine making days that I will try to re-purpose for sauce fermentation... Most of my carboys are 5 or 6 gallons, which might be a bit large for making sauce for my own use... LOL

Btw, those are nice looking pods!!!

Thanks again!!!

You know, I never understood why people throw all their other ingredients into a ferment - in fact, that's always sounded really disgusting to me. Fermented fruit, vegetables, juices, those aren't pleasant flavors AT ALL, to my palate anyway.  Fermenting with lactobaccillis brings out a really nice complex flavor in peppers and aids in preserving them, but that whole process is just to give me one ingredient to go into a sauce that often needs to be balanced by bright, fresh flavors from fruits, etc. Ferment everything together and you've got something resembling the liquid at the bottom of my compost bucket.

haha...yea it's kinda like throwing a bunch of paint at a canvas and hoping it comes out looking nice.  Anyway, I ruined a nice batch by putting so many flavors in the ferment and now prefer to have a blank canvas of just peppers to work with in flavoring after they're fermented and aged.

Now Now no dissing fellow chili head's methods there are many benefits both ways! :) without getting into to much detail. The pure ferment is fantastic for a base as chicken wings or rooster sauce :) or on its own for pure pepper pleasure.

Know mixing in other flavors such as fruit or Sun dried tomatoes,garlic,onion,carrots and on and on is while helping with sugars to promote fermentation they also leave behind varying flavor profiles. As well as substituting wine for brining liquid. Remember experimentation make for a lot of fun. And new flavors.
Cheers

Back