• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Ferment with stems

I'm doing an experiment with leaving the stems on the pepper for the fermentation process. I ran the peppers through a food processor so everything is pretty minced.  After the fermentation is complete i will make my sauce and then strain. If flavor remains the same i will be doing this every time. I want to skip the tedious steps....hahaha

I think, if my memory serves me correctly, the fermentation of stems will result in a higher concentration of Methanol as compared to Ethanol... Although the concentration may not be high enough to worry about, you may want to research this further... I just seem to remember something about this from my wine making adventures many years ago...

FROG DOG said:
do you think sriracha inspects the insides of every pepper they process? they might but i do wonder

I highly doubt they do.  Far more likely is that they're counting on the salt content killing off the small percentage of molded peppers they get in any one batch.  I did a batch of sauce today; cut the stem end off into a bag/cut the pepper in half on its way into the blender method.  Found 2 bad molded insides in 3lbs of peppers.  Those were disposed of but then again I'm doing 3 pounds - Hoy Fung is likely doing 3 tons.  :)

Yes I've had peppers with beautiful outsides only to be cut open and have a horror show inside. Some even looked like tiny mites creeping around inside! I used to juice apples for the kids whole because my juicer can take them but I had to quarter one onetime and the core was moldy! So I cut all my produce before I eat or juice or blend anything!

Back